Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How would you resond to your democracy deciding to become a dictatorship?
I believe in democracy so I'd accept the will of the people 14 48.28%
I believe in democracy so I'd fight and protest it whatever it took 5 17.24%
Democracy is a farce. It doesn't work. Bring on the dictatorship. 3 10.34%
Democracy doesn't work. The people don't know. I'd fight it though. 6 20.69%
I don't care. I'm an island amidst a storm. 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #21
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I'm not asking whether such a scenario is possible, or whether it will happen, I'm presenting a hypothetical. What would you do if it did? What if every human bar a handful in your country wanted a dictatorship? Would you go along with the will of the people, or would you believe that your vision of what was good for them, was the right one?

Would you accept the people making a decision you believe to be "wrong".
I do not believe in pure democracy, I believe in the Constiution of the United States. Yes, in such an instance, I would fight. But, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #22
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
It lost some of its.. sparkle.. when the people at This Hour Has 22 Minutes put together a petition to hold a referendum to change Stockwell Day's name to Doris Day. Millions of people signed up.
[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] You are kidding...right? ohh that would be too too funny [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]No, I am afraid it was no joke. I signed that petition, it was in good fun though.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #23
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmn I would much prefer a Marxist state.
Not Communist as I think this is just another name for Fascism.
I think Marxism in principal would be a much better choice as a way to lead a country, the only problem is how to make it effective and not just another Fascist country.
I would like to discuss how to make this work, but I dont want to hi-jack your thread. Maybe a new thread would be better...but its hard for me to explain my ideas on a message board as i'm not very good with words...

Anyway back onto the poll, I voted "I'm an island in a storm" as i'm too young to vote so if we decide to be an outright Fascist country instead of hiding behind a Democracy and still doing what the government likes then theres nothing I can do about it.

And if I make no sense, just ignore what I've said...everyone else does...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I'm not really sure what I think on that issue. I lean towards option two, even though it's a contradiction.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-15-2003, 05:21 AM   #25
Skunk
Banned User

If that is what the people want, then that is what they should get. Of course, there ought to be the possibility to re-vote on the issue every 10 years or so in order to ensure that each generation continues to make the same choice... An interesting question
Old 05-15-2003, 06:58 AM   #26
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Whats with the sign saying what my OS is, skunk??? Whats the deal? That kinda bothers me. [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 08:18 AM   #27
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

...and now for my harshly cynical side....

There is a reason the Founding Fathers constructed the Constitution and the nature of our Republic the way in which they did, and this reason is still true today: the average person is, to put it bluntly, too stupid/unwise to make such decisions for themselves. And yes, I do believe that (but then I am sometimes an elitist; at least I am honest with myself). Pure democracy is mob rule, and it is much easier to sway a mob with savvy demagoguery than an individual person.

If a majority of people were to vote to convert to dictatorship, they would deserve to get what they want; this is a case of "be careful what you wish for because you might get it".

Although a couple of years of living under a dictatorship would help get rid of some of the crap that floats around posing as a political agenda, I would have to fight against it because the collateral damage would take decades to clean up.

A complex answer, yes, but I cannot say what I need to say any more simply.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:33 AM   #28
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Whats with the sign saying what my OS is, skunk??? Whats the deal? That kinda bothers me.
Don't worry - each person only sees their own IP - and no-one elses.
It's just a demonstration of the sort of information that can be collected from you on each and every webpage if you have VB, Java or Active X enabled on your browser...

No information is collected by yours truly, honest!

[ 05-15-2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]