Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #1
fable
Quintesson

In Florence, during the Renaissance, it came about that the physicians and attorneys were in dispute over who should take precedence in the many sacred and secular festivals and pageants of that festival-mad town. For all guildmembers took part in marching through the city; and the foremost, the richest and proudest, of course went first.

As arguments and arbitrations achieved nothing, the physicians and attorneys agreed to set up a committee that would abide by the time-old example of precedent. And in this, they were at once successful, and returned to their respective guilds bearing a message: let the physicians be first, and the attorneys, second.

How was such a conclusion reached, and so swiftly, their guild members asked. Simple, was the reply, once we looked at the precedents set by our community and other communities, since the beginnings of time. For it is apparent that the hangman always proceeds the thief on the way to the gallows; so, let the physicians proceed the attorneys, in all their festive rounds.

(That joke, believe it or not, actually appears in Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier, published around 1600. I tried giving it a bit of period feel, since the translations these days are all venacular. Really liked how it hit at two stuffy professions at once. ) )
Old 01-12-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Nice

Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Must be where the idea of lawyers chaseing ambulances came from.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook