Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Boutte
The Magister

I've fought slashed and gouged my way through armies of unspeakeble horrors, slayed all manner of men and beast, followed my foe throuhg hell itself and slain him in a glorius battle that will be sung of into the ages! WE ARE ALL HEROES!!!

I did kinda screw up however.

spoilers
~
~
~
~

With kind advice from some of the denizens of this strange land of IW I decided to install ToB in the middle of current my incarnation in Faerun. And what did appear before my wondering eye's did appear but a new and mysterious structure named The Watchers Keep! Being the bold and adventurous type my heroic companions and I set out to invstigate.

To make a long story short, I fought my through to the last level before the big bad mother at the end and decided to go back to town and come back later. There in lies the problem. Somewhere along the way I decided to go finish Irenicus off.

So guess what I left behind in town. (hint... all the stuff I need for to finish the tower.)

Anyway, I know I could summon (clua) them in but I think I'm going to start a new game, ressurecting an old friend from my PnP days. His name is Julius. He's a crusty old elven fighter/thief with a sometimes unhealthy fascination with magical items. I haven't seen him in about 20 yr,s. It's a good thing elves don't age so fast(I wish I could say the same.)

I've played through BG + BGII twice now and I had virtually the same character and party both times. Once as a figter and once as a Palladin. I think I want to try to keep the party small and even dabble in some soloing.

I'd like hearing any suggestions on playing a F/T and ideas for small paties (maybe one or two npc's at a time) Also I want to multi or dual class for the first time.

I don't think I'll start over at BG 1 but go for BGII with ToB installed. Should I use any mods.

What say ye?

[ 05-16-2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Boutte ]
Old 05-16-2003, 12:35 AM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

*jumps on this post first and hides it*

I'd like hearing any suggestions on playing a F/T and ideas for small paties (maybe one or two npc's at a time) Also I want to multi or dual class for the first time.

Try a party with Haer'Dalis and Aerie, if you're looking for small party. With those two, you've got yourself a Swiss Army Knife party. As for classing, you can't dual-class with Julius the elf. Julius the human, yes. You can only multiclass as a fighter/thief, and if you dual-class Julius the human, you can only pick a kit for the fighter (first) class, not the thief (second) class. That being said, if you dual-class, I say Wizard Slayer -> Thief for maximum powergaming play, and Archer -> Thief for good roleplay potential.

As for mods, here are my suggestions:

--Pick up the Weimer and Forgotten Wars mods. These tend to be the most stable and low on bugs.
--Item Upgrade (Weimer) comes in very handy for consolidating some items. There is the possibility for cheese, and with ToB installed, the weapon upgrades aren't all that necessary. To misquote Six, ToB is a damned candy store when it comes to weapons.
--Ease-of-Use (Weimer) includes things to smooth out gameplay. Some are realistic (unlimited stacking), some border on cheese (un-nerfed spellcasting memorization table, I think it was), and some are just Gouda ("rebalanced" shapeshifter, in case you wanted to turn Cernd into a juggernaut).
--Valen/Solaufein (Weimer) are recruitable NPCs, and their pros and cons are being juggled around some other threads at the moment. I suggest you take other NPCs before adding new ones to the game.
--Tactics (Weimer) beefs up some battles. I suggest you play through ToB at least once before installing this.
--Kelsey and Goo (FW) are two other NPCs. Again, you might want to play with NPCs that you've never partied with before bringing new ones into the game.
--Flirt Packs (FW) add new depth to male PC romances. Note I said male--Jason Compton's cranking out Anomen's flirt pack. (A little sniffle for the same guy who made Kelsey, another romancable male NPC. He's writing a flirt pack for Kelsey's competitor! A hard life a modder leads, that it is.)
--Dungeon-Be-Gone (FW) helps get your party out of Chateau Irenicus faster by adding a deus ex machina by the name of Jasper St. Baird to get you out of there faster, and with all the experience/gold/major items you would have earned. Roleplayers would frown, but the less time you spend in that place, the better, I say.

A recommended install order:

SoA
ToB
official ToB patch from Interplay
Baldurdash ToB fixpack from http://www.baldurdash.org
Forgotten Wars mods (link in Dundee's FAQ)
WeiDU mods (link in Dundee's FAQ)

Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 02:18 AM   #3
Boutte
The Magister

Pirengle....
you are a veritible font of information!