Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 02:35 AM   #1
kh00kie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have no idea how my thief backstabs. There's no icon for it, the message board doesn't say i backstabbed anything. What do I have to equip or unequip to do this? I have a Ring of Invisibility (rocks baybeh!) but when i snek up on 'em and twack 'em right at the back ..... I get normal damage. Don't tell me i have to use a dagger???!!!!
kh00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 09:07 AM   #2
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Well backstabing is a little harder to pull off in IWD but I've done it. in this since you start a a lv1 and don't get as much thief point as Bg2 a good thief is longer to form. Once your in stealf sneak behind a non-hostile target and hit him (Only humanoind, stand a chance to get the extra dammage). In combat it's abit harder I once was able to kill a hostile target with backstab but I had hidden in shadows before he turned hostile an I went directly in his back. I think in IWD if the intended target has allies it can ruin the Backstab if they see you.
Strahd Von Zarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 04:26 PM   #3
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Actually, i've only been able to backstab with daggers and shortswords. i think those might be the weapon restrictions on backstab (however, what does the cleric/thief use?). But to backstab, you need to hide in shadows then approach the enemy from behind. it does NOT matter if they are red or not. you can backstab an ogre that is harassing your fighter if you run behind it, hide successfully, then target and attack. You'll immediately see the dialogue "leaving shadows" when you target the enemy; but if your NEXT attaxk HITS, it will be for backstab damage. if you miss, run away and hide, then try again... fighter theives make excellent backstabbers
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:06 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

You can also backstab with long swords.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:47 PM   #5
kh00kie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanx guys,
I managed to backstab for the first-time last night, *phew* but it took a major amount of hiding in the shaodws and such. Currently my damage is only x3 but I guess that's not too bad. It still can't blow out a lizard boy with one strike though. Actually besides placing my pointer on a Monster to see his condition, how else will I know how much more life juice the bugger has?
kh00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:52 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Potion of Invisibility also works nicely, just make sure you are behind your victim when doing the deed.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:14 PM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

I ususally just pause, then put the pointer on a bad guy and press the TAB key.
Kill the weak!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:46 PM   #8
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Leafy, are you sure that you need to approach from behind? I thought it was the first hit made from being hidden, no matter where you approach from.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leafy:
Actually, i've only been able to backstab with daggers and shortswords. i think those might be the weapon restrictions on backstab (however, what does the cleric/thief use?). But to backstab, you need to hide in shadows then approach the enemy from behind. it does NOT matter if they are red or not. you can backstab an ogre that is harassing your fighter if you run behind it, hide successfully, then target and attack. You'll immediately see the dialogue "leaving shadows" when you target the enemy; but if your NEXT attaxk HITS, it will be for backstab damage. if you miss, run away and hide, then try again... fighter theives make excellent backstabbers
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:30 AM   #9
HiTman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So they have to be nonhostile? That would certainly explain a whole lot... stupid stupid stupid...

- HiT
HiTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:29 PM   #10
Balgin
Elminster

Back attacks should be possable with all weapons (including ranged) however some 2nd Ed GM's read the skill too literally and decided that it had to be with a stabbing weapon . In the original 1st Ed skill description (AD&D not D&D) it was made perfectly clear that the bonuses applied to any weapon held (wether proficient or not) and at the time assassins could become proficient with all weapons. (Yes, the poisoned two handed sword backstab was possible, especially if the assassination roll failed)!

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote