Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2001, 02:36 AM   #1
Kal Torak

i just joined this site so i guess since now i have the power to post things its going to my head...
here's the thing.. why the hell would someone look at a walk through for a game like bg2? its a role playing game whaere the fun is solving the puzzles and thinking up ways to beat the tough battles!! Seriously, is some one so brain dead that they can't figure this stuff out? or so lazy that the extra thinking is to much of a strain? I'm not trying to be abusive but it just seems to rip the heart out of the game.. respond if u agree or dissagree.. kinda curious about what others think about it

Old 03-22-2001, 02:40 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

welcome

why do you need a map/guide? especially your friend is in a car accident with you during vacation... yay, good luck solve the puzzles of "where is the hospital"
Old 03-22-2001, 02:45 AM   #3
Kal Torak

ok... i'm just gonna assume that post made sense to u 250 cause u lost me somewhere after the first couple of words...

Old 03-22-2001, 02:51 AM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

To be honest, I don't think ppl use walkthrough due to the laziness or brain dead factor, put it this way: You have just bought the game, you are having a blast, it is very enjoyable, until.....you come across a puzzle that you cannot solve, you can solve this by a couple of ways:
1) Bang your head into the nearest wall in frustration(assuming that you have tried to solve it and failed repeatedly;
2) Get a walkthrough.
Now, a sensible choice will probably be #2, why? The game is meant to be enjoyable and fun, not frustrating.
Others use the walkthrough to see how they played related to the general norm or see what side quests you have missed. BG2 is a big game and many ppl don't have the time to do every quest or replay the game again, this is one of the means to get such information. Of course, you can also ask someone who played the game, but this is the same concept as the walkthrough.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-22-2001, 03:01 AM   #5
BP
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ACCORD -You took the words right out of my mouth, Great response!

Old 03-24-2001, 01:30 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Accord, well said. Another thing people do is go to a forum like this one and talk about the problem!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-24-2001, 02:11 PM   #7
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I will speak for myself here. This is the first D&D game I have ever played and yes, I do realize it is an rpg game where you make decisions as you go. I personally find a walkthrough helpful and also the people on this board. I usually do a quest on my own and then go back and read the walkthrough. If I find that I've missed out on some things, I might decide to redo the quest so I can experience what I have missed. I don't think people use a walkthrough and follow it to the letter.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 03-24-2001, 02:22 PM   #8
BG2SOA

Yup, when I get stuck I usually try it 100 times,and than if I don't succed I come to ask on this forum.
Old 03-24-2001, 02:23 PM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I agree with Lady Avalon, you don´t really need a walkthrough for Baldurs Gate2 since it is not that hard and every player follows his own path.
The only reasen i use them on occasion is to learn the location of some hard to find items.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:05 PM   #10
white heron
Manshoon

mmm? This is a big BIG game and alot of folks i guess dont have the time for such a purist way of playing,-i can only speak for myself though and say that a walkthrough is extremely helpful if i cant solve a riddle,..i can read the answer and get on with my game again.There are many mistakes to be made which could potentially mean restarting your game,so a good read of a game guide will help you create a good team and avoid some of the obvious pitfalls.
I agree though that already knowing what is ahead can ruin the surprise,but nobody can really tell you how to win a battle because the fates always have their hand.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".