Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I like to play a few of the fan based modules. A number have used the CEP which I have downloaded, but even so many still have their own Hak packs. My issue is that when I go to extract certain hak files they will set up another Hak folder within the Hak folder and then when I go to load the module it warns me that it can't load because I have missing files. Well I have gone back several times and I do know that I have everything I am supposed to have. So...

1. Why do certain Hak downloads insist on creating a Hak folder within the Hak folder?

2. Could this secondary Hak folder prevent access of essential information for the game to be played or is there another issue?

Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

In general, you'll find that a hak in the secondary hak folder doesn't work. The reason it ended up that way is likely that the creator figured it'd be easier if you unpacked the file in your main directory, since not everyone knows about .hak folders.
But as it is neither a convention nor mentioned explicitly anywhere in most cases, I agree that it makes little sense.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Legolas, thanks for the quick reply. What, then, is considered the main directory file? Hak files are not executibles, but zips. Any ideas on where I need to place them and then extract them?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

The easiest thing to do is to extract them to the hak folder as you normally would, and to cut/paste the contents of any subdirectories to the /nwn/hak one. It's the same with the modules folder, you can only open modules that are right there in that particular folder, nowhere else.

It doesn't truely matter where you place the .zip, or where you extract the .hak file to. As long as that's where it ends up eventually.

[ 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Legolas, your suggestion of cut and paste was right on. Game is working fine and I learned something new. Thanks again.