Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 09:33 AM   #11
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yep. sea monkeys

never seen any of these yet... man... hehehe it's popular since you really don't have to feed them (is this true?)

fishes are a hassleif you really want a nice fish... an iguana or some insect that you just have to put in a cage and put some food is the best bet... with fishes... aquariums are just too much of a burden if you are transferring from place to place.. not to mention the unnecessary stress brought on the fishes...
Old 06-11-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

You could get yourself a budgerigar (sp?). They don't need that much space. Of course they too need care. But you won't have to worry about complains from allergy sufferers. Not many people are allergic to exotic birds and therefore they might be accepted when you move out to a new apartment. [img]smile.gif[/img] They're also cheap.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

You could also try hermit crabs, although they do smell a bit, they are easy to transport, and you dont have to feed them very often(IIRC).
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
How about a female slave ? They're much cheaper to feed, and you can make them fetch things. I have yet to see the first dog or cat that will bring you a nice cold beer from your fridge.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:28 AM   #15
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Problem solved - this is what you need

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
You could get yourself a budgerigar (sp?). They don't need that much space. Of course they too need care. But you won't have to worry about complains from allergy sufferers. Not many people are allergic to exotic birds and therefore they might be accepted when you move out to a new apartment. [img]smile.gif[/img] They're also cheap.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. I have been owned by budgies all my life, and they are the noisiest, messiest pets on the planet. You can't leave them alone over a weekend, since they need almost constant attention. It would get depressed and pull its feathers out.

People think - oh budgies, they're easy - but people who think like this have miserable unhealthy budgies. Did you know that budgies can live to be over 20 years old? Probably not, because most die of malnutrition and neglect before they reach 10 years - because people buy them and do not realise what their requirements are. They also have to have several hours out of their cage every day, and are very delicate - aerosol sprays, cleaning products, teflon cookware, smoke, incense, can all kill them quite painfully and so they are not at all suited to a dorm environment.

NOT AT ALL SUITABLE! - an opinion based on 32 years of budgie ownership - and the noise and mess drive me up the wall sometimes, and I'm used to it!

I agree with Cloudy - it is not a suitable set up for any pet really. A goldfish would probably be your best bet if you really feel the need for an animal in your life.

EDIT: to add that you're wrong - LOADS of people are allergic to birds. Parrots produce a huge amount of dust from the feather sheaths breaking down, which can cause breathing difficulties for even mild asthmatics, and can also result in a lung condition similar to asbestosis.

[ 06-11-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 AM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A love bird is a great pal too, although you don't wanna let him alone too much as well, he might get a little cranky.
Just in case you're interrested: http://www.upatsix.com/faq/lvbrdfaq.htm
Old 06-11-2003, 01:27 PM   #18
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

they now sell hermit crabs as pets and they are cool to watch and you can decorate their shells and put in new ones all the times, just a thought, but hamsters are great if you get them young
Old 06-11-2003, 01:34 PM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Gimme your address, and I will send you a prairie dog. They are quite cuddly.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Gimme your address, and I will send you a prairie dog. They are quite cuddly.
[img]graemlins/whipitgood.gif[/img] BAD Larry! *thwack*