Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 06:24 AM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I´ve been thinking of getting a pet to my dorm room for the semester months.. september till may. BUT, there is a problem of course because I live in a city where you cannot give animals much time in nature.. I also visit home almost every weekend, and I have a friend living in the same house, we have a shared kitchen. SO, I´m in need of good ideas for a pet which would fit to the current lifestyle. It should be moveable in a cage, at least..

Cat would be ideal, but I cannot stand the smells it makes, and it would wake me up from sleep continuously anyway...

Anything ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:25 AM   #2
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

How about a nice poisonous snake? They seem to be common nowadays!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:24 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

hmm a toy dog, a persian cat, or a tarantula
Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Get yourself a nice salamander!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-11-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Hamster. The obvious answer.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 06-11-2003, 08:40 AM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

What about an iguana? Peaceful, beautiful and lives of old vegetables and fruit.

But then again, it is not the most interactive animal in the world, vastly preferring inactivity over anything else unless it is hungry.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Smell... Cats...? Keep you awake at night...? Have to say I've never experienced any of those things myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cats are the cleanliest pets there are. I am constantly amazed at their ability to keep their fur clean using nothing but their tongue.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
Hamster. The obvious answer.

Boo to be precite.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:57 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

NiceWorg, I can understand your desire to have a pet, but when you're in college/university it's not the most ideal conditions for keeping one, particularly a dog or cat. They need daily care, food and attention, not to mention vet visits all of which adds up financially, and if you go away frequently, are in class during the day and have to share facilities, who will be responsible for the pet? What happens when you move or graduate- are you sure you'll be in an apartment where pets are allowed?

When I was in college and now that I work in one, I see pets discarded all the time because students move out and don't have anyplace to take the pet or just get tired of taking care of them. It's quite sad! Domestic animals don't do well being left out on their own and it's hardly fair to the pet to take it for a few months or a year and then dump it. NOT that I think you meant that, NiceWorg, it's just that I have seen it alot.

If you want a pet under the conditions you describe here, I'd suggest fish (aquarium) or maybe even those frogs they sell...what the heck are they called....sigh...someone in my dorm had them. They are black and tiny and live in aquariums. Oh well, a gecko might be good or even a hamster, you could take it home on the weekends!

[ 06-11-2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

I'd go with the ice weasel.
Actually, I'd go with Cloudy. Almost all pets are expensive, and they take up a lot of time and attention as well. If you are certain you want one, go to a pet store and ask someone who knows what pet would be right for you.
I think the sea monkeys are probably your best bet.