Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 06:27 AM   #31
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Its good to see Rolla that you are so much more qualified to make economic policy than the people who have dedicated their lives and carreers to it. Im looking foward to the day we can see your name in print as a cabinet member.

I am assuming we can also see yours there some time? If it goes for Rolla ZE, Donut, and Davros then it has to go for you too right?

What you appear to endorse is complete trust in any government on the basis that they are obviously more qualified than anyone else. I would say that the government are people just like us. We disagree with them on some issues and agree with them on others. They are not infallible, we are not infallible.

You do realise that the logical extension of yoru argument is dictatorship? After all, the voters are not expereinced enough to decide complicated economic issues. The government is the only one qualified to do that so the voters should not be allowed to mess it up. Bottom line - what you think may be siditious, scandalous, madness may be someone elses middle of the road.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 03-08-2002, 07:07 AM   #32
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:

ehmm... i could be wrong but as far as i know davros is in his 30s and donut in his 40s or somth like that. so i guess they are not what you would call "youngsters"... no offense you guys. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I'm not offended at all Noro - nice to be called a youngster once in a while. Hey Donut, you had me fooled - I thought you were younger than the Tartan Rodent (sorry Mouse) - must be that "young at heartedness" that had me fooled.

Pauly didn't roll the arm over I see, but I don't think we need the late innings relief this time .
Old 03-08-2002, 08:03 AM   #33
skywalker
Banned User

Well, I do recall Bush once saying that his job would be A LOT easier if he were a dictator.

Mark
Old 03-08-2002, 01:13 PM   #34
Moiraine
Anubis

quote:

Its good to see Rolla that you are so much more qualified to make economic policy than the people who have dedicated their lives and carreers to it. Im looking foward to the day we can see your name in print as a cabinet member [img]smile.gif[/img]

No, no, no, Magik, you have it all wrong. Politics is NOT a professional job. Politics is a matter that concerns all citizens of a country. 'Polis' in ancient greek means 'city' - politics is literally the 'business of the city'. And 'democracy' comes from two greek words, 'cratos' meaning 'power' and 'demos' meaning 'people'. In a democracy, literally 'power to the people', every citizen, you, me and Rolla, has exactly the same right to put his/her nose into political stuff ! Many of our ancestors fought and died for us to have that right ...
Old 03-08-2002, 02:03 PM   #35
Absynthe

The best thing about you, Magik, is your ability to say the most ridiculous things with a straight face. Your pontifications about age and wisdom are an absolute hoot, especially when you publicly assume that everyone who disagrees with you is younger. I realize that you are actually serious in your beliefs and opinions, but your presentation, especially your rhetorical dismissal of all opposing opinions as being ignorant or misinformed, quite destroys your credibility.
The credentials of age, travel, and military service you constantly fall back on are undermined by your lack of thoughtful discourse and bellicose debating style. With the background you claim, your arguments fall short of expectations. You seem constantly surprised at the "ignorance" of others, yet never seem to question your own standpoint.
I don't expect to get anything but vitriol in response to this, but I just had to try to get through, as you seem so sincere.

Old 03-08-2002, 02:34 PM   #36
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Now that was perfectly worded Absynthe!
I see MagiK's been p to the usual tricks of 'young people are uninformed and can't decide for themselves, I only listen to older people.'
A lot of new and inventive ideas come from young people who see more possibilities, and I think your thought is that all these ideas should be ignored due to age is just wasteful of a good resource.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]

Old 03-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #37
Dramnek_Ulk

quote:

Bush doesnt make the economic policies...he does what his cabinet members say he has to,

Read as "Bush does whatever he is told since he is nothing more than a running dog of the capitalist roaders"

Old 03-08-2002, 03:28 PM   #38
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:

Read as "Bush does whatever he is told since he is nothing more than a running dog of the capitalist roaders"

Actually, that might be a pretty heavy handed interpretation.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #39
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:

No actually read as : Bush like EVERY other president, makes the final descisions but is GUIDED by his cabinet, the people in the Cabinet are usualy (with the major exception of the first clinton term) experts in their fields. People who generally are recognized as knowing more aobut a particular subject than most others. No one president/man can be an expert in every field which is why they need and have cabinet's.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:22 PM   #40
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

"They are the idealists, the dreamers and in a lot of cases the motivators of change"

And your saying this like it is a bad thing????
Have you ever stopped to think that its because we are not so damn set in our ways we think one thing and cannot be convinced that anything else has a rats chance in hell of being right. Thats not just being conservative. That is stopping dead in the tracks and refusing to move forward any more.
Try actually listening to some of the "youngsters" for a change (even though some of them are just as old or older then you!) instead of outright dismissing their ideas as flights of fancy, and you may get a refreshing take on the world.
Try opening your eyes a bit, the world is changing and if you refuse to change with it you will be left behind.

No azure, acutally I think that without the youngsters pushing for the impossible, that a lot of innovation would not happen. It is a good thing and I do value that freshness, What I do not like is that all too frequently the "dreamers and innovators" don't learn from the past and repeat previous failures because they are unwilling to admit that those who went before them might actually have tried to do some of the same impossible things and learned that SOME things quite literally are impossible...usualy this refers to the way things work due to the nature of the beast...the beast being man....some times things work the waythey do and are screwed up the way they are due to mans very nature. [img]smile.gif[/img] In case you had the idea that I didnt value your thoughts and views...you are wrong, I do..however I also think you are wrong on all the areas where we disagree..but that isnt anything person, its just my opinion [img]smile.gif[/img]