Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
Dilbert
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is dual wield a good option for high lvl chars? My lvl 20 Ranger has 5 Basic attacks. With 2 Weapons he has 4+1 Attacks. Does this mean he attacks 4 times with the first and one time with the second hand? If that's so dual wield pretty sucks cause you hit more worse and the secondary weapon is of course a bit weaker.
And my Ranger seems to have more attacks than my other characters not based on itmes, normal?
Dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

Arrow

No idea.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

Light Bulb

Any how, a weapon does more damage than a shield ever did, and anyway, a character with high dex can dodge most attacks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

From a purely potential damage perspective, dual wielding is better for lower strength characters and 2 handed weapons are better for high STR characters.

2 Handed weapons are better for high STR characters since 2 handed weapons get 1.5 times the character's STR bonus. For example, a character with a STR of 18 would get a 2 handed STR bonus of +4 x 1.5 == +6. However, a STR 10 character would get no STR bonus (0 x 1.5 is still zero). If the low STR character does not already have 5 attacks, dual wielding will give you that extra attack for potentially more damage.

As far as high LEVEL characters ... well, I suppose that if you already have 5 attacks with a single weapon, there's no point to carrying a second weapon since you'll get no more attacks. However, some weapons have special abilities (like extra STR, or an AC bonus, etc.) that may make it worth dual wielding.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Jaramira
Dungeon Master

I prefer all of my characters to have Dual Wielding feats, high Dex, 12-16 Strength, Dodge and Deflect Arrows and weapon finesse.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilbert:
Is dual wield a good option for high lvl chars? My lvl 20 Ranger has 5 Basic attacks. With 2 Weapons he has 4+1 Attacks. Does this mean he attacks 4 times with the first and one time with the second hand? If that's so dual wield pretty sucks cause you hit more worse and the secondary weapon is of course a bit weaker.
And my Ranger seems to have more attacks than my other characters not based on itmes, normal?
No character can get 5 attacks/round without any modifiers, despite what the manual says. Four is the max, and the only way to get 5 is by dual-wielding, using a weapon that gives +1 attack, using the Rapid Shot-feat with a missile weapon or being under the effect of a spell that gives you additional attacks. If your Ranger has 5 attacks per round without any of those things in effect, you somehow got a lucky bug. In that case, yes, dual-wielding would be useless. Otherwise, no.

And yes, 4+1 attacks/round means 4 attacks with the main weapon and 1 with the off-hand weapon. You can never get more than one attack per round with your off-hand.

[ 04-21-2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
Wolven
Dungeon Master

Does the weapon in your offhand have to be smaller than the one in your normal hand so as to have no further penalty (besides de -2 with ambidex and dual wield)? I mean like in Neverwinter Nights or you can dualwield any 2 weapons with the -2 (I ask because I want my dwarf to dualwield battle axes .. yes, I know, not very original)
Old 04-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have never heard of a size penalty when it comes to dual wielding. Basically you get to decided what weapons to use in each hand.

Size doesn't matter. [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Yes it does. And I should know, because I'm a Half-Orc. And everyone knows that Half-Orcs are big. In every department. [img]tongue.gif[/img] But let's stick to the game, there are other places to discuss this kind of thing.

If your off-hand weapon isn't a shortsword or dagger, you do get additional penalties. -4 to hit for each hand instead of -2, if I'm not mistaken.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:23 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

But with ambidexterity you should be able to use a large weapon in either hand, that is the idea of ambidexterity.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote