Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 05:05 AM   #1
kondrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hello

my problem is plain simple
I equip my she-barb with two bastard swords
and she NEVER hit with both weapons in one attack
its either the left one or the right one

WHY !?!?

she's got +25 and +24 to attack (left right hand)
she's got ambideterity and two weapon fighting features
fighting with one sword in left or right hand works just fine

anyone has a clue what i am doing wrong?

kondrix
kondrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:10 AM   #2
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

well

1st)
even with those to skills u penalty is 4 (maybe even more - don't know it by heart)

bastard swords require their own feat - do u have spent at least a point in it if not u are at -8 (minimum)!!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:21 AM   #3
kondrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

please read the letter you answer to before posting an answer

i wrote i have high to hit(+24 and +25), hitting is not a problem
and i do have bastard specialization

kondrix
kondrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:38 AM   #4
Rawel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm.. I'm not sure what you mean by in one attack. If you dual-wield two bastard swords
you'll get a -4 penalty to all attack bonuses with all applicable feats i believe. (unless
a bastard sword is a small weapon for you which would get you -2).
On the other hand you get one (two with the improved two weapon fighting feat
(not sure if it's implemented in IWDII)) extra attack at you highest attack bonus with
the off hand weapon.
Example:

let's say you have a level 15 barbarian with the two weapon fighting and ambidex feats
a 24(+7) strength and wielding a bastard sword +3 in his right hand and a bastard
sword +2 in her left hand.

Your base attack bonuses for being a lv15 barb are +15/+10/+5
modified for strength +22/+17/+12
modified for two weapons (right hand) +18/+13/+8 (left hand) +18
(or if bastard sword is small for you (i doubt it though)) +20/+15/+10 (left hand) +20
and modified for magic (right hand) +21/+16/+11 (left hand) +20
(if small) +23/+18/+13 (left hand) +22

That means that you'd get 4 attacks in a round instead of three for dual wielding.
But they would all show up separate.
Hope this helps Rawel

Ps. forgot weapon focus. That makes it (right) +22/+17/+12 and (left) +21

[ 10-07-2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Rawel ]
Rawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:41 AM   #5
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not expert on the matter, so don't get mad at me, but there are a couple of things to consider. First, trying to dual wield with two massive swords--in fact, the biggest 1-handed weapon in the game--seems a bit silly. From a role-play standpoint, unless your character had ridiculously long arms, they'd be unable to swing at all without having problems.

Dual wielding two weapons of same or similar size gets you a penalty, regardless of whether or not you have the proper feats or are a ranger. Dual wielding a small blade is going to lower the penalties.

Now, if you've got +24 and +25 to attack, you're probably kind of far into the game. Remember that your 1st attack in a round will be your highest attack number and, after that, they get smaller. Maybe the problems is that your other attacks aren't good enough. But like I said, I'm no expert--I'm just guessing.

If you want to dual wield, I'd recommend using a short sword or dagger as your off weapon. Baw sie dobrze.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

All two-weapon fighting does is allow you one extra attack per round. If you check the stats page, you should see something like:

Number of attacks: 4+1.

The +1 is for your offhand weapon. You never strike twice in one attack; each attack is separate. So you would have five attacks in a round, one at time.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yeah I used to have the kind of problem with my dual wielding fighter. I previously equipped him with a +1 bastard sword and a +2 long sword. He didn't manage to hit anything until I swapped his off-hand with a +5 short sword.I think you have to equip the off-hand with a smaller sword; like a short sword or a dagger or your chance of hitting anything would be near zero. I am not an expert in this kind of thing but this is what I have learnt from my experience.

And Kondrix:
Quote:
Please be nice when replying to the posts. There are way too many posts here and sometimes we DO miss out some of the words from the posts.

[ 10-07-2002, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 10-07-2002, 03:54 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

The penalty for dual-wielding is "only" -4/-4 (main hand/off hand) when you have both two weapon and ambidexterity skills.

But this penalty is reduced to -2/-2 if the weapon in the off hand is a "small blade (i.e. short sword or dagger).

The rogues in my first 2 parties have dual wielded (with weapon finesse) either shortsword/dagger or 2 daggers very effectively. While I haven't looked closely enough to determine if I can get a hit with both blades in the same "attack", I don't bother worrying about it.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #9
Kalak
The Magister

It works just fine...the best way to tell is the % kills. This is obviously easier in early games with low level characters, and comparing to front line fighters. The problem you are probably encountering is how the random number generator works in icewind dale. More than likely, assuming they use your on board processor for it, it will role generally lower than a 'real' random number generator should. Granted they took this into account, but what it means is having two ppl or two attacks hitting one right after the other is rare unless you have VERY high BABs.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #10
Rhea
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by kondrix:

i wrote i have high to hit(+24 and +25), hitting is not a problem
and i do have bastard specialization

kondrix
Um....you didn't say in your original post that you had bastard specialization. I was about to ask you about it myself.

I'll check tonight - my half-orc barbarian is dual-wielding bastard swords, and has all applicable feats. I'll check and see what's happening.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote