Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 07:03 AM   #1
iheartjen
Welcomed New User

My problem is that my enter button does not seem to work in Wizardy 8.

When talking to npc's, I will type in the word I want and hit enter but nothing happens. For talking to npc's I just click the "talk about" button and no real harm is done.

When trying to put notes on a map, I type the note, but again my enter button doesn't finish the note. For notes on maps, I just click esc and no note is placed and no real harm is done.

When I found a fountain in Trynton (sp) that asked me a riddle, I guessed it by typing in my answer and hit enter, but again it did not work. In this case I was completely stuck. The game was not locked up, but I had to ctr alt del out of it.

Is this a typical problem people have had? Is there an easy way to fix this?

I have the 3 disc set that says version 1.2.4 and don't think I need any patches for the game. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the game to see if the problem would go away.

Please help with this issue if you can. -Thanks
iheartjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
the mighty stamar

I would say, use a utility to put the enter character on another key, such as f9.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
Gallicus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Strange. Does enter work in other games? I use 1.2.4 and enter is fine. Maybe a re-install will work too. To be safe, just move your saves to another directory.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Did you try the return button, too?
I know that i can start a combat round with the return key, but not with the enter key.

And in some other windows programs, the enter key isn't recognized if numlock is on.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 PM   #5
iheartjen
Welcomed New User

Yes my enter key works in other games.

My keyboard only has an enter / <-| key. I have no "return" key.

Could the person with the 'f9 key as enter' idea expound on what utility they may be talking about?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
iheartjen
Welcomed New User

I did some more research and have sent this following email to the tech-support at the official website.

Environment: I am running Wizardry 8 (version 1.2.4) on my Compaq Presario 1500T that is approximately 8 months old. It has a 1.4ghz celeron, 256m ddr and 32m geforce 2 and runs windows xp with direct x 8.1.

Problems:
When I talk to NPC's and I want to talk about something I can not just type it and click 'enter.' I am able to type things just fine, but when I hit enter, nothing happens. For this, I just click the 'talk about' button.

When viewing the map and trying to write text notes on the map, I am not able to. I click the spot on the map that I want, type the text, but when I hit 'enter' nothing happens. I am forced to hit 'esc' and not leave a note on the map.

When I talk to NPC's and they ask me a specific question where they want me to type in an answer I can't. (The first rat in Trynton that talks to you on the 6th bough)(The well in Trynton that asks you a riddle) I can type what I want to answer with no problems, but again hitting 'enter' does nothing. This forces me to 'ctr-alt-del' out of the game.

Attempted solutions:
Hit every key on my keyboard and likely combinations like 'ctr-enter' or 'alt-enter'
Tested 'enter' in other programs with no problems.
Tested 'enter' inside wizardry 8 as the pause button with no problems.
Uninstall the game - cold boot - reinstall the game.
Install the latest patch (even though the website says I don't need to)

Realization:
When I assign 'enter' to a key in the keyboard options of wizardry 8 it says on the right hand side "num-enter." This says to me that wizardry 8 considers my enter key as a number pad enter key and you guys did not program the game to accept the number pad enter as the enter needed to finalize the input of a string of text.

I am very frustrated with this and would greatly appretiate if you guys could help me if there is a solution.

Thanks,
William D. Leach
Old 04-24-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
When I assign 'enter' to a key in the keyboard options of wizardry 8 it says on the right hand side "num-enter." This says to me that wizardry 8 considers my enter key as a number pad enter key and you guys did not program the game to accept the number pad enter as the enter needed to finalize the input of a string of text.
It sounds that your keyboard is buggy, not the game.

Enter on the num-pad and the 'normal' new-line key (which i refered to as 'return' in my older post) are different keys on most keyboards. In a game where you can configure your keys, the game shouldn't treat this two keys identical.

If your keyboard only has one enter/return key, it should send the proper key code to the system, and not some extended code.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote