Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #11
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Conscript armies blow.. Professional armies kick azz.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #12
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Glad to see you all responded! My personal feelings are that compulsory service, be it in the military, Peace Corp or whatever is a good thing. I have been in favor of it for years! To me, it's no different than going away to college. It's an unique experience that many people no longer have the opportunity to do. People might not be so quick to take their rights and freedoms for granted, if they recognize just how lucky they are to grow up in the US or any other free country for that matter.

Hivetyrant, the draft is compulsive military service. Rangel is going to introduce a bill in Congress to force all young adults either to join the military or some other alternate service such as the Peace Corp.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Heh maybe I should read it first, but if it is the draft of old then NO but if it is to put youth in service and help with there moral fiber and charecter then, then okay. In my martial arts classes that I teach I but heads with at least 10 prospective students every month who are there to make fun of or harrass one of the student's. At a public Rec center you have to deal with all types and walks of life and I have met some of the seedier types and have helped to hjave a few perverts arrested.

edited for lack of knowlege

[ 01-03-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 01-03-2003, 01:54 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Piestrider:
Recently, our high school, along with many others around the US had to release the names of all their male students to the government. Kinda scary.
I heard about this. It is because the military wanted to enjoy the same freedoms given to people like sports scouts, that look for valuable upcoming athletes so they can whisk them away to their colleges and such. I was scouted out for a music degree at Brevard, (though never took it). So, the military wanted the same type of access. This is what I understand it to have been. If there is another reason, then I have not seen written explanation of it.

I have questions about the draft.
*Is that only for single men?
*Would that include people like me who are young, and married with children?
*Up to what level of danger to national security would they draft people who are important to their communities, like teachers or emergency personnel?
*Would the make a man with 6 children go to war?
Old 01-03-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Anyone in Canada looking for a roommate!?! plz
Old 01-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Zartan

I guess freedom and liberty may as well be lost concepts to people who want mandatory military service. If you disagree please state how one can have liberty as well as freedom and still be compulsed by law to serve in the military.

Will we lock up the many who want nothing to do with military service? Probably, so it looks like we would need a vastly bigger prison budjet as well as military.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, someone should inform the Swiss that mandatory military service can't exist in a free democratic country - cause they seem to do it fine. Every man has mandatory service and is a member of the army for life - with a mandated few weeks service per year. When the country gets called to arms (as if - they are consumate nuetrals) all the males are at least somewhat trained.

Oh, and it's at least as free there as we are here in the good ole US of A.

I wish, now that I'm pushing 30, that I had been mandated to spend a few years in the military. I toyed with the idea and visited recruiters numerous times, but kept putting it off til I finished college - then law school - now it's too late.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Very well said, Chewbacca.
You brought up a most interesting point!

I have another question to add to my previous list.
In a draft, are you told which division you will serve in, or does the individual get at least that much freedom...so that one could pick where he feels he could be of most use? Example>>>I am not physically perfect enough to be infantry, but I am sure I could fly a plane or work equipment...or even a supplies division could suit me...but I could not ever win a man against man rolling in the dirt battle.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:02 PM   #19
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, someone should inform the Swiss that mandatory military service can't exist in a free democratic country - cause they seem to do it fine. Every man has mandatory service and is a member of the army for life - with a mandated few weeks service per year. When the country gets called to arms (as if - they are consumate nuetrals) all the males are at least somewhat trained.

Oh, and it's at least as free there as we are here in the good ole US of A.

I wish, now that I'm pushing 30, that I had been mandated to spend a few years in the military. I toyed with the idea and visited recruiters numerous times, but kept putting it off til I finished college - then law school - now it's too late.
Good point about the Swiss, Though, I think size, cultural and political differences between Switzerland and the U.S. limit the impact of using the Swiss as an example.

They are neutral after all, where as the U.S. is anything but neutral with its armed forces.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:11 PM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I guess freedom and liberty may as well be lost concepts to people who want mandatory military service. If you disagree please state how one can have liberty as well as freedom and still be compulsed by law to serve in the military.

Will we lock up the many who want nothing to do with military service? Probably, so it looks like we would need a vastly bigger prison budjet as well as military.
Think of it as not letting any one get a free ride [img]smile.gif[/img] or look at it this way, Public education is compulsory and attendance is mandatory.
School is good for you, a little bit of discipline and service to the country that gives you a reletively cushy nation to live in is also good for you

If it is the thought of a little bit of danger that throws you off, get over it [img]smile.gif[/img] It is dangerous just waking up in the morning....seriously, more people die in their home than any where else...I read that somewhere....

[ 01-03-2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]