Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

I honestly want to know. THeir official website won't load cuz I haven't installed it or something, the Wizardry 8 site is a ghostown, and they are broke. I think it is safe to say the Sir-tech is dead, and wizardry nine will not come out. As much as I hate to admit it, I honestly think we won't see another game produced by them.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
KaneBloodstorm
Dungeon Master

The last I heard about Sir Tech was they filed bankruptcy and at some point said that Wizardry 8 was indeed the last they would produce. I just recently saw a PS2 version of Wizardry by a company called Atlus though so I don't know if 9 will be done by another company or if its just one of the pc gamer wishes that will never come to pass.
KaneBloodstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, they are dead. I was hoping that wizardry 8 might save them from bankrupcy as it is a good game but fate prove otherwise. I read from a thread somewhere here that some company might buy the wizardry license but so far it haven't happened yet.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

I heard something along those lines. Also, reading an article their main prob was finding buyers from Europe. But I don't know how old that article is.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
bowman_is_god
Dungeon Master

Wizardry "tale of the forsaken land" was produced by atlus ( www.atlus.com )for ps2 in 2001. It was a great game, if they do produce wizardry 9 i think they would do a good job. Although i believe it would be on ps2 if atlus did it, not that that would break my heart. ( that that? does that make sense?)
Old 07-26-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

It'd break my heart if they did it on PS2. Honestly, I prefer PC over consoles.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:53 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

Changed my mind. I don't think its dead. Look here, and the date is may 29 of 2003!!!
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsac...318b087b9c4e47
Old 07-27-2003, 01:02 AM   #8
bowman_is_god
Dungeon Master

RPGDot: Is Sir Tech gone now or are you still running it?

Robert: No, it is still going.

RPGDot: And how are chances for a Wizardy 9?

Robert: Yes, absolutely the chances are very good. I can not tell you much more than this. When some decisions are taken, and I have something to report, I will contact you.

Enough said in my opinion, looks like its going strong.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
KaneBloodstorm
Dungeon Master

Thats good to read [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope we get Wizardry 9 now.
KaneBloodstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:13 PM   #10
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Yeah, that interview throws hope out there and hints at actual work going on behind the scenes, but for some reason executives in this industry have the impression they should muzzle their developers and not let them talk about what they are doing. There are a number of reasons for that, all of which are wrong.

We do not know what is taking place of a material nature, but this interview statement does give real hope and a clear intent.

On a scale of 0 to 10, I rate the game 10, a real treasure, but the marketing of the Wizardry 8 game (that the company can actually get profit from) was and still is being handled extremely poorly. I give the marketing efforts a 1, or maybe less. The exclusive given to Electronic Boutique alienated all other retailers and greatly surpressed initial sales of the game, perhaps by a factor or 4 or 5. Many other retailers boycotted the came, at least for a month or two, after the exclusive ran out. The whole thing with an advertisment for another product entirely, right inside the game itself, raised "tacky" to new levels.

The current marketing is still downgrading the game further, treating it just like any "come and go" action game. Some versions even do not come with a printed manual now... really shortsighted stuff like that. Wizardry 9 will need far smarter marketing and executive decision than Wizardry 8. Some retailers might boycott it (W9) anyway, just to make a further point about their displeasure over the way W8 was marketed (EB exclusive).

Excellent marketing can sell total garbage, or turn sales for an excellent game into garbage. W8 sales were good, but only a small % of their potential.

[ 07-27-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: EEWorzelle ]
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote