Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 07:46 AM   #1
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

I have just yesterday finished reading The Two Towers. In preperation for the new movie I have read: The Hobbit, Fellowship of The Ring, and Two Towers. I have read all of these books, of course, many times and I was curious what reactions people who had seen the movie had. How does it compare to the book? They left Tom Bombadil, Gildor, and Glorfindel out of Fellowship: Who'd they leave out of Two Towers? I have yet to see two towers, so don't spoil it for me but I was just curious and would like to continue this thread after I see the movie (prob. today).
Old 12-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>A few of the conversations and one character interaction with another are to be found in The Book of Lost Tales, Vol. 1 & 2...and also some of the Simarillon. Without those extra reference guides...one would miss some stuff! Peter Jackson actually inserted some things into the movie for the devout lover of all things Tolkien, that could only be found in books outside the canonical set. As for your questio, and without including spoilerish material...yes...a thing or two, or a person or two is left out, due to making the movie more cinematic. It does not take away from the entirety of the story at all, and I personally feel that it helps the average viewer focus on the more dominate, more important tasks at hand.</font>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>As for your questio, and without including spoilerish material...yes...a thing or two, or a person or two is left out, due to making the movie more cinematic.</font>
<font color="cyan">
Can you email/PM me these characters? I'm guessin the things are to do with something Wormtongue throws and the conversation surrounding it, and the ending of book 5 to do with "she".

But I cannot think of the characters left out? Saw the film tonight, and am currently reading TTT for the 2nd time.</font>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>My main focus was the Hurin (sp)...in the place you know where that happened in the book, but did not in the movie...(hint: Helm's Deep)

As well, there were more Ents that talked than just Treebeard in the book. The main one was the one all the other Ents deemed as the most hasty of all the other Ents.

I am having trouble with PMs...they sometimes do not go through from my side. </font>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">I assumed you meant QB, and also "SHE" was left out, but I do not recall the Hurin, and I only read that part like a week ago!

Reminder?</font>
Old 12-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #6
Tancred
White Dragon

Erkenbrand of Westfold - the commander of the scattered forces of the Rohirrim, who with Gandalf leads an assault upon the rear of Saruman's army, fades away, his place filled by Eomer, who in the book fights alongside everyone within Helm's Deep.

Quickbeam the Ent does not appear... Treebeard lets Quickbeam entertain Merry and Pippin during Entmoot in the book, but seeing as it's quie important Merry and Pip be present at Entmoot in the film, Quickbeam fails to materialise.

Shagrat and Gorbag, the two Orc captains stationed at the tower of Cirith Ungol, do not appear, but I have a feeling that they - alongside with Shelob - will appear in Return of the King. There are also Halbarad the Ranger and Elladan and Elrohir, Elrond's sons, whose later appearance I feel less sure about; I think their place will be taken by Arwen.

Tancred
Old 12-22-2002, 09:44 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Curse...I cannot find it...but in speaking with the destruction of the host attacking Helm's Deep...everyone wsa astounded to find trees growing in the place that no forest had been the night before. That was the same time Gandalf showed up, and they thought he'd done it, but he did not take credit, and owed it to the trees...and I "thought" that they were referred to somewhere as the Hurin. I guess without proof, I have no case...but...well...that part was different in the movie. That is my main mention.</font>
Old 12-23-2002, 11:14 AM   #8
MagiK

<font color="#ff00cc">
You got it right Larry, there was a fight outside and away from Helms Deep where the Fangorn Forest sort of marched accross the land and just wiped out a host of orcs and such from Isengard. They did quite a bit of...license taking in how they did this movie, but all in all I think they got it done rather well. I still think that we will see Arwen doesnt actually go accross the sea. She should be showign up ro sending word with the sons of Elrond and the Dunadain when they show up to go with Aragorn on the paths of the dead.

I liked the move and thought it was quite good...but I am salivating over the idea of the extended length DVD. Im hoping to see more of the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog. </font>

[ 12-23-2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

Larry, thanx for the input. Everyone else also.
SPOILERS
As to your question about the trees of Fangorn, I believe they were referred-to as Huorns and were either supposed to be Ents who "had gone sleepy" or trees who were starting to become "Entish". What happened in the book was that the riding forth of the Elorningas (Rhohirrim) caused a total rout of the Isengard forces and a full retreat from Helm's Deep. The Huorns, however, were waiting for the Isengarders and not one of them came out of the strange wood alive, or was ever seen again on Middle Earth.

I saw the movie last night and was dissapointed that the Huorns were left out. Also Frodo and Sam never went to Osgiliath nor did they confront a Winged Nazgul. (unless that is contained elsewhere, but I don't think so) Faramir's encounter with Frodo, Sam, and Stinker was handled very much differently in the movie and I'm not sure I like the changes that were made. I suppose they wanted to make it seem as if the power of the Ring was such that no one could resist its call, but I think they did little justice to the glory of N'umen'ore in portraying Faramir as unable to resist the power of the One. Aragorn seemed totally unaffected by it; should he be the only living example of the former glory and splendor of N'umen'ore?

Those are just a few examples of the changes that were in the movie, but I did like it...a lot! I felt like jumping up and dancing the jig when they showed the battle of Gandalf and the Balrog in near-perfect (and nearly complete) form. (they did a splendid job on that) All-in-all I must agree w/Larry: the movie WAS good and did keep to the main plot thread of the story, so don't let my grumbling about this or that fool you...I LOVED the movie. Can't wait to see what they do with Return of the King; can't wait to see Shelob since they obviously will not leave her out nor the fact that Sam was a Ringbearer. One last note, and question, what did everyone think about Gollum?

"We shall go on to the end. We shall defend our Island: whatever the cost may be. We shall fight in the air. We shall fight in the fields and the landing-grounds and in the streets...WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!"--Winston Churchill
Old 12-23-2002, 01:02 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>I was very impressed with Gollum, though sometimes when he was jumping around and acting foolish, I kinda got a bit irritated. However, The Smeagol in him was great and humorous (like the fish song and kill part)...and my favorite was when Faramir asked Smeagol what was taken from him, and ignoring the question, he curls up beside the rock wall and begins his magnificient conversation with Gollum...as Faramir looked on, probably wondering wtf! It was amazing to see Gollum/Smeagol come to life on screen. Hey! What about that song as the credits were rolling called Gollum's song? Was that not cool? </font>