Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
perk31
Manshoon

My character suddenly stopped attacking!
Now he just stands there and ducks as when someone attacks, until I click the enemy. The same thing happens when my henchman is attacked and he used to attack freely.

I'm not in parry mode, and going into and out of parry mode does not help it.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 08-29-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
AndyG
Elminster

That happens to me too. Sometimes, my character loses sight of the opponent, and she'll just stop fighting. Other times, there's no explanation for it. It's not a big problem, just don't start a fight and leave the room.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 03:47 AM   #3
Whailor

Couple of possible causes:

First is that you went into Parry Mode. Usually the char then just stands and avoids as many attacks as it can, and does not attack back. It's not a rule though as such - if there is the chance for the Attack of Opportunity, your char would go into Parry/Riposte mode - meaning that he would be still in Parry Mode and not attack, but he would Riposte after successful Parry. However, sometimes you just don't get the Attack of Opportunity [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second thing can be that for some reason, your char lost the enemy from his sight. Sounds stupid, as the target is there, but it's one of those 3D graphical thingies heheh.. Anyway, sometimes - in my case always - it was fixed by simply moving char a bit and ordering him to attack again, and then he was back to normal.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:51 AM   #4
Darkman

I've seen my character do that a few times myself. I always assumed it was because she was caught flat-footed for whatever reason.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:01 AM   #5
Tobbin
Red Dragon

You know, here I thought I was the only one having this problem. Why is it that your character does not attack an enemy unless you specifically tell him to do so? My Ranger was walking through a dungeon one day, and was completely surrounded by undead. There were Greater Mummies, Zombie Lords, Ghasts, Ghouls, etc. What I found curious was that he allowed himself to be completely surrounded. Meaning that he didn't hack/attack anything. Just stood there. When the undead started wailing on him, he just seemed to kind of duck, but still just stood there. The only time that he would attack back was if he actually got "hit". The first second that he lost blood, he started going on a killing frenzy. It took him about 10 minutes or so, but he completely obliterated everything. Ok, now, I can understand not making him go after the enemy if they aren't surrounding him, but come on . . . He couldn't move anywhere without facing an enemy. That's weird. It was kinda cool though. I was able to test out some of the spells I have on scrolls though. I kept going through fireball until I used them up. Then I moved on to Meteor Swarm (does anyone seem to think that this is similar to a Balor's Destruction spell? Hmmmmm.) Tried Horrid Wilting, Wail of the Banshee, Wall of Fire, Cone of Cold, Prismatic Spray, etc. I like using Meteor Swarm (my personal favorite *says like the evil dude from the 5th element - LOL). Fireball was pretty cool, but I had to use a lot of them up. What was really weird was that it didn't affect me in any way. I'm from old skool D&D. What I did would have likely killed me too. I ended up with NO DAMAGE. I even outfitted my 2nd sword so I could get better dual action going. This lowers my AC by 7. In my opinion, they should have scripted a character to auto fight if they are completely surrounded. Seems really weird he would just let someone wail on him.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
perk31
Manshoon

My character was originally attacking anything in sight and defending the henchman, when I had one, but not anymore. Even surrounded, he would only attack after being hit. I just don't leave him alone now.

Tobbin:

I think what you saw is based on the difficulty setting. At normal the game is not completely true to AD&D and allows for things like a meteor spell not affecting your henchman, or vice versa. I read that setting the difficulty higher will make the game closer to hardcore AD&D.