Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2002, 06:15 AM   #21
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Anti-depressives do treaat the problem if it is a chemicla imbalance, like lo-serotonin levels. The SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) like Paxil relly do help many of my patients, and few of them remainon them more than six months. They are particularly valuable in age-related depression and post-partum depression. Of course, they should not be used indiscriminately, and, as Ziroc says, physical causes such as anemia should be ruled out first, but I find that it is rare for anything to turn up on most screenings. Depression seems to be under-diagnosed rather than over, IMHO, and frequently vague, chronic illnesses can be rooted in it. Of couse, there is a certain social stigma attached to taking them, as this thread amply proves, and I find that it is difficult to get anyone to take Prozac anymore, just because of the rumors and "Prozac Nation" stories. Pity, it is very useful in the elderly, especially.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 AM   #22
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Yes that's true [img]smile.gif[/img] . I think anti-depressants, and anti-anxiety drugs for that matter, are 'addictive' because firstly they don't treat the real problem so when you stop taking them you are still depressed so have to keep taking them to keep feeling better, and also because if you don't learn practical and non-medicational ways of making yourself feel better and stop feeling blue, you think the only way to feel better is to take drugs - it's the only thing you can do. And that's not empowering at all - if you can learn coping skills and how to make yourself happy without drugs you'll know you'll always be able to cheer yourself up if you start feeling depressed again. If you take anti-depressants, you'll learn that the only way to feel better is to take more.
Anti-depressants do make it easier though. It's just that a lot of people forget that while you take the pills, you should also talk to a therapist and try to figure out what's making you depressed. Pills don't cure what's causing it (unless the chemical imbalance is the cause). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2002, 09:46 AM   #23
Moni

I agree with Aelia Jusa's statement "I actually think the chemical imbalance is a symptom, not a cause."
I grew up depressed but never took anti depressants...it just got to a point into my twenties when I had to learn to deal with the things that bothered me or learn to live as an extremely unhappy person. You can change the chemical imbalance by changing the way you think and live but it does take time. I think anti depressants WITH counseling is a good way to stay happy while you learn...just make sure the counselor isn't keeping you down...that is how they make their money and some of them need to insure they'll always have patients. Not all counselors are that way but I've known people in that line of work and they were pretty mean about the way they manipulated people into coming back. I'd suggest a course in Psychology to learn for ourself how we and others act and react (naturally) to emotional situations so that you can recognize them in yourself and deal with them either yourself, or with the help of your family and friends.

Epona,
It sounds like you were very severly anemic! It is really not a serious matter until it gets into those later stages (your symptoms were pretty severe!) but in order to avoid letting it get that far and in order to have more energy on a daily basis, it is best to keep it in check. With the above-mentioned technique that I was taught to use to monitor my blood iron, I know not to let my middle finger get pale (even if it does, the symptoms are still not as severe as those you mention) but I tell you what...when they are [i]all[/] pink, I really feel alive!
That's a good thing!

Old 04-23-2002, 09:54 AM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well being an antipill dude I hope you will get better in a flash man and get rid of thoose pills quickly, but just you make sure to get OK alright?

Best of recovering man!!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 04-23-2002, 10:46 AM   #25
Tiamat
Banned User

Some of the ancient 'energy' control stuff could relax you!
and Im like a schizophrenic so SQI BSSH SQUI BSSSH!
Old 04-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #26
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I hope the pills help Cody [img]smile.gif[/img] Being depressed is not a nice experience at all..... I've often tried being down myself, probably not severely enough for it to qualify as depression though.

We and the rest of your friends will be here for you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2002, 11:11 AM   #27
MagiK

Sorry to hear that you are down, it is nice I suppose that you can medicate it..but If Im not mistaken..I thought I saw a post recently that said you were in your mid to late teens? I have to say, it is not at all uncommon for teens to be depressed, it is endemic to the species [img]smile.gif[/img] You may be able to just tough it out and find at the end, that it was puberty after all. This isn't meant to imply it is easy coping ...lord knows I was a hair away from killing myself or my father at several points during my teen years...I just wanted to let ya know...there is life after and not all better living is through chemicals.

Oh and just another comment about "Straight Edge" In my day [img]smile.gif[/img] hehe I sound so old....In my day, most people were straight edge, though the drugs and alcohol were present and easily accessible.

[ 04-23-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 04-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #28
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just want to say that there is alot going on here with Cody, more than can be related in a thread. Everyone's situation is different. Cody, you are doing the right thing. We will talk, hun. *hugs*
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 04-23-2002, 11:52 AM   #29
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

As my old Uncle Slappy used to say, two fingers of 100 proof schnapps will cure anything! Here's the treatment regimen.

1. Pour two fingers of 100 proof schnapps into a glass.
2. Drink quickly.
3. Wait ten minutes.
4. Repeat as necessary until the world looks better, or at least blurrier.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:26 PM   #30
Neb
Account deleted by Request

*Is suddenly happy that Sir Kenyth isn't a doctor [img]tongue.gif[/img] *