Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Cement???! Yaiks!! I would be terrified if one of my kids would eat that!! Why they do it is a mystery to me.. it seems there's a special flavour to all the weird stuff according to kids.. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

It's called the oral phase of childhood. They go around their environment to try out everything they see, see what stuff they like and what they don't like, what hurts and what's sweet. They'll put anything in their mouths, because at that stage of mental awareness, it's the only point of reference they have: taste. The phase that comes after this one is even worse
Old 10-29-2003, 08:15 AM   #12
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Stormy,
You should make sure that your husband understands that in the future if he's throwing out anything that could be poisonious to the kids should they get a hold of it, he should immeadiatly take the garbage bag OUT of the house. Leaving the dangerous material sitting in a garbage bag in the house where the kids can get to it is just as bad as leaving hazordous materials (like cleaning supplies) in reach of kids, which I'm sure you wouldn't do.

I'm glad everything worked out this time. But let it serve as a warning, and be thankful it wasn't more serious. Get your phone plugged in (even if it's not turned on) so that you have emergency service, and keep anything thats a harmful material out of their reach.

As an alternative to hooking up your phone, you can buy prepaid cell phones or get a cell phone from any cell phone dealer for about $10/month that can only be used in an emergency

[ 10-29-2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: harleyquinn ]
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 AM   #13
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Stormy, plug a phone into one of your phone jacks and you can call 911 as long as there has been phone service at your residence in the past(meaning that your house is wired). By law in the US, the phone companies cannot deny you access to emergency services just because you aren't paying them for phone service.

Now just because this service is availible doesn't mean you don't need phone service. With three small kids, a phone is as necessary as milk in the fridge, but unlike the milk, it can save lives. Poision control is a great resource, but when minutes count I would not trust an IM. In emergencies those folks need to speak with you directly, trust me, I know. You wouldn't believe how hard (and ineffective) it is to give CPR or Heimlich Manuver instructions to a third party who is 50 miles away from the actual patient.

I'm certainly glad it all worked out, and that everyone is ok. It sounds like you did what you could in this situation, but please, call the phone company today for your kids. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I don't have a phone jack in the house, but I forgot that 911 is free, I could have used my Cell phone, this is an old trailer, that no one ever bothered with, I need to put up a reminder that I can use my cell phone, thanks for the replies and advice everyone, and Harley, I already told my husband that next time, at least let me know, so if he is in a hurry to get to work, I can do something about it
Old 10-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

On the subject of cell phones, those are subject to the same laws as land lines. If you have a cell phone that will power up, you can use it to call 911 even if it is not activated. They cannot deny you emergency service because of a lack of payment.

Side note to everyone, being able to call 911 from a disconnected cell phone is both a blessing and a curse. Please never give your kids your old cell phones(with the battery still attached) to play with. They could call 911 over and over without meaning to(or because they think it's funny to scream 'rape, murder, robbery' into it) and tie up valuable resources and wasting tons of money. It happens everyday.

[ 10-29-2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-29-2003, 10:11 AM   #15
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

sorry to hear that stormy
i have a little brother that i care a lot about (hes 6 months) if that happened to him i would probably freak out too.