Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Feagil of the shadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yello all,
I was wandering if my level 10 thief, freshly finished bg1 would solo irenicus's dungeon ok?

and do you have to be level 13 thief for back stab damage multiplier of 5? Cos I want this guy to dual to a mage or sorceror... so I want the best thieving abilities possible, but I also want maximum backstab and not too long leveling up for mage. because im powerhingry for both class abilities...
Old 11-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

In short, yes, you do need to be L13 for the x5 backstab multiplier.

Or, you could choose the Assassin kit and get to L21 for a x7 multiplier.

All depends how patient you are for your abilities.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

If you want to dual class to mage, do NOT choose assasin unless you have ToB installed
Old 11-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Riftmaker
Elminster

Okay...here's some clarification.

1) Yes you have to be a level 13 thief to get backstab multiplier of x5.

2) It's debatable whether you'll have enough skill points for FT, OL, HiS and MS by level 13. However if you're going to dual to mage, you can forgo HiS.

3) You cannot dual class to a sorceror.

4) Only choose the Assassin kit if you *really* want to wait until level 21 for the x7 backstab multiplier.

5) If you dual-class at that high of a level, especially to a mage, there will be a HUGE lagtime until you get your powers back. This could present a problem when soloing.

6) You will find that memorizing spell scrolls will be the key to getting your EXP back as quickly as possible. Remember, you can memorize multiple copies of a spell by memorizing, then erasing it from your book, then memorizing it again. Use your significant amounts of excess cash to purchase all the spell scrolls in Amn.

7) If you do go the Assassin route, make sure you have the EXP cap remover portion of the Ease of Use mod installed.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
Feagil of the shadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

at level 13, I would think my thieving skills would be fairly profficient to survive the game all the way through including tob? My character has 19 dex so I get a few bonuses there...

lets work this out... Do you get 20 points or 25 points a level? I think that works out at roughly... 250 odd points at the beginning of SoA...?

Surely I would have over a 100 in pick pockets, find traps, open licks, hide in shadows and move silently? or at least a 100. I'm sure as a dualled thief mage, I can wear pick pocketing gloves and boots of stealth.

In short, would a level 13 thief get me through all of ToB too, or should I consider taking this thief to level 15?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Feagil of the shadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

at level 13, I would think my thieving skills would be fairly profficient to survive the game all the way through including tob? My character has 19 dex so I get a few bonuses there...

lets work this out... Do you get 20 points or 25 points a level? I think that works out at roughly... 250 odd points at the beginning of SoA...?

Surely I would have over a 100 in pick pockets, find traps, open locks, hide in shadows and move silently? or at least a 100. I'm sure as a dualled thief mage, I can wear pick pocketing gloves and boots of stealth.

In short, would a level 13 thief get me through all of ToB too, or should I consider taking this thief to level 15 or higher?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
Riftmaker
Elminster

You would need 100, preferably something like 125 in Find Traps and Open Locks.

If you do not plan to use invisibility spells, you'll need have ~125 in HiS. However, if you are going to use invisibility spells (and you should), you won't need any at all.

Dump everything else into MS.

PP is useless.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #8
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Feagil of the shadow:
The thief class gives 30 points a level to spend. Assassin kit only gets 20 points/level.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #9
Jorsh
Dungeon Master

What level is Imoen? She is a thief/mage dual class and I've used her as my exclusive theif all the way through ToB and I have no problems. I think she is something like a level 7 thief, level 8 mage so a level 10 thief should be enough. Granted you'll have to use thiefing potions (At least I did with Imoen) for some things. Also you could use the knock spell to open chests.
Jorsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Forget completely that the Hide in Shadows skill exists. There are no disadvantages - and a few advantages - to putting all hinding skill points into Move Silently. The only problem is that there is an effective maximum value at which point you will need to put points into HiS to improve it further. But if you plan to dual class, and especially if you dual-class early, this problem shouldn't present itself to you.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote