Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
The use of RAR! and the all caps suggests that you feel that the US commonly takes on the attitude of shouting and roaring which you feel that they will do now, even though the UK has not invited us to help.
But... they do.

Edit- It's hardly the rest of the worlds fault if the US tries to meddle into every little issue that crops up on this Earth. They're just being "nosy". [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Which is what your media and ours hopes you'll think by putting their spin on everything that happens and selectively not reporting when that agenda is not met, therefore creating the look that we only do one thing. All of this is due to the mainstream media's agenda against republicans and will cease once a democrat is in power, not because of an attitude change in government, because democrats want more government control over people's lives, but because the media will not want to embarrass their democratic party by reporting all the bad things, and focusing more on the good things (opposite of what is beind reported now). (And I know, republicans have become more democratic in their ways because they are not reducing govt. control like their party members expected...they too are just as power-hungry these days.).

Maybe the world is still amazed that the little runt in the world grew up too quickly and is handing out orders instead of taking them from the world's older powers...
1772 was a bad day for everyone else, wasn't it?
Well, blame France. They helped us immensely at a cost greater than they could afford.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
Yes, my guess was that the US, having previously suggested it would use military force against Iran's nuclear program if it continued, might threaten to use military force on behalf of it's ally in a regional problem. This is clearly an insult towards the US.

It was also a terrible insult to suggest that they would have to be crazy to do something I said they would probably not do.
This just confirms what I said. In a situation that has absolutely nothing to do with the US, you "guess" the US will do this, or that. Thanks for letting your bias against the US be shown for what it is, bias. Hey, your entitled to have your biases, just don't try to cover it up when called on it. It's counter productive, and won't fool any one with more than a fourth grade education. Believe it or not, I have some college, I can see through the veil.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:

Maybe the world is still amazed that the little runt in the world grew up too quickly and is handing out orders instead of taking them from the world's older powers...
Well, blame France. They helped us immensely at a cost greater than they could afford.
Maybe the world just can't take the ego that came with the little runt that grew up.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:

Maybe the world just can't take the ego that came with the little runt that grew up. [/QUOTE]The world will not have to worry about it much longer. Many nations are doing many things better than the US at the moment. The world will be taking back its share of things because we have become too fat and all of our kids are on ADD meds and we're letting illegal immigrants drain our resources. Maybe Canada will pick up where the US left off, once we are out of the picture.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #25
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
This just confirms what I said. In a situation that has absolutely nothing to do with the US, you "guess" the US will do this, or that. Thanks for letting your bias against the US be shown for what it is, bias. Hey, your entitled to have your biases, just don't try to cover it up when called on it. It's counter productive, and won't fool any one with more than a fourth grade education. Believe it or not, I have some college, I can see through the veil.
It's most entirely something that has to do with the US. If there is a UK action of some sort, the US will likely back it up, for example. If there is a UK action, there will likely be repercussions for the US since they are mixed with UK forces in the region.

And even if I wanted to scream USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!

I cannot see how that would be a problem, as long as what I am saying is not an attack.

My statement was also not a bias, rather, as you might have learned if you read my post, it was a guess based on previous US actions towards Iran. I even provided the logic behind my assumption.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #26
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Look dude, I read the initial article, ok? The only mention of the US was the reporting of the capture. I'll state from that there was no mention of US forces either attacking, nor being attacked. When you decide to bring the US into a story that has nothing at all to do with it, based on a totally unrelated topic, you still expect me to believe there's no anti US sentiment? I was born at night, but not last night. Be that as it may, I'm through, I'll let the totally out of context comments about the US you made speak for themselves, and people can take them any way they want. As far as I'm concerned, you took another cheap shot at US policies, because you can. That's all good, man, like I said, you are entitled to those opinions. However, lieing about them later is just pathetic.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #27
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Very well, then, you insist on making unfounded personal attacks therefore I shall henceforth ignore you. I am sure that we will both feel much better that way.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #28
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I think this is a great place to return to the thread's initial concern and worry about what will become of those men that have been captured, were they actually at fault or not (I say no), and do the UN sanctions that occurred today have anything to do with this whole ordeal.

Let's consider the topic back on track and put an end to feelings of resentment between ourselves.

To quote parts of the TOS,

Remember when debating, that you are debating the topic, not the person...Political discussion can be done in a friendly way...

No targeting of another user by harassing or giving unwarranted attention to or attacking ones...country. Also, respect each person's views and questions...

If a poster is perceived as breaking these rules, then a moderator should be asked to intervene. As one of the moderators that posted in this topic, I am aware that the Current Events Forum has been given special privelage to get more heated than the GenCon because debates are expected here. That does not mean the rules are invalid, but there is less moderator intervention in this forum than in other forums.

It is therefore important that when one of the rules of our forum appears to be broken by a poster, that we not take actions or say things that will bring us equal chastisement. Let a person hang himself without earning to swing beside him, I guess is what it comes down to.

Thanks. As thread starter of this topic, I'd hate to have to lock down my own thread in order to protect members from consequences.

Edit: I should have included this rule fragment as well...

While in a debate, or have a difference of opinion, please do not take it as an attack. We will close accounts of people that attack others, be it in a subtle way, or a deliberate loud way.

[ 03-24-2007, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #29
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Looks like America is doing some nice sabre rattling for us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6499605.stm

Quote:
US Navy starts war games in Gulf

The US Navy has begun its most extensive manoeuvres in the Gulf region since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, but denies it is aiming to unsettle Iran.

Two aircraft carriers, plus their strike groups, have sailed to the region and have begun war games involving as many as 100 US war planes.

The exercises follow Iran's capture of 15 British navy personnel, and high tension over its nuclear programme.

The US Navy said the exercises were not meant to exert pressure on Iran.

US Navy Commander Kevin Aandahl, based with the US Fifth Fleet in Bahrain, across the Gulf from Iran, said: "What it should be seen as by Iran or anyone else is that it's for regional stability and security.

"These ships are just another demonstration of that. If there's a destabilising effect, it's Iran's behaviour."

quote:
You can't fly missions over Afghanistan from the Gulf because you'd have to fly over Iran
Lt-Cmdr Charlie Brown
Each US strike group incorporates an aircraft carrier, a submarine and four or five frigates or destroyers.

The exercises involve more than 10,000 US personnel on warships and aircraft making simulated attacks on enemy shipping with aircraft and ships, hunting enemy submarines and finding mines, the Associated Press reported.

'No pressure'

Meanwhile the two groups are also supporting operations and flying missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The aircraft carrier USS Dwight D Eisenhower is in the Gulf, within reach of Iraq, while pilots on the John C Stennis, in the Arabian Sea, are flying sorties over Afghanistan.

"You can't fly missions over Afghanistan from the Gulf because you'd have to fly over Iran," explained Lieutenant-Commander Charlie Brown.

Also in the Arabian Sea is a French carrier group, led by the Charles de Gaulle, which is flying missions to Afghanistan.

France is part of the European troika that has been pressing Iran to halt uranium enrichment - a plea it has rejected.

However, Lt-Cmdr Bertrand Bonneau, chief of press for the French navy, said the deployment had "nothing at all" to do with exerting pressure on Iran.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...pe/6499605.stm

Published: 2007/03/27 14:16:15 GMT[/QUOTE]Thank-you guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tony Blair seems to have finally realised this is all a bit unacceptable and cryptically announced that we'll enter a "different phase" if negotiations are not successful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6498611.stm
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #30
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting. The US says that our presence there has "nothing" to do with the recent kidnappings. I don't think I believe that, nor will Iran. Also, notice that France is there too, not working with us but doing something similar to what we are doing, which is work totally unrelated to the recent kidnappings.

I noticed from another news source, it says that so far only Britain has been in talks with Iran concerning their missing naval crew. The US has not been asked to speak on the UKs behalf, and I would not expect them to want us to. They survived history without us, and so they probably don't even need us now. If the UK asks for our help...well, we're already there!