Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #81
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Well we won. Yay, quarter finals await. I wasn't happy with the tactics, for me it didn't work. Yes we won but we didn't score from open play (and, to be honest, didn't look like scoring from open play either).
Old 06-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #82
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

16 yellow cards and 4 red cards LOL

6 minutes was a bit generous for added time. I know it's a bit harsh, and that ref was card happy, but I'm glad Deco and Costinha aren't playing in the quarters, which is a bit of a boost for England.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #83
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

How many reds have been issued out this tournament so far?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #84
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I read that there have been 23 red cards so far... a World Cup record, and there are 12 matches to go.

BTW, the 16 yellow cards in the Portugal-Holland match ties a World Cup match record.

Interesting for a tournament whose motto is "A Time to Make Friends"....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #85
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

just watched the replay of the match and I have to say that though Ivanov had an ordinary match in terms of maintaining control, but the ill-discipline was appalling. That studs-up shoulder-high tackle on Robben was a joke and deserved a red for dangerous play. And some of the theatrics from blokes like Figo (who should be suspended for his headbutt) were unbelieveable. These kinds of incidents always seem to happen when Portugal are playing, I seem to remember it happening against France in Euro 2000 (or 2004) and against Sth Korea in the 2002 WC.

Definitely a bad advertisement for football.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #86
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
What a great game between Argentina and Mexico! And what a goal by Rodriguez! Goal of the cup for my money.
Nods head in agreement [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Though the beckham goal was stunning you have to question the goalkeepers positioning.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #87
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Can any aussie SBS viewers tell me the story behind the "I told you so" message behind the presenters on the stadium big screen? There must be a story..
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:15 AM   #88
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I feel cheated...

Portugal has won by nothing more than foul play, Figo's theatrics (he should be banned by FIFA after seeing the replays) the high shoulder kick on Robben, the semi-headbutt by figo, the numerous slow playerchanges, free kicks and shenanigans by portugal all make me think they should be owned badly in the match against England.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #89
uss
20th Level Warrior

The Portugal - Holland game was rather interesting to watch. The teams were full of anger. I'd have wanted to see what would've happened if the emotional Cr Ronaldo, who was forced to leave the game, bitter and spiteful, even more so than usually, would've had the oppritunity to stay for longer. He would've provoked many more cards, I believe. Not that I have anything against him: He's amusing to follow.

Even though I was on Portugal's side from the beginning of the game and am thus content with the outcome, it did seem like Holland deserved victory more than they did. :/

I'm very anxious about the Brazil - Ghana game. Ghana showed a surprisingly great deal of talent and vigor in their game against Czech. Easily inspired as I am, if they'd win against Brazil out of the blue (unlikely but actually seems possible), I'll start loving them for a while.

By the way, I found a rather nifty video from Google which I thought would be nice to post in here. A collection of old stylish goals. Hope you can deal with the fact that it's in Japanese. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #90
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
The Portugal vs Netherlands match was a truely disgraceful game, even worse than the Italy vs USA match for its malicious aggravation and angry spirit. I saw some of the worst bad-sportsmenship in the tournament here - I hope FIFA cracks down on it, as it certainly doesn't help the game.

Portugal logically deserve to win, since they got the goal...the Dutch seemed a little impotent when it came to the finishing ball, despite being a man to the good for awhile.

Hopefully tonight's Round of 16 clashes will restore the aesthetic order somewhat, in harmony with the two fantastic matches already played. (Germany/Sweden and the awesome Mexico/Argentina)

SoccerGuus, Soc-Soc-er Guus. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote