Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2001, 05:11 PM   #1
Jimbo
The Magister

the first federal execution in the USA. Was curious on what the rest of the members felt. Leave your voice of yeh or ney and the reason why (yes I'm a big stickler on the why).

I'll get back to you all on what I think.

I will say that I am about 40 miles from where it will happen, and no I ain't gonna go watch, got better things to do

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 06-10-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
BladeMaster

I think he should die because of all of the lives he ruined because of what he did. I think anyone who takes a life shall forfeit their own life.

------------------
Do you TIRE of MORTAL LIFE so much that you SEEK to end it at the HANDS of

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

Old 06-10-2001, 05:21 PM   #3
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

He deserves something worse than dying by a lethal injection. They should tape a pipe bomb to each hand and feet and blow them off and then throw him into a pile of salt and let him bleed slowly to death. Even that is to good for this demon!

Sorry if I scared you, or if I sound to harsh... I just really hate this monster

------------------

Keldorn's Younger brother

[This message has been edited by Row Firecam (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 05:29 PM   #4
jabidas
Silver Dragon

The reason there are so many violent murders and crimes like that in America is cause its so damn easy to get hold of the stuff. Dont anyone even bother to mention the gun lobby peoples ostrich defence of people murder not guns , it really is too pathetic at this point. Need I metion you you can join the NRA (national rifle association) at 13 and by a gun from them then, only legally it isnt a gun because it hasnt been put together properly. This and extreme right wing magazines such as guns and ammo and soldier of fortune contribute to and drive on physcos like that by advocating the use of force. American society is geared towards this shit and of course timebombs like mc vay (thats his name right) will become more frequent due to people growing up in a country thats ok with violence.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jabidas (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 05:32 PM   #5
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Personally, I don't think that he should be given the death sentence. Yes, I think he should get what he has coming to him for all of the pain and suffering that he chose to cause. But, I can think of a more suitable punishment for him.

I think that he should be put in a room, and fastened to a chair if need be. Then, I think every member of every family that he affected by his actions should be allowed to go in and talk to him. Let them rant and rave, and yell and scream, and cry, and do whatever else they want (without being allowed to touch him, so that the rest can have a chance to talk to him).

Then, when they have all been through, and said what they need to say, I think he should be put away for life, but not killed. That's getting off the easy way. He should be made to watch the video of what everyone said to him over and over again. Every day. Make him suffer as much as he has made the families of the victims suffer. Keep him under constant watch, so that he doens't have a chance to kill himself.

But, that is just my humble opinion....

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Favorite Enemy: Fluffy Hunters of all kinds
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 06-10-2001, 05:34 PM   #6
Smoothbrain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

good riddens to worthless scum. unfortunately i think the families will not be satisfied after this. i don't know if i agree with the death penalty or not. i certainly don't think it brings closure. but what do you do with them otherwise.

ok EDIT in after discussionwith RudeDawg:
well i don't know. it is an interesting dilemna. i really think he is a bit of a pawn in the whole thing. but if he is then he is an idiot. i also think some of the things he has done since getting put in jail are conceted and arrogant which seems awfully callous. i am Catholic so i should be a strong death penalty advocate right. but it seems that the system (as usual) does not work as it is supposed to. this case was an exception. they pushed his death through to appease the masses.

[This message has been edited by Smoothbrain (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old 06-10-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I personally think he is getting off easy. He ended a lot of lives and ruined families. He is not even sorry for what he did and would not hesitate to do it again so maybe it's a good idea that he dies.

------------------

Old 06-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #8
Bluestar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Zeeke75,

That is one of the best ideas that I've heard. I feel that the death is not punishment. I think it is a way to deal with people that no longer belong in our society. Punishment is something other than death.

Bluestar
Old 06-10-2001, 05:58 PM   #9
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluestar:
Zeeke75,

That is one of the best ideas that I've heard. I feel that the death is not punishment. I think it is a way to deal with people that no longer belong in our society. Punishment is something other than death.

Bluestar
Thank you, Bluestar. It's something that I've thought a lot about. The same type of punishment could be applied to so many different types of criminals...

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Favorite Enemy: Fluffy Hunters of all kinds
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 06-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Jabidas makes some very good points, though I know LOTS of you Americans won't agree.
I am not vindictive - though I understand how people could feel that way - because I believe vindictiveness would do more damage to me than to the murderer. I have no desire to degrade my inner self by acting/thinking/feeling in a way that resembles their conduct. It would make me feel dirty. (Sorry if that sounds self-righteous. I dare say I am.)
As for the death sentence, yes I am in favour of it. Two main reasons:
1) If a person DELIBERATELY and coldly kills others, that person is a danger to society for as long as s/he lives.
2) I do not see why tax-payers should pay out cash to keep them in prison for years. Which means they either have to die or they have to work hard enough while in prison, at profitable work, to PAY whatever it costs to keep them there. Which is probably not very practical.
Same work principle should apply to EVERYONE in prison for whatever misdeed. It is hardly justice that the society they have vicimised should also pay for their board, lodging and supervision.
But that's me.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-10-2001).]