Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Ironbar
Manshoon

Sorry not that type of offensive!

My problem is that my spell casters (even with magically offensive AI's and mage liscense) rarely use their offensive spells. For example they may cast one spell but will then join the fight or just join the fight without casting. They have memorised multiple magic missiles and others but refuse to cast them. In order to cast offensive spells do i have to cast manually.

Any advice?

Also, if a character has access to both mage and cleric spells (Eerie) are they meant to use both or do they only use one set?
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
ocellis
The Magister

this sound as if you let the AI handle your fights. Belive me, doing it yourself is much more enjoyable
ocellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Ironbar
Manshoon

I prefer to let the AI control magical characters because in previous RPG's i have always favoured melee characters such as barbarians and paladins. Also i didn't want to lead the party with a character more comfortable behind the action.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #4
ocellis
The Magister

You may want to check then what scripts are asigned to your magic users.
Perhaps the "Wizard Aggresive" scripts is what you are looking for.

[ 08-10-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: ocellis ]
ocellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

i almost never use scripts, thats what the pause button is used for
Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

The trouble is that that AI scrips provided with the game are pretty poor. And to do a decent job of one takes an age - a mage is a complex character with a lot of possibilities, and the scripting language is fairly pathetic. (I get angry about this, they use LUA for the debug console, and their own scripting language lacking even basic loops for the actual game scripting. Makes no sense.)

Anyhow, you will really get a lot of benefit from manual casting - the autopause options mean it isnt all that hard to do, just time consuming. Or you can download a better script, http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors1.htm has a few, probably better than the defaults. Google will turn up a few more as well.

Finaly, you could write your own, but to do that well is quite difficult, not only do you have to be able to program to some degree, you have to know what situations different spells should be used in, and the crudity of the language means that to get anything sensible, you have to do a lot of work. Any berk can write a script to cast your most powerful spells in order, but to get something that holds back on the weaker creatures that dont warrant a spell, trys not to cast spells on things that are immune to it, casts breaching spells before damage spells, keeps a sensible summon around if possible, or any of the other features you might want in a mage, takes effort.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #7
perlninja
Dungeon Master

"Also, if a character has access to both mage and cleric spells (Eerie) are they meant to use both or do they only use one set?"

Both of course, as you will see when you access Aerie's spells during a battle.
perlninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Hey- Dundee, I heard that you were working on a pretty good Mage script, but abandoned it because it was too long. Any chance that it's still workable?
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Only got to level 4 before I burnt out from the tedium. Trust me when I say it is a !@#$% to get the script to do what you want it to do. As the script gets bigger, the odds of it failing gets higher; and with spellcasting scripts... they get very big indeed.

As andrewas said... it is simple enough to make a script that anyhow casts your spells, but it is a nightmare to make it "smart".
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:19 AM   #10
Ironbar
Manshoon

Thanks for the help, i will try to adapt this into combat situations by pausing throughout.