Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2001, 11:24 AM   #111
Davros
Takhisis Follower

ROFLOLWP - you have gained an ally from all Britian for that show of support Lioness - of course you're wrong but .

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 11:50 AM   #112
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Haha, they have done it (again ) - Australia cruise to victory over Pakistan in the one day final - now for the real fun - THE ASHES .

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 12:24 PM   #113
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

As a super-12 team you would have thought NSW would be better with 12 players on the pitch - oh they were .
Jokes aside, no the Lions weren't exactly squeeky clean, but I think they were just responding to a side that had seemed to have decided to go out and cause trouble (even though 'apparently' we threw the first punch); unless 1 red card and 5 yellow cards are usual in Aussie matches. The first sin binning was unfair, but I don't think it had too much effect overall, and was perhaps just the ref being over eager with his whistle. The others I don't disagree with, the 4 sin bins calmed the whole thing down when it needed to be, whether or not the right players were picked from each side. As for McRae being sent off, he deserved it, maybe he was retaliating, but both sides were giving it as good as they got until that point. The fact he seemed pleased with himself, almost as if it was 'job well done' is making me think that the Aussies players are quite happy to go down as long as they take a few Lions players with them. Also, as it wasn't a full international he had little to loose, none of the NSW players did, they can get away with it without worring about repercusions (not just from disaplinary boards etc...). I mean, God forbid if one of the 'saints' in the Australian team would do anything against the rules, if it had been an international player being sent off it would be different reponse altogether - see the problem the Lions have in matches like these.

OK rant finished.

IMO no one won this match, and no one really gained anything good out of it. The whole thing was ugly and showed most of the worst sides of rugby. Neither side played well consistently, the Lions showed they could still score, but also showed they could give away tries, NSW pretty much did the same. After about 60 minutes the Lions were too disorgionised to be very effective, partly because of the substitutions/swapping of field postions, and party because NSW knew what they were doing. Guess you Aussies are slightly less worried know , again lots for the Lions to work on.

Well done in the cricket BTW, looks like you deserved it, even if Shane Warne is a c@*&y b*&@?@d. (They scored 60 runs while I was typing this post - scary)
Old 06-23-2001, 12:43 PM   #114
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
Seeing as I have no clue what you're talking about, or even which sport (rugby or cricket), of course I have to put my two cents in. Of course the Lions will win. There, I've just butted into a conversation I know nothing about. Good for me.

Both Rugby and Cricket at the moment, although rugby more, because the Lions are more likely to beat Australia, than the English Cricket team (happy now Davros?), although both stand a good chance.

Basically the Lions rugby team (a combination of English,Irish,Scottish and Welsh players) are in Australia at the minute, and the Australian Cricket team are over here in England. Both are really big sporting events.

If you want know the rules etc... I'm sure people will be happy to explain - there's a good explaination of cricket on this page(about 2 posts down).

One bit of advice, don't believe Davros, the Lions will win. :roar:
Old 06-23-2001, 12:51 PM   #115
Davros
Takhisis Follower

OUCH,

I was wondering who this Macrae (sp?) fellow was until I realised he must be the NSW fullback - never seen him before - if he played any super 12 games at all this year, then it would have been on the wing or as reserve (because Matthew Burke is their regular). I have no idea of his temprament, and agree he didn't cover himself in glory tonight. You are off the mark I believe on a couple of factors though - firstly, I expect the fullback (whoever he is) to be suspended from the requisite number of NSW (read super 12 next year) appearances that the offence deserves. Don't make the mistake of believing he will be unpunished - I will follow through the local news services to feed back whatever penalty he gets. Secondly, I think you are misrepresenting the wallabies in some of your "guilt by association" statements.

NSW are the mediocrity of Australian Rugby at present. They have had a long losing season, and this has been a time of frustration for them. At the time of the dust-ups,the Lions were more than a little frazzled with the fact that this team of "easy beats" were coming back at them. We are talking high spirits and major frustration on both sides. Macrae deserved what he got, but neither team were angels in what followed.

OK, enough said by me on the serious side. I am not trying to argue, and I hope you aren't taking it that way - I enjoy "ribbing the Brits" about sport, and I hope you are waiting for your opportunity to do the same if by chance the Lions do get up against the World and Tri Nation Champion Wallabies. Here's looking forward to a good series (I better go and see if I can get tickets for the 3rd test - it's here in Perth apparently ).

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 12:57 PM   #116
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking of cricket, I thought it was quite disgraceful how some idiot in the crowd threw a full beer can at Michael Bevan's head. Absolute joke. What they didn't realize was that they got caught on camera. I hope they prosecute the bugger.

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 01:11 PM   #117
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Never saw that Memmie (was channel surfing betwee the cricket and the boxing (whoops, rugby ). But what is this Donut - surely not an example of an Englishman who can't handle his alcohol and spills his drink .

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 02:36 PM   #118
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
[B]OUCH,
I may have been slightly OTT . I'm a bit knackered from getting up early after a late night - didn't mean any offence.

Quote:
I was wondering who this Macrae (sp?) fellow was until I realised he must be the NSW fullback - never seen him before - if he played any super 12 games at all this year, then it would have been on the wing or as reserve (because Matthew Burke is their regular). I have no idea of his temprament, and agree he didn't cover himself in glory tonight. You are off the mark I believe on a couple of factors though - firstly, I expect the fullback (whoever he is) to be suspended from the requisite number of NSW (read super 12 next year) appearances that the offence deserves. Don't make the mistake of believing he will be unpunished - I will follow through the local news services to feed back whatever penalty he gets. Secondly, I think you are misrepresenting the wallabies in some of your "guilt by association" statements.
The fact that he was an unknown player maybe means he has less to loose, and if he's the reserve even less. Agreed that he'll get punished, but I was also meaning that if he had been a Wallaby, or an international from any country for that matter, it would have been far more of a disgrace, there would be far more media attention... all those things that a disciplinary board can't give out - such is life I guess. There is a investigation tommorrow, hopefully everything will finish after that.

The statement about 'saintly wallibies' was meant to be more general. I'm sure every international player is guilty of getting away with a few indisgressions where they can. As I was saying above, if it had been a Lion sent off there would have been a completely different reaction. I think the Lions players have to be more warry of the consequences, missing out on a test place because they've started or got involved in something on the pitch is a huge blow.
That was all, it wasn't meant as a direct attack on the Wallabies. - I think this is what you were refering to. As it happens it's not the players that I'm loosing most respect in, it's the coaches. It's all getting very politcal on both sides, and everyone is trying a bit one-up-manship. (I think we're about 4-0 down on this count - I wish we'd stop being so British sometimes )
I'd prefer if they would all just shut up a get on with playing rugby. Arrghhhh I hate politics.

Quote:
[B]
NSW are the mediocrity of Australian Rugby at present. They have had a long losing season, and this has been a time of frustration for them. At the time of the dust-ups,the Lions were more than a little frazzled with the fact that this team of "easy beats" were coming back at them. We are talking high spirits and major frustration on both sides. Macrae deserved what he got, but neither team were angels in what followed.
Agreed - I was trying to say this in my post. We weren't playing at all well, ok NSW scored 1 try due to a bad decision (had to get it in somewhere), but we gave at least 2 of them away. Also, NSW were able to disrupt the game and we didn't like it. Whatever their coach gave them at half time worked, maybe not in the best way though. I still feel NSW set out to 'rattle' the Lions fairly or not, particuarly in the second half, but yes both sides were having a go, and both deserved to loose players.

Quote:
[B]
OK, enough said by me on the serious side. I am not trying to argue, and I hope you aren't taking it that way - I enjoy "ribbing the Brits" about sport, and I hope you are waiting for your opportunity to do the same if by chance the Lions do get up against the World and Tri Nation Champion Wallabies. Here's looking forward to a good series (I better go and see if I can get tickets for the 3rd test - it's here in Perth apparently ).
Yep - no arguing here either, I hope it wasn't taken in that way. Anyway, you've got Donut to argue with yet - I don't think there were any Australian jockeys at Ascot so you should be alright there

I'm certainly waiting to do some ribbing if we win the rugby tests, aswell as when we win the ashes.

Good series? How about; 1-1 going into the last test. All square after 80 minutes of rugby, leaving a drop goal shot out between Wilkinson and Burke
(or even better 0-3 to the Lions - we'll see eh)

Tickets? Are there any left?

Result if anyone's interested; France 15 - SA 20

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 06-23-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 05:27 PM   #119
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Just found this;

RECOMMENDED SANCTIONS FOR OFFENCES WITHIN THE PLAYING ENCLOSURE (REGULATION 16)

OFFENCE RANGE OF PENALTIES NORM
To strike an opponent with the hand, fist or arm including the elbow. 1-12 weeks

To attack an opponents eyes with any part of the hand 18-36 months 24 months

Could be very bad for McRae. From the replays it looks like he's going for the head not specifically the eyes, but I guess we'll see. There's also talk of ABH charges - I think this is more the fans though.

Old 06-25-2001, 06:03 AM   #120
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
OUCH,

I was wondering who this Macrae (sp?) fellow was until I realised he must be the NSW fullback - never seen him before
Allow an Englisman to explain to you who this Australian is. Duncan McRae is the former Saracens (that's my team) stand off - he left at the end of last season. His main claim to fame, and perhaps this is why he needed to beat the shit out of O'Gara while he was on the ground, was that he was the player who had his ribs broken by Martin Johnson in a cup game last season. Johnson was banned for 5 weeks for the use of the knee. McRae also played full back for Western Australia asainst the Lions

McRae has been banned for 7 weeks for the assault. It shouldn't suprise anyone that this happened, it's an attempt to soften the tourists up before the test matches. Dallaglio has retuned home and Greenwood is out of the first test. Keith Wood is injured and if he is ruled out the wheels might come off.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas