Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2001, 03:59 PM   #1
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

Whats the best staff ?
How do I improve my persons accuracy and number of attacks ?
At the moment he has 1 attack and only hits like 1 in 1,000,000 turns
Old 03-11-2001, 04:15 PM   #2
demus
Manshoon

Well, firstly, how far into the game are you, seccondly, what class are you playing? Tell me that and I should be able to help you out a bit more.

To improve accuracy and speed of attack you need better magical weapons. Also, going up levels also improves your thac0.

The best staff is probably the staff of Rynn (+4) or the staff of Magi (I think).

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-11-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

I'm not very good at the no of attacks thing, all I know is that fighters have better thac) etc and thus have more chance of hitting a monster and higher number of attacks so that they hit more often. So if your char is a mage (which I assume as you're asking about staffs and considering your name) maybe you could concentrate on spellcasting and let your fighters do the chopping up parts (unless you're soloing that is?)
About the staffs:
SPOILERS
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
In the earlier stages of the game, the staff of Rynn +4 (Adventurers Mart) is about as good as you can get, later on the Staff of Power and esp. Staff of the Magi are very good. Try doing the Twisted Rune quest
If you're low level and cannot kill liches yet, there are also a lot of good +2 and +3 staves available. Also a good one is the Staff Spear +2 as it requires a Quarter Staff proficiency (and can be used by mages) but does damage like a Spear.

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-11-2001, 04:26 PM   #4
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

I am a Sorcerer Lvl 11 with the staff of Rynn. I am on chapter 2 and have done 3 quests. My stronghold, the 1 with that red dragon Frikrag(something like that) and the one with that evil shadow thing.
Old 03-11-2001, 05:15 PM   #5
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

For mages, the best staff is probably Staff of the Magi, it offers some pretty useful protections and abilities. However, you mage really should not be trying to hit enemies, especially in melee combat. Mages are very slow in advancing their THAC0 or proficiencies (you only get a max of 3 anyways), spell casting is the way to deal damage for mages, not close combat for mages.

If you want to cast spells and be able to fight decent in melee, that's what fighter/mages are for.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-12-2001, 04:08 AM   #6
Sorcerer Dave
Drow Warrior

O.K. here is the situation. My Sorcerers is in a big battle. I send the rest of the party away and cast stone skin on my sorcerer. I then cast fireball and most die, i take a little damage and some are near death. I then send the fighters after any I missed or ones that are barley ingured. I send my Mage after ones near death. However I dont want to waste spells on these guys so I try to hit them with my staff. Hes such a bad shot that the monsters near death eventually stop running and start to atack then stone skin runs out and he starts to take damage or dies. All the monster needs is 1 hit with my staff to finish it and the idiot cant hit it. The inaccuracy is just ridiculas.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:57 AM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hi Sorcerer Dave!

Well, I can only add that mages/sorcerers are really not meant for melee combat.

On top of their very poor thac0 throughout the game, as a non-warrior-class they won't gain any extra attacks per round by progression in levels, either.

What you could do when you don't want to cast is using range weapons like throwing daggers or darts that give you automatically 2 respectively 3 attacks per round. The basic damage of these weapons is not very high, but there lots of cool daggers and darts in the game that do special damage (like poisoning or stunning the foe) and can be very effective. Also, wizards tend to have only average strength stats, thus they don't get a thac0 bonus with melee weapons, but they really should have a good dexterity score - almost as important as their intelligence score ! - and that grants them a thac0 bonus with range weapons.

If you like your main guy to be more versatile and flexible, you should consider taking Accord's advice - with him you always should - on switching to a fighter/mage.

Happy posting and gaming !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-13-2001, 11:32 PM   #8
Lifetime
Red Dragon

You're a Sorceror! That means Multiple Castings!
Besides, you have to rest after every few battles anyway so whats the problem with using a Chromatic Orb or a Magic Missle to Finish off that last OrC?

------------------
Why?
Old 03-13-2001, 11:44 PM   #9
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

You shouldn't be needing your mage to finish off things anyway. A mage should never get anywhere near melee. Just let the fighters do the mopping up, thats their job. Get a sling if you always want to be able to do something.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.