Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 12:50 AM   #1
daiSho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hey all... ok, all my characters are level 7-8, and i am wondering if i've reached the point where i should start training towards new roles for my characters? how far up should their primary skills be before thinking about ascending? i know the basic information about not changing a wizard before they gain high level stone, and that sort... but what about warriors, priests and rogues? what prerequisite skill levels should they have reached before switching... i.e. sword, trap, etc... any advice appreciated, i am afraid to advance forward too much from here, don't have the time to revert the game at this point and don't want to make a grave error...
daiSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:16 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Rogues and Warriors can change ASAP.

For Wizards and Priests, wait until you get high enough in your requisite spells before changing, unless changing to another profession that allows them. With Wizards, you can change to Warlock early on, since it allows you to study Sun and Stone as well...but it'll spread you pretty thin. With Priest, max out on Vine first, then switch to Paladin or Monk to pick up the remainder of Spirit. Or, conversely, max out on Spirit first, then switch to Ranger and finish out on Vine.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:29 AM   #3
daiSho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi sazerac... thx for the speedy reply! ok, what exactly would entail being 'maxed-out'? as in, the skill level itself has reached a certain level, and if so, what level? or how many spells have been gained through level advancement... (this query would apply to how high say a warriors' skill level should be in 'sword' before switching to maybe samurai or ninja, etc... as well. my party consists of the following, and next to each class listing i am listing the proposed role switch, if you could take a look and let me know if i'm on the right track it would be greatly appreciated, thx!

warrior = ??? = assasin
warrior = ninja
rogue = bard
wizard = ???
priest = monk = zenmaster
warrior = samurai

please let me know if i'm thinking straight about my parties future, and what paths i should be taking... everyone is level 7 presently, and we just reached ishad 'na...
daiSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:51 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Since you have three warriors, I'd say take one of them to either Barbarian, Paladin, or Ranger, as those are good "stepping-stone" roles. Paladin actually is one of the best, when you get the trait "Crusade", because it gives you double XP against undead. Barbarian is great because of the HP increases you get and you get to train as a thief as well...also, you can get the "Stunning Blow" trait which has a chance to paralyze. Ranger is up to you...it helps having a second person versed in Vine magic, and when you get the Fletchery trait, a Ranger becomes an arrow factory...especially with the coveted Dragon Arrow. Your money problems are at an end. [img]smile.gif[/img] Samurai, of course, is a great "ending" role for a warrior, unless you wish to change to something else. You probably will want to finish Serpent Temple, though, before getting the Samurai and Ninja roles, because those require going to Castle Shurugeon, with all the gratuitous dangers involved in that endeavor.

You will get Assassin much later in the game (after the Stout mines). It's up to you, but if you'd like, you can take your Rogue to a Ninja rather than a Bard...or wait and take the rogue to an Assassin.

If you have a Female character, you may wish her to go to Valkyrie...of course, this is almost at endgame. Same goes for Zenmaster (almost at endgame before you get it).

As far as the wizard goes, I guess the most logical progression would be warlock. However, that's up to you. Another tactic would be to get all the wizard's Stone magic spells that you want, then switch him/her to Samurai and complete Sun magic while training as a warrior.

Hope these suggestions help!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 06:26 AM   #5
Jazzid
Manshoon

Hi!
Remember also that when switching from Wizard or Warlock to any other class, spells in magic schools not applicable to your new class will be learnt at half the skill level. This means that level 7 spells will be difficult to acquire because the the guilds only allow training until level 12 (which would make you eligible to learn level 6 spells in your new class).

Another advice is to buy as many magic tomes from the guilds and invoking them before switching classes. Tomes from magic schools which isn't innate to the new class cannot be invoked even if you have the skill!

Furthermore, a good thing with switching levels is that you start from level one in the new class, and advance rapidly in levels. Every time when you've levelled up you can train in the guilds.

Finally, as Saz states, try to get the crusade trait for your warriors. The double XP on undead is awesome. I'm playing with only one character, and I can easily get more than 10 000xp for killing undead monsters.

Cheers // Jazzid