Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
robohobodude
The Magister

well as a fan of the AD&D forgotten realm games, i've had a chance to view the many aspects of what separates a mediocre game from an excellent game. Baldur's Gate and Baldur's gate 2 are both excellent games, and what i enjoyed most about them was their freedom. In the many areas of the game, there were countless quests (as well as class related quests) that ran outside of the main plot, this made the games enjoyable to play even after you've beaten it once. But as i go through icewind dale 2, i see the same repetitiveness as in icewind dale. you go from area to area, killing monsters and unwravelling a fairly straight forward plot without any outside quests and interesting characters. So far, this game has been quite a disapointment.

If there are any other things u feel icewind dale 2 is lacking, please share your opinion. And feel free to disagree with me as well.

cheers
Old 05-20-2003, 03:17 AM   #2
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, I share your pain.

I feel that they (the developers) COULD HAVE made a masterpiece out of IceWind Dale 2, if they only decided to take the time, the effort, and the possible costly risk of making a quality, non-linear game.

But... I have no say in the type of game they design and you have no say in the type of game they design.

So all we're left with is playing the game for what it's worth.

There's currently another related thread similar to this topic.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=23;t=001064

[ 05-20-2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV ]
Old 05-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The game IS good for what it is. Both Icewind Dale games have been made linear on purpose. This is not Baldur's Gate III, this is Icewind Dale, a dungeon crawl adventure game.

Complaining about Icewind Dale being linear and action based is like complaining about a Romance movie not having enough gore, which would be ridiculous.

If all you want to play is Baldur's Gate, then simply stop buying new games and play Bladur's Gate and the fan made mods. No other game will ever be Baldur's Gate because no one is trying to create a Baldur's Gate remake.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have to agree Luvian. I have both the BG series and IWD series and I enjoy both series for different reasons and there are times I may play both. The BG series has more replayability but after awhile it is good to take a break and create parties for IWD or IWD2 to get away from BG. With IWD I like to create different parties and of various sizes. With BG I like to stick with six characters and try various combinations of NPC's to see how they interact. Saying one or the other games sucks is crazy. Personally I would not want IWD to be like BG because than it would be basically BG and take away the reasons I do enjoy playing IWD.

[ 05-21-2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote