Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
Pyrius
Dungeon Master

Which do you think is the most versatile cleric in the game...I finished it with a druis but im thinkin about adding a second cleric in there....which one did you use and what were the pros and cons?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:12 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

i used battleguard of tempus.... half orc, chaotic neutral
basically i wanted a tank thats why i chose him.. he gets martial weapon and martial focus in axes and gets quite good domain spells.... i gave him high strength dex and constitution (and wisdom of course) and lowered a lot his intelligence and charisma.... (i use my paladin to turn undead, so no need for high cha for my cleric)

i think another excellenbt one would be talos.. i dint chose him because i dont like the god.. also silverstar of selune is okay

mask is good if you want to multiclass to thief, otherwise i would say dont chose him... his bonuses are useless without being a thief....

same goes for bane .. +1 to bluff diplomacy and intimidate is useless unless you want him to be the one one who talks to the ppl...

also oghma's +1 to alchemy and arcana is only useful if you want him to dual class to bard or perhaps rogue

just my opinios... many might disagree
Old 04-29-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Morninglord of Lathander and Stormthingy of Talos get lots of offensive Domain Spells (fire-based for Lathander and lightning for Talos), so if you want your Cleric to kick some buttocks spellwise one of those is your best bet.

Painbearer of Ilmater is very defense-orientated in the choice of Domain Spells, I've got a Paladin of Ilmater 2/Painbearer X in my current party, and he's quite the tank when buffed with the right spells.

The Power Words that a Lorekeeper of Oghma gets at higher levels can also be very handy. I practically always choose a Cleric based on his Domain Spells, never the other faith-based abilities. Those skill-bonuses suck, unless you dual the Cleric like ZFR stated. OTOH, some of the spell-like abilities can be handy, like Ilmater's Endurance (temporary +6 CON) or Tempus' Strength (temporary +6 STR).

Pretty much each faith has it's merits and downsides.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Mundus
Dungeon Master

imo the morninglord of lathander is pretty good cos from wot i'v seen there's more creatures wit a weakness to fire (think of all those ice trolls) than creatures wit a weakness to electricity (Talos fellow). buff-spell clerics are all very well and good but wizards hav more and better buffs (i think). But i hav'nt really tested the other cleric classes
Old 04-29-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The painbearer of Ilmater is the ONLY cleric in the game that has a special quest, however. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
The painbearer of Ilmater is the ONLY cleric in the game that has a special quest, however. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Really? I'm about to start a new party with an Ilmaterian cleric. About where in the game is this quest and is there anything you have to do specifically to initiate it?
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Spoiler:

There is a statue of Ilmater in the cemetary north of Kuldahar - but it has been bespoiled. Find a way to cleanse the statue for a nice xp reward. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 04-29-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Oooops, I forgot that there is also a special reward only for Clerics of Bane. Interstingly, both the quest for the Cleric of Ilmater and the special reward for clerics of Bane occur roughly in the same area. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #9
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

I think a cleric of Oghma is my favourite. Their identify as a domain spell is useful, cos it means you dont have to use up spell slots on anyone else (especially bards and sorcerors) with identify.

And besides, I like the thought of a cleric with a big mace and spectacles.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer

If you get Lore up high enough, you don't EVER have to cast ANY identify spells. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've managed to go the entire game without ONE identify spell. [img]smile.gif[/img]

For shear spell power, Clerics of Talos get my vote. A very nice set of domain spells. [img]smile.gif[/img] Some people prefer the Dreadmaster, or even the Battleguard of Tempus - also good choices.