Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

I HATE this stupid ice-palace battle game!
After taking on 150+ monsters (100 still to follow) I get rewarded with the famous Club of Disruption +3 (read a spoiler about it somewhere). The thing is I have not killed a single undead with it yet.
I have so far battled the following creatures with it
Shadow - no effect whatsoever (however I can turn undead on this one and I know he was "undead" in SoA)
Drowned Dead - no effect (sounded undead to me)
etc.

By the way what does the "outsiders" in the item description mean. Is there a list anywhere as to what creatures are actually to be slain with the CoD+3?
Old 05-26-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Outsiders are things that are native to other planes, or depends on energies from other planes to survive. Daemons, aasimon, elementals, high level monks, things like that.

I dont know why Shadows are not vulnerable to that club, I would have thought they would be. Drowned Dead are bugged, they are also invulnerable to turn undead (unlike in IWD1). Probably missing the undead flag, this is the sort of thing Kevin Dorner gets in Baldurdash, cept there isnt one for IWD. The other undead should be vulnerable, including things like Vampires and Liches.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You'll change your tune about that club when you start facing elementals and demons and a SINGLE hit kills them. That club is the most useful weapon in the game at that point.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:14 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

tested it a little bit more and I am still disappointed.
It may slay Demons and Elementals but they get a chance to save at no penalty
Thus they make their saves at a roll of
Elder Earth Elemental: 2
Fire Elemental: 2
Gelugon: 2
Glabrezu: 2
Apocalyptic Boneguard: 2
Cornugon: 4

This leaves me with a small 5% chance of instant kill (15% for the Cornugon).
Now don't get me wrong, I think the Club is a very balanced weapon (reminds me of the Slayer in Ultima 8), I wouldn't want a "instant kill-no save" weapon but I don't think it's worth the worry or the praise it is given.

By the way. What do the saves (roll+bonus) have to match in order to be successful? At first I figured it should match my level but then I slayed a Cornugon with a total of 12 although I'm only lvl11. I know my way rather well around in the D&D 2nd Ed. but the 3rd still won't get into my head.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Is the spell "Greater Malison" present in IWD2? I seem to recall seeing it. Anyway, if its anything like its BG2 incarnation it would make the club a lot more powerful. And it bypasses MR as well IIRC.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, Malison is in IWD2.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote