Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2002, 02:12 PM   #11
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I don't know, 'cause I have never met anyone in RL that I have met in a chatroom. In fact, the only person that I have met on IW is Galadria and she must like me, since she married me.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:20 PM   #12
Moni

I probably talk a lot more in RL (lol johnny) than I do here but I am basically the same person here that I am in real life...with the exception of some of the crazier posts I've made recently (Peasant Uprising thread for instance). You won't find me claiming to hide under a giant tortilla in real life, nor would I make one to hide under, although I did pull the snapping finders, hand making gimme motions with an order of "Cheese!" (to KHaN) in a Mexican restaurant just yesterday when I ate some hotter than I thought it was salsa on some chips before our food got to the table LOL.

Actually, I am probably more obnoxious in RL (how can it be) than I am here since most of us don't know each other in RL (or as well as we might want to believe over the internet), and I am not afraid to goof off with people I am familiar with (beyond my first encounter with Bokken LOL). I try to use caution where I might hurt someone's feelings or rub them the wrong way with a remark that I think is funny, or at least a remark that is meant to be.

Don't ask me my opinions on people I believe are complete phonys both in forums and in chat rooms lol.

Old 08-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

I met several people in France this year, two of whom I'd met before, and I all know them through this forum.

They weren't at all as I expected them to be: Donut was even cleverer than I thought (damn manacles ), Epona snored like a guy (just kidding Nigel! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] ), Moiraine (as well as her family) was ten times more generous than any sane person should be, nobody liked salty licorice except for Wolfie which was another unexpected blow, Davros liked Fosters which I never thought he would, SirTainly didn't have a horse at all, nor any penguins, Mouse and Wolfie had promised me hot animal love but they weren't quadrupedal and furry at all, what a disappointment! [img]tongue.gif[/img] and Electroman... I mean Yorick, was a lot more electronically challenged than the first time I met him!

In short Sigmar, maybe most people really ARE speaking the truth when they say they'r roughly the same online as in "real life".
All the people I met so far certainly attest to this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
See people I was expecting these replies, no offene to anyone but you aren't going to say "Well I'm a jerk in real life and I act nice here so I can make friends". (not mocking anyone here, or being intentionally rude)

So let's take this in a differant direction, have you ever encountered anyone who seemed OK in forums but acted completely differant in chatrooms or in real life.

Sorry for confusing you folks.
Yeah, i have, but i don't think it's fair to mention their names here.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:28 PM   #15
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

In short Sigmar, maybe most people really ARE speaking the truth when they say they're roughly the same online as in "real life".
All the people I met so far certainly attest to this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Melusine, I never doubted this possibility and I did believe the people above. I just meant that you're not going to openly admit you're a scumbag in real life to all the forum regulars are you?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #16
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Well, let me put it like this. In real life i'm a 15 (almost 16) year old from America. If I acted like i probably do at school on the forum, then i doubt that anybody could stand me. Then again, i do try to be myself on the forum, so i guess thats for everyone else to decide.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Melusine, I never doubted this possibility and I did believe the people above. I just meant that you're not going to openly admit you're a scumbag in real life to all the forum regulars are you?
True, so what did you expect?
BTW, I've seen the opposite a lot: people who are absolutely insufferable online, I mean REALLY trollish, but of whom I have no doubt they might be fun to hang out with offline. Probable reason is that they let the whole internet-clique thing get to them too much - they take things online a tad more serious than they should...
And I'm sure most of us have heard about internet predators who appear nice in public but get nasty in emails or PMs... but I doubt you'd get either of those people to post here, so the best you can hope for is people who are only slightly different... For instance I imagine a lot of people chat to and befriend people more easily on the Net than off it, but I would actually say that's simply because the two forms of communication are different.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:40 PM   #18
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I act like a goof online,when in real life I'm.....well I'm actually the same. I yam what I yam,and this is what I act like!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 08-25-2002, 02:51 PM   #19
Azred
Drow Priestess

Of course I am the same whether on-line or off-line. Why should I bother being someone I am not? [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Piestrider, always be yourself. People here will accept that, I assure you. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img] And stay in between the dotted white lines. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #20
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I yam what I yam and thats all that I yam....

I'm a yam! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dang, you beat me to the Yam.....didnt see your post before I made my previous post [img]smile.gif[/img] For being on opposite sides of so many issues we have similar thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Great minds think alike, though sometimes unalike, which is still alike, because two people thinking unalike are thinking alike...unalike...follow me? [img]smile.gif[/img]