Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

ok, my fathers computer is vvvvvvvverrrrrry slow. And I mean tremendously slow. It takes about 3 minutes at least to load at startup.

This is his specs:
32MB RAM
1.96GB HDD
2mb GPU
Pentium 2 processor.

Now he set me the task of finding him some upgrades to make his computer a lot faster. Now I ask, what is the best to get. He doesnt really have a budget but we're looking for something under the cost of a new computer (unless that is the best route)

His computer is used for office stuff only really, making backups etc. and doing banking and stuff. He doesnt play any games on it.
Now I was thinking maybe some more RAM a new HDD (definately) but I wasnt sure if that would be enough to do the trick. I also have a spare 32mb GPU which I could give him.

I was also wondering, is there a way to check out the rest of his specs on the computer, I mean say for mobo for compatibility reasons, and the CPU just for knowledge.

So what would be the best course to take? And also would there be a compatibility issue for say putting in a gb of ram or 512mb with the mobo. He also runs on WIN 98SE

Also bear in mind that it doesnt have to be top of the range, I mean it might aswell be if there isnt much of a price difference, but Im sure say 2ghz CPU (if that needs upgraded would probably fine)

the HDD would also be used for storing digital photos and the like so we were thinking maybe something like a 120gb

Thanks for any help

Ross
Old 03-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

You can get a new computer from Dell for <$500, and based on your stats, I'd say you are due a new machine.

Some of the experts here may address the specifics, but I suspect you'd spend as much money upgrading that one to a decent level as you would buying a new machine.

Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

It all depends on what Pent II MicroProcessor you have. Many will only allow you to bring RAM up to around 384 MB, if your lucky. Now you can put 1GB of ram in but the Pent II will only use maybe 400 MB of RAM the rest is just not utillized.
You can't put more than A 35 GB Hard drive in them they just were not designed for the bigger faster hard drives. but you can put in two 30 GB hard Drives. I did on one of my older units.

I would suggest go to E-Bay and look for someone selling a Pent III 650 MHz with a 40GB hard drive or better with windows 98se and at least 256 MB of RAM 512 would be better. you can find one for around $250.00 including shipping about the cost to upgrade your Pent II.

Try this first it should speed up the computer a little for free.
1) double click My Computer.
2) double click Control Panel
3) double click the internet options icon.
4) now click the General tab an find the area that says Temporary Internet Files
5) click Delete Cookies then wait for hour glass to turn back into your curser arrow.
6) click Delete Files once wait for curser (pointer) to change back into an arrow again
7) go down to History and press clear History.
Try these 7 steps first and see if they don't speed things up a little.
I'll get back to you later and give you some more help on speeding up your old Pent II.
I have to go back to work for now.

DON'T worry these steps will not hurt any of your dads programs they just clear up RAM space by removing junk collected when visiting different sites on the internet.

[ 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Do as TheCrimsonBlade says Defrag. Or Format if possible. Download some new drivers, but be carefull on how much stuff gets loaded on Start-up.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I have already done defrag and scandisk for him. It is still slow. It is just the general machine. Il take a look at the second hand computers and see what he says. Theres always this one which is nice and speedy, but his own one is just pish.

Also I have thought of another idea, could be a longshot and probably not worth it but he actually has 2 computers, the other is roughly the same standard (but has a bit more RAM) as the one I mentioned above, but there both sitting beside each other and they both have network cards in them. Would it be faster if he networked them together and used one purily as a server type machine, as in just running windows and all the essentials, which would free up a bit of space.

I dunno if this would really help, and Im sure he'l end up getting a new computer (whether it used or new) but we'l see.

Also BoB, I am being careful on what he has loading at startup, I have numbered that down.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

No,I'm pretty sure the network speed would slow the speed of the computer down to a crawl.
I'll give you a 3-400$ computer configuration that should work fine for work and banking and stuff. I'll get on it later, need to sleep now.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I have found the number one thing that slows down your computer is Spy ware. Every time you click on an internet site it leves a cookie on your computer. But some sites also leave something on your computer called spy ware. Its a small tracking program that these companies use to track computer usage so that they can find out what intrusts people and what kind of stuff they look at or may buy on line. That way they can sell your E-mail address to manufactuers and inturn these manufactures can send you adds to sell you their product. so I have a program site for you to down load a free tool to remove all the spyware from the computer.

http://shinobiresources.com/downloads.htm#SpyBot

I removed almost 300 spyware micro programs from my computer the first time I used Spy bot and it made my computer 600 times faster "NO LIE".
just loading ironworks on my old pent II took 90 seconds to almost 250 seconds.Then after running spyBot and tring to get on ironworks it was only taking about 35 seconds and that was when I was on dial up.
its easy to use and its freeware for the basic tool. down load from the site above and I promess it will speed up your computer.

Make sure you read the directions on how to use it,and only after reading using it.

Try this site also it has a test and you can see just how much spyware and adware you have on your computer.

http://www.spywareguide.com/

[ 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 03-16-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
It all depends on what Pent II MicroProcessor you have. Many will only allow you to bring RAM up to around 384 MB, if your lucky. Now you can put 1GB of ram in but the Pent II will only use maybe 400 MB of RAM the rest is just not utillized.
Does the motherboard have a limit to the max ammount or RAM aswell as the processor?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
The Fallen One
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
Does the motherboard have a limit to the max ammount or RAM aswell as the processor? [/QUOTE]yeah, since the processor will be the one actually using the RAM, therefore there is a limit of how much it can use.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

BoB you got that system yet?