Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
FuzzySilk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to read a book that deals with wizards/sorcerers, some form of magic where it is about the person learning the craft. I want something a little dark, not Harry Potter. Just to give you an idea some of my favorite books/authors are:
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series
Raymond E Fiest's Midkemia books
David Eddings's Books
Frank Herbert's Dune and other books
Larry Niven's Ringworld series
Issac Asimov's Foundation series

Also to give you more of an idea I am into books that deal with hacking/cyberpunk books(William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Niel Stephenson, etc), Martial Arts, virtual reality(Tom Cool's Secret Realms and Eric Nylund's Signal to Noise series), board gaming.

I like Martial Art movies where the person get's beat down and then they have to train(the training part is alwasy my favorite part of the movie for me). I am looking for something similar with the Wizard book that I am looking to read.

I love logic. Wiz Biz by Rich Cook was great because it dealt with programming and Magic. I could really get into it. Been reading about "Ars memoriae" and thought this would be great for a magic user and have found a few books but none of them really grab me.

Also I have been reading a ot of idie press role playing games lately and "Mortal Coil" and "Sorcerer" have put me in the mode to read something along these lines.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

FuzzySilk

[ 04-20-2007, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: FuzzySilk ]
FuzzySilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Based on this description, I think you'd really enjoy the Coldfire Trilogy, by C.S. Friedman. Somewhat less heavy, but very well written, is the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. (Her writing style resembles Feists')

Edit: By the way, welcome to Ironworks. Hope you'll stick around. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Knightscape
Manshoon

Covenants: A Borderlands Novel
by Lorna Freeman

http://www.amazon.com/Covenants-Bord...7104872&sr=8-9
Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Apologies for swaying off the topic, but I had to comment on the fact that although you registered in 2002...this is your first post! It took that long and this topic to bring you into our forums.

I hope you feel welcome here.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any reading referrals because I am exclusive to Forgotten Realms. Threads like this one are ones I bookmark for future reference when I finally decide to venture out and try something new. </font>
Old 04-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Dresden Files are really good and if you can find them the wizard of 4th street series ( out of print but really good)

[ 04-21-2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: toot033 ]
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
FuzzySilk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your help and input everyone. And yes I have been here for a very long time. I am mostly a lurker on whatever boards I follow.

I have ordered Black Magic Trilogy by Trudi Canavan which seems to be a great fit for what I am looking for and WebMage by Kelly McCullough which looks light but right up my alley with the techno aspect. I'll let you guys know what I think of them afterwards.

Can you tell me more about Covenants:A Borderland Novel by Lorna Freeman. It looks interesting but I wasn't sure how much it had to do with a Mage(Rabbit maybe) learning how to use their craft.

Also would like to hear more about Coldfire Trilogy, by C.S. Friedman.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzySilk:
Also would like to hear more about Coldfire Trilogy, by C.S. Friedman.
Ask and thy shall receive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldfire_trilogy

I don't recommend reading more than the part about the setting, as it contains alot of spoilers.

You can also check out this link: http://www.sffworld.com/brev/si403p0.html
It contains no spoilers, just a number of people giving their opinions on the series.

Edit: here is a description of the first book in the trilogy, Black Sun Rising.

Over a millennium ago, Erna, a seismically active yet beautiful world was settled by colonists from far-distant Earth. But the seemingly habitable planet was fraught with perils no one could have foretold, and the colonists found themselves caught in a desperate battle for survival against the fae, a terrifying natural force with the power to prey upon the human mind itself, drawing forth images from a person's worst nightmare or most treasured dreams and indiscriminately giving them life. Twelve centuries after fate first stranded the colonists on Erna, mankind has achieved an uneasy stalemate, and human sorcerers manipulate the fae for their own profit, little realising that demonic forces which feed upon such efforts are rapidly gaining in strength. Now, as the hordes of the dark fae multiply, four people - Priest, Adept, Apprentice and Sorcerer - are about to be drawn inexorably together for a mission which will force them to confront an evil beyond their imagining, in a conflict which will put not only their own lives but the very fate of humankind in jeopardy ...

[ 04-22-2007, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
FuzzySilk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

"Now, as the hordes of the dark fae multiply, four people - Priest, Adept, Apprentice and Sorcerer - are about to be drawn inexorably together for a mission which will force them to confront an evil beyond their imagining, in a conflict which will put not only their own lives but the very fate of humankind in jeopardy ..."

That part right there alone has me wanting to read this series! Guess I'll add it to my list after Black Magician Trilogy. This discription almost makes me want to go to that first but since I all ready have the other series ordered I'll put this one in the que. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I want to read a book that deals with wizards/sorcerers, some form of magic where it is about the person learning the craft.
<font color=yellow>Hmmm.... from a humorous side, Robert Asprin's Myth series. Learning magic, with lousy puns (are there any other kind?) abounding.</font>

I want something a little dark, not Harry Potter.
<font color=yellow>That rules out Myth, then...</font>

Also to give you more of an idea I am into books that deal with hacking/cyberpunk books(William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Niel Stephenson, etc), Martial Arts, virtual reality(Tom Cool's Secret Realms and Eric Nylund's Signal to Noise series), board gaming.

I like Martial Art movies where the person get's beat down and then they have to train(the training part is alwasy my favorite part of the movie for me). I am looking for something similar with the Wizard book that I am looking to read.
<font color=yellow>A series that I've really enjoyed and have reread several times is by Steve Perry. The first book is The Man Who Never Missed... I found it a great read on many levels. The rest of the series is basically the life history of every character in that book, one at a time.</font>

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
A few thoughts from here... take 'em where you want to [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
Knightscape
Manshoon

Quote:

Can you tell me more about Covenants:A Borderland Novel by Lorna Freeman. It looks interesting but I wasn't sure how much it had to do with a Mage(Rabbit maybe) learning how to use their craft.

Rabbit learning magic was an integral part of the story, but it wasn't the story in and of itself.