Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 04:19 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

So when my fiance bought her wedding dress she signed up to win a free honeymoon. Today she got call saying she had won a free vacation! She calls the number she was provided for the details and it turns out it is not free and she didnt win! The voice-recording with the details gave directions on how to get the real details and that was by paying $150 for them!
She did some more research and discovered the "free" vacation she won, was full of hidden costs and that she in reality didnt even 'win'. Everyone who entered the drawing through the bridal shop "wins".

WTF!!! Stupid scam had her hopes up for a free cruise. So be very careful if someone says you won something, especially if they ask for money for the details.

[ 02-24-2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-24-2004, 04:27 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yes, be VERY careful. In fact.... don't get married at all.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:34 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

And never... listen to a johnny... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Yes, be VERY careful. In fact.... don't get married at all.
LOL Nice try!

Its too late, well not really, but wild horses couldn't stop me now.

Besides we have lived together for five years and been engaged for two. We call it our 'practice marriage' We are ready for the big game, tried and true. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Plus she doesn't fall for stupid scams, which makes it a good thing that I don't even consider trying any stupid scams on her myself.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

This reminds me of those "free" Weekend tours, where you end up in some motel at a 4 hour sales representation.
It's called "Kaffeefahrt" in German. What's the English term?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #6
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Timeshares are what they call what they're trying to sell here in the US when they do that, Faceman. Don't know if it's called the same thing in other English speaking countries.

Chewie, I feel her frustration. I too am "scam" wise, and wound up "entering" a contest like that (didn't fall for that one either), except in that case, they didn't want money. It was for a car (a key to try to start it, the one that did, won), but you had to come look at their luxery condos first. But, they are only open during the day, during the week. Anyone that could afford those condos would be working that time, so the only people that would show up would be those that aren't working, so HOW do they expect to sell any condos? (Most agencies up here keep evening hours to sell to working people, but not that place, which makes me even more suspicious that they were maybe out to scam poorer people of money).
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

My wife DID win a free honymoon trip for us at a bridal show she went to... I was skeptical but it wasn't a scam so we went ahead and spent the first part of our honymoon there.

Nice cottage for 4 days/3 nites at Lake Placid all inclusive, probably worth a grand or so (not an inexpensive place to stay).
Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
So when my fiance bought her wedding dress she signed up to win a free honeymoon. Today she got call saying she had won a free vacation! She calls the number she was provided for the details and it turns out it is not free and she didnt win! The voice-recording with the details gave directions on how to get the real details and that was by paying $150 for them!
She did some more research and discovered the "free" vacation she won, was full of hidden costs and that she in reality didnt even 'win'. Everyone who entered the drawing through the bridal shop "wins".

WTF!!! Stupid scam had her hopes up for a free cruise. So be very careful if someone says you won something, especially if they ask for money for the details.
This kind of thing happened to me, a US company from Florida said I had won a free cruise. There was something small they needed my credit card for and they billed me for about $1500US. That was for the extra hidden cost. There was a piece of paper that I was suppose to sign so they could use my credit card, and the fact they didn't mention I still had to pay the taxes on things like hotels and stuff. They billed me before I signed or sent it back so I threatened them to refund the money or I would bring out the lawyers. That was like 2 or 3 years ago and I was lucky.

[ 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 02-25-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Chewie, I bet I can figure out the shop too! Either that or it's a really widespread scam, because I got the same call after buying my wedding gown! I told them 'no thanks' and hung up, though because I hadn't entered any contests and they insisted I had by registering at the bridal shop, which just didn't sound right.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
quietman1920

Its a scam, people. But there's a Worse timeshare scam. Lets say you're on holiday with your significant other, walking through your hotel lobby and suddenly someone says "Oh, you've won something! Come to our condos and get a free breakfast(or some such tripe)." So you agree, they insist on taking you in their corporate van, and you're at breakfast. From then on its a non-stop barrage of hardsell sales tactics. You can't leave, as they drove you (and if you don't buy, expect that return trip to be about 6pm that night). And you lose a whole day's vaction. Lets see...work all year...2 weeks vaction, 3 grand in air-fare, 3 grand in hotel fees. Divide all that by the number of days you'll be there and it comes to one hell of a pricey breakfast.

People, I only say this because I mean you well: Just say 'No' to timeshares. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.