Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
MagiK

Light Bulb

Falco? geez, I thought he only did that one song....Rock Me Ammadeus back when the Mozart movie was all the rage.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:40 AM   #12
Faceman
Hathor

OOps, wrong language.
Anyway I was only telling that most Austrians make a big deal about we were in NO way involved in WWII atrocities, when in fact a significant amount of SS-officers and concentration camp commanders have been Austrian.
Of course it was not Austria's (the country's) fault. The country is just mountains, plains, woods and rivers.
It was the people's fault and they didn't become completely different persons in 1945 when they suddenly were Austrians again and no longer Germans.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Faceman
Hathor

Falco did a lot of songs. Most of them very popular in Austria and Germany. But "Amadeus" was the only Austrian song ever to be No.1 on the US Billboard.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Almost forgot the obvious geography lesson. I am NOT from Germany but from Austria, which is the small country to the south of Germany. We are NOT a part of Germany as we were liberated by the Allied forces in 1945.
Yet "ruled" the German Empire for generations. A Hapsburg anyone?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #15
Faceman
Hathor

Habsburg with a "b"
Although they made Austria their home to rule the Holy Roman empire of Germany from Vienna for centuries the Habsburg family originated in Switzerland.

Hab = shortened Habicht - German for Hawk
s = "Genitive"
burg = castle, stronghold

They came from a castle named "Habichtsburg" (Hawk's Castle) which later shortened to Habsburg.

[ 05-30-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Faceman ]
Old 05-30-2003, 11:05 AM   #16
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Hey unsere ganze Nation gründet sich darauf Euch Deutschen die Schuld am zweiten Weltkrieg zuzuschieben. Ein Grund für unsere vergleichsweise lächerliche Vergangenheitsbewältigung.
Solange Du Dir der Fragwürdigkeit dieser arg simplifizierenden Geschichtsauffassung bewußt bist, und das scheint ja voll und ganz der Fall zu sein, habe ich keinerlei Problem damit. [img]smile.gif[/img] Und ich verstehe auch voll und ganz, daß man als Angehöriger einer vergleichsweisen kleinen und jungen Nation (wenn auch andererseits mit langer regionaler Tradition und reicher Geschichte) sehr erpicht ist, nicht verwechselt oder gar vom großen Nachbarn vereinnahmt zu werden. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #17
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Habsburg with a "b"
Although they made Austria their home to rule the Holy Roman empire of Germany from Vienna for centuries the Habsburg family originated in Switzerland.

Hab = shortened Habicht - German for Hawk
s = "Genitive"
burg = castle, stronghold

They came from a castle named "Habichtsburg" (Hawk's Castle) which later shortened to Habsburg.
Shh, Faceman, I was about to point out exactly the same to Yorick, but then I checked and for some reason Habsburg is indeed spelt Hapsburg in English.
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-30-2003, 11:13 AM   #18
Faceman
Hathor

"Habsburg" is also a possible spelling in English, though. And I can't quite see why anyone should change the spelling of a name except if there was a problem with the lacking availability of some special letters as in "Schrödinger". So I can understand "Schrodinger" but not "Schrotinger".
Is it me or is this threat becoming a little bit like the "über"-discussion?

[ 05-30-2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Faceman ]
Old 05-30-2003, 11:22 AM   #19
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I couldn't agree more: changing the spelling of proper names seems indeed odd, but is on the other hand rather common for names of longstanding importance, just think of examples like "Bourbonen" or all the first names of foreign rulers from history that are usually referred to by the German versions of their names (e.g. "Heinrich der achte" for Henry the eighth).
Old 05-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #20
Faceman
Hathor

[img]graemlins/jumpclap.gif[/img] I'm Henry the Eight I am
Henry the Eight I am, I am
I got married to a widow next door
She's been married seve times before
... [img]graemlins/jumpclap.gif[/img]

*Taking the topic somewhere completely else* [img]graemlins/treadmill.gif[/img]