Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I LOVED Dr Who...
I started with Tom Baker, but then when YTV started here, they played the entire series, right from the first episode. That was awesome. They even played some recently (at that time) discovered episodes that had been thought lost. I loved Hartnell with the dynamic between him, Susan, Ian and Barbara and also liked Baker and Davidson. I do think that my favourite was Mc Coy, as he was a good blend of the previous Doctors and brought some mystery back to the character.
Ace once asked him if he had any family and he replied "I don't know..." I guess he forgot Susan. But then again, during "The Five Doctors" Davidson (IIRC) met Susan and treated her like any other old companion, not as his long-lost grand-daughter. Perhaps she was adopted? Sad. I woul have liked something more done there... When Susan was left behind, the Doctor promised that one day he'd come back to see her, so I would have liked some continuity...
I didn't like when they tried to revive it as an American series. Sure, they had Mc Coy guest star at the beginning and even had the theme and sound effects, but I was annoyed that:
1. The Doctor gets shot by a mugger(?)
2. The Doctor suddenly needs a love interest
3. It is suddenly revealed that the Doctor is half-human (WTF?)
Old 04-03-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
Rageheart
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Pertwee and Tom Baker for me [img]smile.gif[/img] I also thought at the time it was way better than star treck, but time has been kinder to star treck than to doctor who imo.
my mom loves star trek, shes like obsessed with it, its crazy
Old 04-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #13
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Do you know ? I've even been on boards where people name themselves after chracters from the show, how sad is that ?
Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #14
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I didn't like when they tried to revive it as an American series. Sure, they had Mc Coy guest star at the beginning and even had the theme and sound effects, but I was annoyed that:
1. The Doctor gets shot by a mugger(?)
2. The Doctor suddenly needs a love interest
3. It is suddenly revealed that the Doctor is half-human (WTF?)
I agree. That Fox TV movie was the most gawdawful thing I'd ever seen. What a way to ruin the show.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #15
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
Do you know ? I've even been on boards where people name themselves after chracters from the show, how sad is that ?
It's like those boards you go where people name themselves after football teams [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilhaha.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-03-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
ocelot
Dungeon Master

I heard of the Tardes but what is it? A phone booth demensionizer is my impression from the reruns I saw. Why does everyone stand around and argue with themselves instead of kicking time travel aliens butt back into the ocean!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #17
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:
It's like those boards you go where people name themselves after football teams [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilhaha.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]They must be a bit backwards.

[ 04-03-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 04-03-2003, 11:36 PM   #18
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I began watching Dr. Who on PBS (good ol' KERA). I jumped in somewhere during Tom Baker's episodes, then eventually got to see everyone except Hartnell.

Didn't you just love Colin Baker? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by ocelot:
I heard of the Tardes but what is it? A phone booth demensionizer is my impression from the reruns I saw.
TARDIS, as all well-versed Who fans know, stands for Time And Relative Dimensions in Space. Technically, the Doctor's TARDIS was a police call box rather than a phone booth.

Anyway...how about favorite villains? Personally, I always liked the Master, but only as played by Roger Delgado. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

[ 04-03-2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:38 AM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Actually, the TARDIS was designed to blend in with its surroundings. Unfortunately, the Doctor's TARDIS was a bit on the misbehaving side, and when it first appeared in England, after taking the shape of a call box, it froze that way, and wouldn't change into anything else.

Boy, it's been a long time. Favorite villains? I kind of liked Turlow. Although he was a companion, he wasn't squeaky clean by any means...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:14 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Some of us had that nickname in Primary School silly - and your maths should tell you that Primary school for me is John Pertwee. Your brother wasn't around to correct you this time, so I accepted the onus of "putting you right"