Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2000, 12:13 AM   #1
the mick

Just a quick question...
I am now restarting my game and was wondering what everyone thought might be the best way to construct a party(clans, roles, when and what to ascend?). I have been thinking of trying to go with major magic and have come up with this...
Warrior->Ranger->Barbarian->Assassin
Priest->Warlock->Samurai
Wizard->Warlock->Monk
Wizard->Warlock-&gtaladin
Wizard->Warlock
Priest->Warlock
With the Warrior, advance quickly, then advance to Barbarian after getting Whirling Dervish.
With the Priest, wait for Dust to Dust in Spirit, Whirling Dervish in Vine, Demonic Fist in Fiend, and Icestorm in Moon.
With the two Wizards, wait for Meteorstorm in Stone, Firestorm in Sun, Icestorm in Moon, and Demonic Fist in Fiend.
The two spellslingers who stay as Warlocks would acquire all spells, and work on their Enchant/Bless skills. I might advance them to Valkyrie, Zenmaster later...
Well, just wondering what everyone thought, and suggestions if anyone has some different ideas.
thanks,
Evermenace
Old 12-21-2000, 12:29 AM   #2
teefha

folks, whats with all the nice chests on the way? I think, a Thief is good to have (mine is now a mage amd good like all the others...)

teefha
Old 12-21-2000, 03:50 AM   #3
Lily the Ranger

I too am pondering what the makeup of my next party will be. I heard of one fellow who played thru with just one character . . . said advancement was quicker. I may try five, four if I summon the nerve. I also want to experience other clans. Lizzord, Whiskah, Gourk, Dwarf, Oomphaz didn't get much play. At first I had 8 characters but realised the level ups would be fewer so dropped down to six. There is also the option to start with your old characters as though they haven't down any of the quests. I get the impression you get to keep your levels but am not sure how it works. I will be starting from scratch, myself. I really depend on magic a lot. Think there is more advantage to switching roles three, maybe for times at most. The only thing I would question about your plan is the lack of a rogue to open chests, although if your Warrior ascended to Barbarian he could get the skills while a barbarian.
Old 12-21-2000, 04:01 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

My thoughts on a replay :

1) I would go in with 4 characters - seems a good balance between carrying things and the experience boost (greater share for kills) - also reduces maintenance cost of equipping / training.
2) I would aim to have all characters having most if not all spells (with the exception that it takes too much patience to drag valkyrie and zenmaster up in stone before getting back for the kill.
3) Would aim to have all characters at temple level 5 (Jathil quest) in time for Paladin quest so that they can get Crusade skill before Skull castle
4) Would transition all characters through warlock to take advantage of max 24 strength bonuses of amulets of holding - never waste money training in strength, sell any ankh's of strength, don't use any skill points in increasing strength.
5) Save money for DEX, AGI, INT, SPI, and magic training.

My roles would be :

1) Female Priest - solid healer of the party, promote till level 15 and train hard in vine and spirit magic so that all the best spells (particularly level 7's) are picked up - then switch to warlock for fiend and moon magic (and up strength) till level 3 or 4 - paladin (get crusade and sword) no more than that - samuraii (sun magic). Stay samuraii till level 10 or 12 (just focus on level 6 and 7 spells when available) - then ninja. Stay with Ninja (up moon and fiend) for many levels until Valkyrie becomes available (stone).

2) Priest - convert ASAP to barbarian (learn lockpick and pickpocket) for 2-3 levels - convert to ranger and advance (and train) in vine magic till level 6 (pick up Cure), switch to samuraii for 7-9 levels (firestorm), warlock (again quickly 3-4 levels, make spell books available, and up strength) - then Paladin for crusade, and max out in spirit. Advance as best you are able in moon and fiend until zenmaster (stone) comes along.

3) Wizard - this guy stays a wizard for 15-18 levels - trains in staff, sun, and stone - needs all level 7's before moving class - then warlock (again quickly - 2-3 levels and up strength) - ranger till collect level 6 spells - paladin (crusade and level 7 spells and sword) - then assassin - final class - learn dagger and up all magics where possible.

4) Wizard - 2-3 levels then warlock for about 18 levels - 1st priority is moon magic - learn teleport spells - can continue with training to learn all 4 magic levels to level 7. Then paladin, crusade, and till level 7 spells achieved, ranger (very briefly to learn vine), then finish (and age slowly) as ninja.

That is the way I am looking to shape my next party .
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 04:38 AM   #5
carg
The Magister

Davros, nice idea, but how will you get from priest to barbarian without using paladin to join the warrior guild? (Of course you cancel the paladin quest, but then you can't become a paladin later.)
This is a problem when planning your party on paper; I ran into some impossibilities as well with my second party (although I don't use the 'cancel quest' workaround).
Why the heck can't a ranger join the priest guild?

Lily, I'm playing with three chars now, and find it easier then the first time with 6. (Although I'm playing more efficiently now of course.) But the start was hard: on your way to the cemetery don't go south too quickly, because there's a bunch of worgur in a clearing that will be too hard for 3 1st level characters. Then when your levels start coming twice as hard, and you've got firestorm when facing the mantraps and crusade in the castle, you start to fly.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 06:11 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Carg, I think you are missing an essential element. You're right, you cancel the quest, that's how you join the guild. But, that has never prevented any of my characters from signing up for that quest at a later date.
Old 12-21-2000, 05:22 PM   #7
the mick

Davros-
maybe I just missed something, but what are you talking about with the strength and the amulets of holding? It would be nice to have 24 strengths and never spend a gold peice on it...
pondering,
Evermenace
Old 12-21-2000, 11:06 PM   #8
Lily the Ranger

Carg: Three! Wow! I want at least four because I am fascinated with the various clans . . .

Oomphaz (PRIEST) learn spirit, vine, thrown, staff [working mostly on this] > (MONK after cure poison) raise spirit> (PALADIN) for spirit and sword and bless >(SAMURAI when spirit maxed out) love those sun spells and 2nd weapon

Whiskah (THIEF) locks/traps, steal, dagger, thrown > (BARD asap) moon,thief skills to high level > SAMURAI you are my sunshine > ASSASSIN second weapon, moon and fiend (this would be my merchant and ID person.)

Lizzord (MU) stone and sun > (WARLOCK) moon and fiend (enchanter) > (BARD) moon > (NINJA if possible)

Gourk (WARRIOR) sword and bow > (BARBARIAN asap) locks, vine and hps up > (RANGER) more vine > (NINJA)just for kicks, oh, and moon, thieves skills > (SAMURAI) Wielder of the mavin
Old 12-22-2000, 03:35 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Mick.

Just to the west of Ishad, you run into lots of rat dudes - redlegs and blacklegs - anyway, one thing that is dropped in abundance are amulets of holding. Anyone of Warlock class can invoke these amulets in the same way as you invoke an ankh - strength is increased up to the max of 24.
Old 12-22-2000, 05:47 PM   #10
the mick

Okay, just another quick question or two...and thanks, Drukus, for explaining the amulets (wish I had caught that before, I have a million of those things...)
Alot of you talk about using ranged weapons like bows and throwing, and I was wondering if it was worth it to even train in these areas. I have now decided to use four characters, all achieving excellent spells at high levels, and I personally feel that the magic I can use is far superior to any ranged weapon, even with their special powers later on. I mean, wouldn't you rather cast Burning Haze or Lightning or such as opposed to firing a crossbow bolt? Again, maybe I am just missing something, but I think the power lies in magic, and besides, I feel like training to high skill levels in other things like enchanting and blessing is simply more important.
I guess I will mention one other thing...Lily was the only one to mention clans in her post, what does everyone like, for powers and for roleplaying aspects?
thanks in advance for any replies...