Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2003, 02:18 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry I forgot to ask...is this number she gave me (0179111xxxx) a cellphone number in Germany? If so, if she's not in Germany (she's in Barcelona for some castings right now) will I be able to contact her if I call 0011-49-179-111xxxx or do I have to change it to whatever the Spain/Barca country/city codes are? I'm not sure what Europe's roaming protocols are.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:40 AM   #22
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I have not tried calling anyone on their German cellphone while they were abroad, but I cannot imagine that you would need Barcelona's city code (93). I am unsure though if you needed Spain's country code (34) in place of Germany's.

Sorry, but my knowledge on/experience with that topic is very limited: if I were you I would first try to call her using the German country code, in the way explained by Faceman, and if that doesn't work I'd replace the German with the Spanish county code and see what happens then. Simple trial and error. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />Rł aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-31-2003, 08:55 AM   #23
Faceman
Hathor

179 is indeed a cellular prefix and you WILL be able to reach her under her regular number but it will cost you and her ... a lot.
Also European cellphone networks are all nationwide so you never have to put a prefix for city only for country (but only for the country where the provider is stationed)

Short explanation of European roaming:

You get a call on your regular cellphone when you are abroad - the caller pays the fee as if he would call you in your home country. You pay an additional roaming fee.

The call in your case is routed as follows:

Sydney -> Hamburg (You pay and dial as if she was in Hamburg - or elsewhere in Germany)
Hamburg -> Barcelona (the call is routed from Hamburg to Barcelona without additional dialing and she pays the passive fee)
Old 05-31-2003, 10:18 AM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
179 is indeed a cellular prefix and you WILL be able to reach her under her regular number but it will cost you and her ... a lot.
Hmm, I didn't realise that the call receiver pays as well. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] What a load of BS that is!

I might wait till she's back in Hamburg then, I don't want her to end up paying a fortune when she didn't even initiate the call.

Old 05-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #25
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah it is bollocks but that's how it works: if you want service when you are in a foreign country you have to pay to receive calls as well. I wouldn't bother calling anyone who's roaming unless it's urgent. Send her a text instead, it costs the same as normal to send internationally and is free to receive as it would be if she was on her home network.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:55 AM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Yeah it is bollocks but that's how it works: if you want service when you are in a foreign country you have to pay to receive calls as well. I wouldn't bother calling anyone who's roaming unless it's urgent. Send her a text instead, it costs the same as normal to send internationally and is free to receive as it would be if she was on her home network.
I don't know if I can send her a text from Sydney, it will depend on what provider she's on. Can anyone tell me what provider 0179111xxxx would use (eg Vodafone, etc).

Thanks for all this btw, you guys have been a great help. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2003, 11:46 AM   #27
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

You should be able to send texts as normal. Just send it to the number that you dial to reach her (i.e. germany code + mobile number). It should reach her as normal.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #28
Faceman
Hathor

0179 is the prefix of O2 (former VIAG Interkom) a branch of E-plus AFAIK.
But IIRC in Germany it is (since recently) possible to change your provider and keep your number including the prefix so it could be another one too.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:26 PM   #29
Faceman
Hathor

you can send her a message from the web
After some search I've foun one of the few remaining free/no registration online sms-services in Germany (It's so easy in Austria, you can send free messages from any provider's website)

http://www.5vor12.de/cgi-perl/freesms.cgi
I think they limit you to one or two SMS a day

P.S.: Haven't tested it though (can't as I live in Austria). So be careful because lots of the German free-sms-services are scam (this one seems kinda thrustworthy)

[ 05-31-2003, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Faceman ]