Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 12:24 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

[img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar4.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar4.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar4.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar4.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar5.gif[/img]

"The Legend of the Christmas Brick"

Many, many, years ago, in feudal Europe, it was not a good idea for the local citizens and peasantry to have a decorated tree as an icon of the festive season.

The local lord "owned" all the trees. It was forbidden for anyone to cut a tree down, except for the lord's men. The penalty to cut down a tree without permission was usually to be hung from another tree. This tree "ownership" was a good source of income for the lord, forcing people to buy wood for building materials, firewood, etc, thus filling up the coffers.

So, instead of trees, the peasants and citizens turned to other decorations. For the poorest of the poor, this often meant a simple mud brick. It was used as a symbol of hearth and home, and decorated with nuts, fruit, perhaps a bright ribbon or two, and put in a place of honour.

On Christmas Eve, the Christmas Dragon would fly overhead, flying very low and very slow because it was laden down with gold and treasure. Those who had a Christmas brick would rush outside with their brick and hurl it at the passing dragon.

The only way the dragon could escape was to drop some of the loot, so it could gain enough hight and speed to avoid the bricks. The fallen treasure was then gathered, and celebrations would commence.

-----------------------------------------

In honour of this legend, each festive season the Pangur household has a Christmas brick in a place of pride in our family room. It sits on a silver tray, is surrounded by pine cones and dried fruit, and is tied up with a red bow. The same brick has been serving this noble duty for over 12 years.

We have not seen the Christmas Dragon so far, but if he does come on Christmas eve, we are ready !!!
Old 12-11-2001, 04:14 AM   #2
Vampire

Well since, my family has still yet to get a tree maybe a brick isn't too hard
Old 12-11-2001, 09:57 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

We always top our tree with a brick...lol
Old 12-11-2001, 10:37 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Great story, Pangur! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 AM   #5
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Interesting...
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2001, 12:09 PM   #6
Waluin

LOL! Pangur Ban! I recognize your name reference! I've had that poem in my head for *ages* every since I read it way back in High School

I even remember the first few lines off the top of my head.

something like, I know its not exact:

I and pangur ban, my cat
tis a like task we are at
He hunts for mice and I words with pen.
but when he finds his mouse how happy is pangur then!

It was written by a monk I believe in early europe.
\'Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient, others because they are excessive, in feelings or in actions, while virtue finds and chooses the mean.\'<P>Aristotle <BR>\"Nichomachean Ethics\"
Old 12-11-2001, 01:50 PM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

ohhh educational aswell as inane
Old 12-12-2001, 09:52 AM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Pangur, I just wanted you to know that you weren't the only one who keeps this ancient tradition alive. In fact, (rather embarassed to say) I have several Christmas bricks sitting near where my hearth would be if we had a fireplace.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:56 AM   #9
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

Good story Pangur!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:33 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

nice info.. thanks for sharing it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..