Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2003, 12:51 AM   #11
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
I think you want a short sword and weapon finesse unless you have high strength from your fighter. The only difference between a shortbow and a light crossbow is 1d6 dmg for the shortbow and 1d8 for the lcb, roleplaying choice IMO. Also I found it good for my rogue to have another damage type weapon with me, a mace for bludgeoning for example as, as you probably noticed, there are lots of enemies immune to piercing or with high damage reduction against piercing, which could be a problem if you're solo or your henchman is taken out. I haven't played far so I don't know the good rapiers but a short sword might be better if you have finesse and high dex
Actually, a short sword is not considered a light weapon for a halfling, so they should not be able to take weapon finesse with it. Same with the rapier. Remember, a halfling is a small sized creature, so small weapons (which are light weapons for a bigger character) and treated just like medium weapons would be for a larger character (i.e. the weapon has to be one size smaller than the character to be considered a light weapon). The only weapons that they should be able to take weapon finesse with are the dagger and the kama (tiny weapons). The dagger does less damage than the short sword (1d4 versus the 1d6 for the short sword), but has a similar critical range as the short sword (19-20/x2). The kama does the same damage as the short sword (1d6), but the critical range is not as good (20/x2). In addition, the kama is an exotic weapon, so you will have to burn a feat for Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use the kama. If you have a good idea of how you want to spend all of your feats, and really have none to spare (not likely with those bonus fighter feats, but you never know), then go with the dagger. Otherwise, spend the extra slot on the kama, and make up the difference in critical range with Improved Critical later on. However, also need to consider what kind of magical weapons would be available. You are probably more likely to find magical daggers than you are magical kama, so might want to go with daggers anyway. Your choice, but I would recommend a light weapon and the weapon finesse feat (since you get bonus to dexterity and a penalty to strength).

At lower levels, when you only get one attack in a round, a crossbow is better due to the extra damage. However, once you get a second attack in a round, the bow should be superior to the crossbow, unless you are willing to blow a precious feat on Rapid Reload (and that only gives you one extra attack in the round, not your full number of attacks). Personally, I would just take a bow right off the bat; you do not lose much in damage, and you will not have to switch around later when you start getting multiple attacks in a round.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'd go for the kukri.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:13 AM   #13
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
Actually, a short sword is not considered a light weapon for a halfling, so they should not be able to take weapon finesse with it. Same with the rapier. Remember, a halfling is a small sized creature, so small weapons (which are light weapons for a bigger character) and treated just like medium weapons would be for a larger character
Sorry! Though I'm not going to tell my dm that, apparently he has a house rule that short swords are allowed and rapiers not (at full damage as for a medium character )
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #14
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Get online antryg!

Use throwing weapons with your halfling. They get a bonus for thrown weapons. Darts, axes, shurikens.
I do go online, but to qoute Ian Anderson, "I've got nothing to say." at least most times.

Regarding my question. I thought that only a monk could use shuriken or kama unless you use a skill slot. Apendix A (page 171 in the manual) says that short sword is a small weapon, so a halfling should be able to use it one handed. If that is the case, is a (piercing) shortsword better than a (slashing) handaxe? Or is it better to just use a rapier or scimitar as a two-handed weapon?
Which would be the better bludgeoning weapon, a mace, hammer (either light or war), or a club. I realize that the warhammer and club would be a two-handed weapon for my size.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #15
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
Regarding my question. I thought that only a monk could use shuriken or kama unless you use a skill slot.
Yes, you need to take the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency. That means using up a feat to use the kama (or the kukri, as SpiritWarrior suggested). If you have the feats to spare, go ahead. Otherwise, stick with the dagger.

Quote:
Apendix A (page 171 in the manual) says that short sword is a small weapon, so a halfling should be able to use it one handed.
Yes, you can use the short sword one handed. You just can't take the Weapon Finesse feat with it (since it is not one size smaller than you are). Since you get -2 to strength as a halfling (with correspondingly lower attack and damage bonuses), but get a +2 to dexterity (with Weapon Finesse, this gives you a higher attack roll with a light weapon), it is to your advantage to take Weapon Finesse. You don't NEED to, but it doesn't hurt. So, if you want to use a short sword, go right ahead; you just can't take Weapon Finesse with it. In the long run, go with whatever you envision your character using.

Quote:
If that is the case, is a (piercing) shortsword better than a (slashing) handaxe? Or is it better to just use a rapier or scimitar as a two-handed weapon?
The difference between a shortsword and a handaxe is the same difference as the difference between a longsword and a battleaxe. The sword has a critical range of 19-20/x2, while the axe has a critical range of 20/x3. The sword will critical more often, but for less damage, while the axe will critical less often, but when it does it will hit for more damage. Otherwise they have identical damage. Honestly, the difference between piercing and slashing is usually less of an issue than the difference between edged and bludgeoning (creatures like skeletons, etc. are more resistant to edged weapons of all sorts). The difference between slashing and piercing comes into play on occasion, but not as often as you might think. Thus, use whichever one you want, it you are trying to choose between the shortsword and handaxe.

Personally, I would use a one-handed weapon and use a shield. Since it is just you and at most one other henchman, the extra defense will reap dividends.

Quote:
Which would be the better bludgeoning weapon, a mace, hammer (either light or war), or a club. I realize that the warhammer and club would be a two-handed weapon for my size.
The mace is the clear winner. You can use it one handed as a halfling and it does a whopping 1d8 damage (a lot, considering the type of weapons you can use). It only has a critical range of 20/x2, but creatures like skeletons are immune to critical hits anyway.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-31-2003, 01:06 AM   #16
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Great and helpful reply, Nerull. Now I need to know about armor. No armor? Leather armor or heavier? How does a shield affect dexterity?

My I have a lot of questions don't I?
Old 12-31-2003, 03:56 AM   #17
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Exotic Weapons is a great feat opening up many pristine offerings not the least of which is Dwarven Waraxe.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:57 AM   #18
philip
Galvatron

Armours give a max dex. As halfling I'd go for the armor that your dex fits in, so if you have a +6 dex modifier you need a max dex of at least 6. This'll make sure you also have the lowest armor check penalty which affects your dex based skills
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:14 PM   #19
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
Armours give a max dex. As halfling I'd go for the armor that your dex fits in, so if you have a +6 dex modifier you need a max dex of at least 6. This'll make sure you also have the lowest armor check penalty which affects your dex based skills
Exactly. Each type of armor only allows you to add so much of your dexterity bonus to your AC; anything over the maximum dexterity limit is lost. The best way to do this is to figure out your dexterity bonus (found on the character screen), then evaluate all the different types of armor. I usually get a piece of paper, write down all of the types of normal armor listed in the manual along with the armor bonus and maximum dexterity bonus that can be added, then figure out which one will give me the best protection. Whichever type of armor gives you the highest AC bonus (armor bonus + dexterity bonus that can be added) is your winner. Later, as you find armor in the game, you just need to jot that armor down the same way, and compare it with what you have (consider any special properties in the new and old armors as well, so there are qualitative aspects to consider as well).

Oh, I forgot to mention shields. Shields have no maximum dexterity bonus, so you can use the best shield you can buy and use as a small creature.

With both armor and shields, you also need to consider that the rogue skills you will get later may be affected by heavier armor and shields. Armors and shields impose a penalty on hide and move silently checks; the heavier the armor or shield, the bigger the penalty. When you start taking rogue levels, then you really need to take this into consideration if you plan to be sneaking around.

Oh, and I would start as a first level rogue, take your fighter levels, then take the other rogue levels. Most of the rogue's abilities are skill-oriented, and you get 4x the number of skill points at first level.

[ 12-31-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Nerull ]