Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2001, 01:05 PM   #31
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
This reply is an apology to Sir T!

SORRY

I did not mean that last line of my post to sound harsh (yes, cloudy it was a very long day *sigh*)

Just wanted to put this out there that I did not intend to upset or bash anyone or their thoughts/beliefs...so I apoligise!

No apology needed. Everyone has an opinion on things. I was simply stating mine. I sometimes wish I could express my opinion better though. Have a good day! Hopefully it will better than yesterday!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 07-22-2001, 02:07 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Moridin, you rock man. I don't know if I've ever told you but I love your sig. The teach a pig to sing sig. Very funny.

Conan the difference with organ donorship is CHOICE of the individual.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 07-22-2001, 03:09 PM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
This reply is an apology to Sir T!

SORRY

I did not mean that last line of my post to sound harsh (yes, cloudy it was a very long day *sigh*)

Just wanted to put this out there that I did not intend to upset or bash anyone or their thoughts/beliefs...so I apoligise!
Moridin, I kind of thought so. Silly mergers and their effects! I really hope you have a better week this week!

Conan, my answer would be same as Yorick's, in that organ/blood donation is a voluntary thing.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-22-2001, 04:05 PM   #34
Conan

I promise to come back and comment here later. Lets break down what protocall is in place now and where everyone thinks it will go in the future. I hear what you are saying Yorickand Cloudy. None of the comments made by anyone here are ever taken lightly. I value everyones thoughts, convictions, and comments. I value being open minded and feel that without these type of dicussions I would not be bettering myself in some way! Thank you everyone!

------------------
Conan ~*~

Old 07-22-2001, 04:10 PM   #35
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Organ donations and blood donotions are a great thing!!! I gave blood on Wednesday. By my giving blood, I covered my whole family for a year. If enough of us gave blood our whole office was covered(Not sure how that went).
In the State of Tennessee you can mark your drivers license to denote that your organs can be used to help with someone else if you are killed in an accident.
I marked mine. What would i need with them if I were already dead.

Moridin, did I read correctly that you are going through a company merger?
Tough thing those. Hope it turns out OK for you.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 07-22-2001, 04:28 PM   #36
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
[BMoral arguements stand that this is wrong because life itself starts at the fertilization of the egg. And should be given the chance to grow. Seriously thow, if you base your arguement on the Bible there are a few passages that you must know...
1.God knows your name before you are born
2.All things hold together by Christs power
Pre-destined life is real.
This suggests to me that if you were meant to be born you will be. We have a chance to help many many living people here. What is wrong with a voluntary system for helping people? They choose to donate some of their life to help others. Organs are donated all the time like this.

[/B]
Errrrrmmmmm! I'd quite like to see the scriptures that prove those points, Conan, - specially what I presume is 3, that: 'predestined life is real'!! Can you post 'em, please?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 07-22-2001).]
Old 07-22-2001, 05:39 PM   #37
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Organ donations and blood donotions are a great thing!!! I gave blood on Wednesday. By my giving blood, I covered my whole family for a year. If enough of us gave blood our whole office was covered(Not sure how that went).
I must agree wholeheartedly, Sir Taliesin. Due to 27 kind blood plasma donors, of whom I shall never know their names, I am alive today. Bless those people! Because I received so many blood transfusions and plasma while I was being treated for the blood hemolysis disorder last year (TTP, or Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpurea), I am ineligible to donate blood any longer. I, however, am an organ donor, and should something happen to me, I would be proud to know that a part of me lives on and can help someone else.

On the "stem cell" research question: I really don't understand it well enough to be able to comment on it. Clearly, farming embryos for medical research is wrong, whether or not one believes in a soul, for it is a prostitution of the life-force and an offense against Nature. If the embryos are being used from those that would have been discarded anyway, then I see that more as an efficiency of natural resource and not as an affront to Nature. As I said, I will have to know more about this before I can truly offer an opinion one way or another.

As a moderator, I want to commend everyone here for keeping a very controversial subject in the confines of good taste and respect for other's opinions. I always hate threads like these from a moderator's viewpoint, for I have to be ready to step in at any moment someone steps out of line. On the other hand, I love them from a user's point of view since it does afford a great deal of idea-exchange and learning from one another.

Respectfully,

Old 07-22-2001, 07:10 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

If the embryos are being used from those that would have been discarded anyway, then I see that more as an efficiency of natural resource and not as an affront to Nature. As I said, I will have to know more about this before I can truly offer an opinion one way or another.

My concern, aside from my not caring for the whole 'discard' practice much, is that if we allow it, there is so much area for corruption and greed here! If stem cells are only legally available here, how many bogus clinics will start up just for that purpose? I'm guessing that rarity will make them lucrative black market items. Again, I object on principle, but I just see so many areas where this can be exploited and I'm not sanguine about the outcomes.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-22-2001, 11:38 PM   #39
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
My concern, aside from my not caring for the whole 'discard' practice much, is that if we allow it, there is so much area for corruption and greed here! If stem cells are only legally available here, how many bogus clinics will start up just for that purpose? I'm guessing that rarity will make them lucrative black market items. Again, I object on principle, but I just see so many areas where this can be exploited and I'm not sanguine about the outcomes.

Cloudy

Cloudy, neither am I. It's the same objections I have against cloning. There's just too much room for exploitation.

Old 07-23-2001, 12:54 AM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Sazerac, I made mention in the "Yorick?" thread Fljotsdale started about how I owe my life to blood donorship. Lost half my supply before the doctors and nurses reversed the trend. I'm glad it helped you too.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!