Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2001, 04:35 PM   #1
BladeMaster

Anyone who has their own website how did you go about making your site is there a Program you used or did you go to a site that offers your own free website. Any help would be appricated

------------------

Old 05-07-2001, 04:52 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Knowing HTML helps in which case just type away in any text editor, name the file index.html and then upload it to your webspace at any free webspace provider.
Or u can use one of the 50 million web design packages out there, or the site builder tools that virtually all hosts throw at u as soon as u register.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:54 PM   #3
BladeMaster

What is a really good web desgin package

------------------

Old 05-07-2001, 05:29 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Beleive it or not, I've designed a pretty thorough site using just MS-Word and Netscape Composer. Type what you want in Word and then save as an html file. You can tweak it up with Composer. This is a very basic way to make pages, but it is functional.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-07-2001, 05:42 PM   #5
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I use Homestead and you can build a website for free - no html required. I use it for my personal business. It was very easy to use.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-07-2001, 05:45 PM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

If you're looking for something easy to start out with, I would try Homestead - no html required. It's also free. I set up a business website with them and yes, you do have some limitations, but it worked for me.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-07-2001, 05:47 PM   #7
BladeMaster

I would prefer my own seperate site because eventually I want to be as big as Ironworks

------------------

Old 05-07-2001, 07:16 PM   #8
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

You should get Dreamweaver from Macromedia then, it's the best Webpage maker in the universe. And if you want to be as big as Ironworks (how big are they anyway?) You should also get UltraDev which is the same as Dreamweaver but with Database features. Then you should preferably get it hosted at your own server.

------------------

Keldorn's Younger brother
Old 05-07-2001, 07:42 PM   #9
BladeMaster

Thanks Row Firecam that takes care of the software but any other would be appriciated

------------------

Old 05-08-2001, 03:24 AM   #10
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
Thanks Row Firecam that takes care of the software but any other would be appriciated

Hi there blademaster, as a webdesigner I can only tell you this.
First know what you want to do, then find out how to do it. To start taking a chunk of Ultra Dev is (unless you´re good at things like it), you´re going to scream late at night for a long time...

i would suggest that you get the basic HTML tags and try to learn some of them and see what they´re used for. This way you can download demos or try out alot of different webpackages and get what you want.
Personally I like Dreamweaver since it is very good, has a builed in HTML lexicon and is is absolutely awesome.
Problem though is that no browser whatsoever makes you prepaird for OS and Webbrowser compability problems....

Well HotDog is still free I guess and so Is hotmetal (at least a shareware) that is both good programs to start with.
Also start out with a free webpage at your internethost, or some other free webspace.
later on, if you want to be as big as Ironworks, you probably should get connected with people like Ziroc that can help out with well.. most things.. And share a server and buy a adress, this is when it starts to cost money and alot of time..

Also, try to find a nice program for editing pictures for the web. With Macromedia you can buy Fireworks and Dreamweaver for a nice price, and usually most people uses Photoshop and in later editions you get image ready to that. Photoshop is however expansive..

Well, er, thats some info. Ask more ands I´ll try to help out if i can!

Good luck!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES