Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I've never really played Morrowind fully, but for some reason I think I fancy installing it.

I played Daggerfall and mostly just wandered about the towns. Man that was a fun game.

What is the best way to get into the game? I would like to play it fully (seeing as Oblivion is coming out and looks very cool, although that'll require a PC revamp, or persueding my dad to get a new one so I can get his ), but I've never really got into it. It took ages to get into action.

Any hints/tips/advice would be welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivelliis:
What is the best way to get into the game? I would like to play it fully (seeing as Oblivion is coming out and looks very cool, although that'll require a PC revamp, or persueding my dad to get a new one so I can get his ), but I've never really got into it. It took ages to get into action.
Ivelliis,

There are others more qualified to answer; but, having been sort of in your position just a month ago, I feel compelled to give my 2 cents worth.

Your question implies that you played Morrowind a bit, but lost interest. To get into the game quickly:

1.) Read the "Newbie help" thread that is about 120 posts long, wherein I (the newbie) got lots of help from the fine folks here.

2.) Decide which way(s) you want to lean --> Stealth, Brute force and/or Magic. And roll your character accordingly at the start of the game.

3.) I prefer the safe in town quests to start; but if you want target practice, go over the north walkway, just outside of Seyda Neen. Turn to the left to practice on mudcrabs (near the water) and a few other critters just north of the water. If you turn right, instead of left; there is a cave of bandits just past the Siltstrider service. And be prepared for the occasional rat. In either case, be prepared to run back to town if you get into trouble. (The critters will follow you, but the town guards dispatch them quickly.)

4.) If you want to advance the storyline quickly, say good bye to Seyda Neen (for now), take the Siltstrider service to Balmora (although walking is fun and not too dangerous), find Casius Cosades (I *know* I spelled that wrong) and tell him you will work with him.

5.) If you want to get into doing quests with adventure in them, join a guild or two (or three, but don't join any of the Houses, yet). After doing a "job" or two for a guild (or guilds), return to Cosades and start accepting jobs from him.

6.) Find the Transport Mage at the Balmora Mages guild, and travel to Vivec. Explore all levels of at least one Canton (You'll know what that means when you get there).

7.) By now (10 to 20 hours into the game, if you did steps 1 through 6 and did not take any of the many inviting side trips that will beckon) you should be totally immersed and know plenty of places to get into trouble if that is your desire. Read some books and talk to EVERYONE. This game is about getting immersed in a different world. It is not about getting through the main quest as quickly as possible. I have been told that the game usually takes 100 hours if one simply pursues the main quest line; but that it is closer to 500 hours if one does all the side quests. I am sure my adventure will be much closer to the latter number, since I am pushing 100 hours and have barely scratched the main quest line. The game is designed to allow you to slowly learn enough about the world you are in to then be capable and motivated enough to, sooner or later, press the main storyline. This game is not about seeing how many monsters you can pound into jelly. It is about discovery: Discovery of new (and very interesting) skills, new information, new places, new people to befriend (or use, or help, or steal from, or kill, as your roleplay inclinations and those of the NPCs dictate), new themes, new loot, new tactics, unraveling intertwined threads of intrigue, and yes: plenty of new monsters (to kill).

8.) Something that helped me **A LOT** was to save to a new game name often (like every 10 minutes or so). My character's name is Tarnaq. So I save to Tarnaq_10A as soon as I level. Then save to Tarnaq_10 a few minutes later. Then save to Tarnaq_11 a few minutes after that. Then alternate between saving to Tarnaq_10 and Tarnaq_11 every 10 minutes or so as I travel about. After I level again, I save to new game names Tarnaq_11A, and Tarnaq_12; and then alternate saving to Tarnaq_11 and Tarnaq_12 for the new level, etc. It saves a lot of heartache, especially if your machine crashes every once and a while, corrupting what should have been your last good save.

Hope this helped.

[ 12-12-2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Well, can't (or don't feel like) giving as detailed a response, but here's what I have to say. f5 (or f6, can't remember) WILL be your best friend, guaranteed. Also, as a simple word of advice, don't pick a beast race (Kajhitt, Argonian) because they can't wear boots and, so as not to spoil, let's just say there are some particularly handy boots in the game you wil want to utilize . In the long run, Beast races may start out better in whatever skills you're looking for, but if you compare a completely (or near completely) levelled Beast to a completely levelled Humanoid, the Humanoid will be the exact same thing but with more armour options.

The main quest doesn't really take 100 hours to complete, you can do it in a day if you don't get too sidetracked, although a couple missions might stump you for an hour or two (or three or four).

The number one rule I learned after having to restart several characers to learn it is: DO NOT KILL indiscriminately. Trust me, avoid killing people as much as possible, even if they look unimportant, you never know if they will be required for a quest later. Hell, even if they are cave dwellers who attacked you first, try to avoid retaliation, I have messed up several quests in self defense. If you need to train, do it on a daedra (this especially works out if you only want to kill bandits for money, since daedra will eventually have very nice/expensive weapons). The people in Addamasartus (the cave near Seyda Neen which you wil be hinted toward) is safe to clear out though, those people don't matter for a quest.

Hope these litle hints help you out. I can also give you some very useful startin hints that will get you some nice wepaons/armour and money early on but those might be spoilerific, so if you want to hear them, just PM me.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Also, if you use heavy armor, get high strength.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I thought it was Endurance... You need both
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

100 hours for the MQ? Actually, it's possible to do it, without cheating, in under two minutes!...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

so true...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I demand a video!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Madman
The Magister

2 minutes?!?! i must be missing something :S

[ 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Madman ]
Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hi Ivellis,

Getting back on topic, NobleNick I think has given some neatly wise words on the subject of just starting out in a fresh new game. I've also only played it the once myself (with both expansions) which took me just over a month or so back in March this year, and have only reinstalled again recently to try another class and some different factions. (A Dunmer Assassin)

I reccomend answering the questions (a la Ultima style) to determine your character first as honestly as possible in order to roleplay a class which seemingly would suit your philosophical 'outlook'. This is what I did - and so I played a Khajiit Monk all the way through the game. Nothing at all wrong with any choice, there are always roleplaying reasons for choosing something over something else. In fact, the more interesting little mannerisms you throw into your character, ultimately the more fun you'll have. Basically the more you expand away from the simple 'kill, loot and leave' mentality, the more enjoyment you should have. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Nobelnick hit it on the head when he said that the joy is more in the immersion found in exploration and open-endedness of it all. Don't feel you need to force the game forward too much, allow the world to suck you in a little.

Deciding which factions you will join early on and planning your visits to them should keep you occupied in the early stages, as will the continual desire to improve yourself and your arsenal of weaponry/armour. Concentrating on practicing your major skills where possible should see just enough growth.

Whey! That'll do. Better get to work.
Have fun!
CD

[ 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote