Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2001, 11:46 PM   #1
slug
Manshoon

let us speak of society and it's nature. let us speak of humanity and our nature. are there clues to our morality in our RPG behavior? simply, is enjoying the heck out of killing a peaceful NPC a sign of some latent homicidal underpinnings? what if they are killed simply for exp, without the relish; would that indicate a cold brutality? is a gamer who leaves no trace of their passage a weakling to be scraped off our shoe-soles? likely, no, no, no. but that doesn't mean there are no clues to our morality. the better question is, is there a key which can unfailingly determine what our RPG behavior says about us?

for example: i dusted 2 toads in a puddle (with meaty-or, worked nice) just for being in my way. and for the good of all toads. after checking for witnesses i never looked back. no remorse. i also waxed t'thark for being an idiot, after poking him a few times to make him talk. i could feel bad about it, but i'm not the game designer. as for giving him the picks, i never got them cus i didn't want to see gorthius die. what does that say?
i thought i was slick when i nic'd Freyd's key and pilfered the treasury. but after the mines had me good and pissed, i offed him too. in fact, i poped the gaurds one at a time first, while he watched. then, once he was alone i turned and shouted mockingly of his feebleness. i humiliated him as retribution for my frustration in the mines. played with the hammer til i decided it was too much bother then sold it. what does that say?

i wonder what different answers will come from different cultures. i am currently in Denver Colorado, USA. if you want to reply, please say where you are from.

a.k.a. greyjr
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 12:29 AM   #2
Moni

I let Gorthius die to keep from having to torture H'thark any further even though I like him (Gorthius).

I offed a toad with no remorse for nothing more than being in my way and I agree, it was for the good of all toads. The rest, however, got to live.

I killed a few Boogre grunts for the experience and felt kinda bad, them being so stupid & all and then let the rest of them live.

I killed Harespia and felt awful that she did not fight back, however I did not restore my game to play that line right and let the deed be done.

I only let the dwarves live because I was afraid of their miner's bombs.

What DOES that say?

I am a good person in real life and I won't start a fight but you can be sure I'll finish one started with me and I'll show no mercy!

When given the proper opportunity to be good or evil in an RPG, I pick the funner role LOL!

I like being able to be neutral so that I can go either way in a good RPG...you never know what kind of mood you might be in while playing a game and having the ability to knock off an obnoxious NPC on a "bad day" is a plus.

Then again,I would not kill my neighbor's dog even though I hate it but I doubt I would feel sorry for him if he ever gets run over. Well, maybe a little.
; )
Moni

Texas, USA (not that I am a Texan...I have only been here for a little less than 2 years. I have been an American all my life though)
; )
Old 02-22-2001, 02:27 AM   #3
slug
Manshoon

oh yeah, i forgot about herespia. i never even noticed she didn't fight back cus i went into the building ready for war. i unloaded my best stuff and she was gone. i got the quest item and was happy until i read (here) that there is a bit more to her then meets the eye. oh well, i did the same in mines with that cowardly hiding dude. once we met, i was gone, never did ore get mined by me.

perhaps shows i am gullible. one rumor and i'm bringing the house. also shows impatience maybe. not so impatient that i can't rest the game for a while when it starts to crust.

if i got the chance again i would murder that stupid sphinx for impersonating an entrance obstacle. i smartly answered then turned and smartly hit the glass. #%$*!@)(^
Old 02-22-2001, 02:43 AM   #4
meow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was a bit shocked at my behavior concerning the Toads. I was very frustrated and killed all but two.

I just don't know myself anymore.
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 05:18 AM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Here's some questions:

Will you swear to use the power only to protect, and not to vanquish?
Will you swear to use the power only to help, not to destroy?
Will you swear to use the power only to preserve, and not to profit?
And will you pledge your immortal soul to this sacred oath and upon its sanctity give up this life and all others?

What a joke, huh. The game makes you take a pledge and then it lets you go postal with no reprecussions!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
Moni

Mark,
I actually walked around carrying the Mavin Sword for the longest time thinking if I did equip it and then use it to kill for fun and profit that there would be repercussions.

There should have been.

But the longer I played the game and the more I learned about what was left out and what was included on the disks that wasn't actually in the game, the more I believe it was released too soon, not for being a finished product, but for timing in the market...competition with other CRPG's being released around the same time.

Someone should have realized that there is no competition when it comes to the "Wizardry" type interface and the type of game W&W could have presented itself to be.

Done properly, I don't think W&W would have sold any less copies had it been released later. It might have even sold more.

: )
Moni

P.S. Slug,
Even though I was initially too scared of the moners bombs, it did not stop me later on from pickpocketing the King and stealing everything I had left untouched on my first visit to the mines. I ended up with 4 suits of Dragon Plate LOL...like I needed that many...hahahahaha
Old 02-22-2001, 04:02 PM   #7
DrDave
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Let's see now...

I cold bloodedly killed a wee Stout who was only stealing what I went on to steal myself. I am also contemplating going back to off a King who kindly presented me with armour gratis.

On the other hand I refused to fight a female vampire, preferring to reload two saves and undertake several pickpocketing attempts. I gather from other posters that she was pretty easy to kill and would have given me some quite good experience.

What does that say....that I'm an English gentleman or a sexist fool?

PS Yes, I used the tusk - I'm not THAT English.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 08:20 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROFLMAO DrDave!

With the exception of Raskallion, Scanthril, and Scabban, I have pretty well left the NPC's in the game intact, even Erathsmedor and Oakenmir, whom from what I understand give XP beyond your wildest dreams for killing them. I felt pretty bad about Raskallion, even though I did it for the Assassin quest. I'm thinking about just using Ninjas next time through and letting the little guy live and just killing the rat outright. I have no compunction about offing Scanthril (sorry, Silence!) and Scabban is in league with Cet, so he's toast as well in my book. G'Ezerred Ra, on the other hand, is so clearly repentent of his evils, that it's very easy to take compassion on him. Even the first time through, I burned his heart in the fire even though I didn't have a female character and couldn't be rewarded with Valkyrie status. I just couldn't let the poor guy suffer for eternity.

Why do I do this, not killing the NPC's that would give me so much experience? I ask myself as well. I think because if I did it, I would no longer find the game enjoyable. I'm a creature of habit, and I've always tended to play neutral to "good" characters, if you'll forgive a blatant D&Dism. However, if I did play evil characters, I wouldn't think that would be a reflection on me as a person in real life; more likely just a curiousity (I wonder what would happen if I did this...?) One musn't take these games too seriously, after all.

So in answer to your original question, Slug; no, I don't think "good" or "evil" actions in a game tells us much about our inner selves. If it makes us consider why we thought about doing something, then it's good because it provokes introspection and analysis of our own behaviors and thoughts.

However, a far greater determinant, IMO, to one's inner self would be what one's favorite characters are. Do you enjoy playing Warriors more, or Priests, or Wizards, or Rogues? What do those choices say about you? I would suggest that Warrior-people tend to be more tried and true, adhering to the code of honor; Wizards would be more intellectual and making their own way as they go; Priests are more nurturers and helpers, seeking to inspire others to greatness, and Rogues are the wildcards; the unpredictable element; that which finds a way when no way seems to exist. I for one love playing rogues or rogue sub-classes, and yet in the real world I'm a teacher; a model of conventionality. Does this say something about my inner self? Do I have a rogue within? I wonder...and I don't doubt that I do.

Good, thought-provoking thread, guys.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 07:40 PM   #9
slug
Manshoon

bumping this up
Old 03-09-2001, 07:51 PM   #10
Dying Sun
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's an interesting thought; I invariably swing toward the mage-preference; "If it ain't magic, it's tragic" as my oomphaz warlock might be inclined to intone I tend not to sully my hands with blood with close-proximity blood if I can help it, dispatching neer-do-wells from afar, hearing their howls of agony from a sizable distance, their howls of anguish as quarts of blood jettison from their ruptured body cavities after a well-placed magma bomb incinerates their broken forms..

In short, I'm all about magic, and range. A sniper appeals much more to me than a chainsaw.. hence my proclivities in Unreal Tournamnent for being the point-shot in team games.

Nevertheless, I tend toward the "good" (in all of its questionable morality as evinced in W&W) in general; I like to be the "hero".. I don't like killing dogs, raping livestock, or torturing children, even in games. Still, I wouldn't mind feeling the visceral thrill of putting a slug through that blowhard Sebastio's head...

------------------
Who's going to wear my sandals stained with cherry soda? We will, We will!----
Dying Sun is offline   Reply With Quote