Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sad Thought-provoking....

Nothing funny or humorous in this... quite the opposite, in fact. A friend of mine came across this site, and here's his explanation:

Quote:
This isn't exactly fun, but I found it to be one of the most profoundly moving examples of people helping people through this most unthinkable of tragedies. Only read this you have a full box of kleenex handy.

"Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" is a group of volunteer photographers who memorialize through photography unborn and newborn children who have developed fatal conditions. These pictures are then professionally edited and presented to the parents as a way to honor their child, and help the parents heal after their child's passing.

One of the co-founder's stories, and how the organization began:
http://www.nowisleep.com/showthread....ghlight=maddux

A description of what the organization does:
http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.com/...lay.php?page=3

The main web page:
http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.com/
He's not kidding about the kleenex... the co-founder's story is quite moving. Be sure to read all three posts in that thread.

Friends of ours lost their daughter at 6 months. Their pictures and memories are the only things they have left. It's touching in many ways.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Default Re: Thought-provoking....

How beautiful and sad at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

..can't do that much reading at 6am. I'll look at it a little later..
Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarrotdude View Post
A waste of film.
Hmmm, some people present themselves as a waste of genetic material and human resources... oh wait, that was rude wasn't it? Truly, I don't feel that way in earnest about anyone, but there are some that bring that thought up on occasion.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

I feel the make-a-wish foundation is a waste of money too. People should instead donate money to institutions that cure the diseases/conditions the children are afflicted with.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I don't know carrotdude's personal experiences, but from my perspective the only one who could feel that way either has never had to deal with emotional pain on a serious level, or is sociopathic.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I don't personally agree with Carrotdude's view, but he is entitled to his own opinion. We should be careful not to start insulting other people and getting into a flame war here guys.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I agree with DS. While I disagree with carrotdude's point of view, he is entitled to have one. And he raises a valid point as well... there's a lot to be said for investment in research to find cures. It's just not that black-and-white. For some things, cures will be a long time coming, if ever. And people will die from those diseases before those cures come.

As a twice-over dad, I can tell you that the months before a baby arrives can be filled joy, excitement, and anticipation. You're nervous about whether you're really pregnant, then wondering if you're going to be one of those statistics, those people who lose a baby after the first couple of months. Somewhere around the third or fourth month, you finally start sharing the news with a couple of people... parents, close friends, and the like.

Excitement builds as the due date approaches. Getting the baby's room ready, baby showers, picking names... it's all anticipation.

Then the baby arrives, and there are hushed tones in the delivery room. You don't know why... you haven't seen more than a handful of births, or perhaps this is your first one. But the doctors and nurses, who have seen thousands... they know when something's not right. Often they can fix it, so they scurry around. Sometimes, though, they can't.

And there you are... at the end of a nine-month or longer journey towards a celebration of life. Only now, it's a celebration of death. And worse... almost every phone call you get for the next week, until the news gets out, will ask how the baby is... and you get to say "Dead.". Or some other phrase that you come up with. Talk about thread-killers...

So where does something like Make-A-Wish or NILMDTS come in? For MAW, it's in the acknowledgment that a cure will not come soon enough, and in trying to help that child reach at least one of their dreams. No, it's not enough. But for that child, who may be going through chemo and other body-wracking treatments for days and weeks on end, it's one afternoon of joy at being alive. One day of happiness. For their families, it's the opportunity for their child to have that day, knowing that they will have a lifetime of days without him or her.

For NILMDTS, it's about having the entire family together... once. Friends of ours lost their daughter to Long Q-T disease at six months. The girl's mother spend the last two months of her pregnancy on bed rest in a Chicago hospital because the doctors knew the disease was there, and she was high-risk. The girl was born and everything seemed to be going fine... until one day, six months later. Like that, they were burying their daughter. More rounds of thread-killer phone calls.

They honor her birthday every year. I say "honor" because "celebrate" isn't the right word. We buy her a present every Christmas and give it away to Toys for Tots.

Would our friends rather have a cure, or their daughter back? I know the answer is both, but in their hearts, I'm sure they'd rather have a few more months or years with their daughter. A cure is impersonal... their daughter was real and loved.

I don't believe NILMDTS was involved, but I know that they have some composites that were done around the time of her death. They cherish the few pictures they have of their daughter. 20 years from now, that will be all that they have.

Is the money spent by MAW or NILMDTS wasted? I don't think so. I think it fixes things in a different direction. Funerals are never for the dead... they're for the living. I think it's the same with NILMDTS and MAW. And until cures are developed, they will still serve a useful purpose.

Whew! I didn't know this was going to be this long. But having looked at it again, it's still worth saying.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I too agree with DS. Just because someone's opinion differs doesn't mean he is "sociopathic". Some have bad experiences with these foundations, others simply don't like them. Let's not make IW and unwelcome place for opinions that differ. I for one don't like charities as they are and have been subject to alot of corruption. I'd prefer to give it to the people personally than trust a company to dole it out to them. This way, I can make sure they are getting every penny I want them to get.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think age says a lot. ..not knocking you CD, but you are 14. In time, you will see things differently.

I think these foundations like Make a Wish, are a good idea.

Too much money goes to these groups/people/bloodsuckers that are supposed to be coming up with cures. I think cures for many many illnesses are already out there, even the means to prevent them from ever happening. But then what? Entire economies would collapse. I may be wrong, but I think the answers are already out there.
I think the crap we're given to eat is killing us. The water we drink is killing us. We have made huge advances and more people are sick and dying than ever. Yes, course, there are more people as well. And yes, we certainly are living longer. Some people live long lives healthily, other have a small drug store in their homes to keep them alive.

We give to a lot of different organizations. We also sponsor children in other countries. I guess it's a matter of selecting what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 07-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote