Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2001, 04:14 AM   #1
Gandalf
Welcomed New User

Can anybody help with the Twisted rune quest.It doesn't matter what spells of protection I cast on my players I always seem to lose at least 2 of them,usually Imoen and Jahiera.I have all of the +4 weapons,etc but still can't kill them before they get either me or my characters.
Old 02-02-2001, 04:43 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You might be biting off more than you can chew. That was one of the toughest battles in the game for me. I'll give you two tips to think about: 1) let them come to you, use the fog of war to your advantage and use summoned creatures as cannon fodder to use up their spells. Try taking on one opponent at a time. 2) You won't have to worry about the female mage at the immediate start of the battle as she summons a pit fiend that turns on her, so focus your attacks on the lich instead of her.
Old 02-04-2001, 08:08 PM   #3
Aramil_Amkur

I disagree with Memnoch when he says that it is one of the toughest battles in the game since only one of my men got hidden and the number of dammage i got was an astonishing(spelling) 2 points of dammage (no i played on normal level and did not cheat. okay i hat removed the xpcap), for me the hardest fight was that Karnak-lich dude, since it took me a while to get a good tactic. It aint no answer but just kick the ass on the lich first then kill the vampire with the mace of disruption and the rest comes easy.

Old 02-04-2001, 10:25 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Sorry to disagree with you, Aramil_Amkur, but agree with anyone who thinks that the Twisted Rune encounter is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) battles in the game.

There is really no cute way to deal with the T.R. Unlike the Demi-Lich for whom there is a single very straight-forward, minorly cute, method to easily defeat Kangaxx, the Twisted Rune cannot be defeated with a single tactic, since the T.R. is composed of 5 or 6 different, very tough villains.

Actually, I have a clear strategy for taking on the TR. It's similar to others I've seen.

Possible SPOILERs below

It goes like this...

First, I assume that you have retrieved and possess the Daystar longsword and the Cloak of Mirrors. Further, I'm assuming that your party is rather near the end of the game. Furthermore, have your mage stocked up on Melf's Minute metoerites, since they are great for smacking around liches.

Second, before proceeding into the main room, cast all of your protective magics on your party.

Three, summon your toughest monsters, but still keep them inside the small entry alcove.

Four, have all of your party up close against the north side of the alcove.

Five, have your toughest Daystar-wielding, cloak of mirrors protected, character enter the main chamber along with another character who has a potion of explosions or oil of fiery burning. Upon entering the main room, the T.R. enemies will pop in. When they do, throw the potion of explosions at the mage and fire off the Daystar sunray!!! Then run back into the alcove.

At this point the lich will pop into the alcove. NUKE him!!! The only one of your characters that should even consider engaging someone other than the lich is your cloak-of-mirrors protected fighter who should Finish off the vampire (if the sunray didn't) or the beholder.

Once the lich, the vamp, and the beholder are dead, it's cleanup time.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:55 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Right Aramil - easy if you have the Mace of Disruption. I took on these guys when I was level 10-11 and beat them - after a lot of reloads. Didn't have any Mace of Disruption, Cloak of Cheating, or any super powerful weapons either. Anything's easy if you have the right equipment.