Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 09:44 PM   #51
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, since the switches were not given in any order(ie. left to right 1-4, top to bottom 1-4, one on north wall one on south wall etc.) There is no way I can tell you a switch and be correct. For this reason I must assume that the switches are irrelevent, which means everything must occur in the room that the lamp is occupying, just tell me if i'm getting warm.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:48 PM   #52
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Now we're starting to get somewhere [img]smile.gif[/img]
Stop thinking switches and start thinking lamps [img]smile.gif[/img]

Damn it! I'm getting my own back...

There's a man who's been magically sealed in a stone tower by an evil wizard. There are no doors, no windows, NO exits. All there is, is a wooden chair. The man has no magical powers himself and there is noone else in the room, nor can he contact the wizard.

Yet he escapes...How?

P.S. - it's a lateral answer (a bit silly)
Old 11-30-2001, 09:54 PM   #53
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

got to go...back in a while [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 09:55 PM   #54
Legolas
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Dresdan:
Ok, since the switches were not given in any order(ie. left to right 1-4, top to bottom 1-4, one on north wall one on south wall etc.) There is no way I can tell you a switch and be correct. For this reason I must assume that the switches are irrelevent, which means everything must occur in the room that the lamp is occupying, just tell me if i'm getting warm.

Warmer than you think.

It's not so much which switch is right, it's about how you determine which switch is right. But do name them 1, 2, 3 and 4 if that suits you.

Leonis: Well, one known 'escape' is death, possibly by suicide. The man could, say, smash the chair against the wall and pick up a leg/stake, then run into the wall stake first. Oh, family foum. I'll be sued for giving children bad ideas in no time now
Old 11-30-2001, 09:58 PM   #55
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Ov...er. loa....d I'm l.....os....ing my mind.

Leonis, the only way that I can see for him to get out is death.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:59 PM   #56
Legolas
Jack Burton

Okay, I'm leaving for a bit of rest now too (4 a.m. here. Bad habit! Bad. Bad, yes, but I like it too )

Good night everyone!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:02 PM   #57
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Good night Legolas, I shall ponder upon this riddle. Hopefully when you arise, I will have posted the correct answer, if not DOH. Sleep well.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:19 PM   #58
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:

Damn it! I'm getting my own back...

There's a man who's been magically sealed in a stone tower by an evil wizard. There are no doors, no windows, NO exits. All there is, is a wooden chair. The man has no magical powers himself and there is noone else in the room, nor can he contact the wizard.

Yet he escapes...How?

he wakes up?
P.S. - it's a lateral answer (a bit silly)

Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 12-01-2001, 12:11 AM   #59
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OK, Leonis. I've read several books on lateral thinking..and I know how silly some of the answers can be.

So, my answer is - the tower is relatively short and open at the top (which wouldn't count as an exit). So,he climbs onto the chair and uses the extra height to either climb or jump out. (you never said the evil wizard was overly smart).

AFA Legolas and SixofSpades are concerned, I figured out the "byproduct of light" approach early on (from a problem in one of the lateral thinking books I have), but you still have me stumped about him entering the room.

At first, SixofSpades says that the spy has to answer as SOON as he enters the room with the lights...then he said the spy DOESN'T have to give the answer the moment he enters. If he can enter the other room as long as the lights are OFF, then I know the answer...otherwise I'll just have to widen this bald spot I'm scratching on my head.

Legolas, yours actually seems harder to me. Still working on it.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:17 AM   #60
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For Dresden and all the others, here's the EASY version of this problem (taken from the book I mentioned).

You are in a room with 3 switches. Each switch controls 1 light in the room across the hall. You can enter the room with the lights 1 time before returning to give your answer.

How do you tell which switch controls which light?