Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #31
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
originally posted by Kakero:

Diablo series is FPS? hah! then Icewind dale series is FPS too. both are almost the same. but IWD got it's own forum.
GOOD One Kakero! We...D2 fans sure rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:

But how much can you really say about diablo you could tell someone how to beat the whole game in one post. what else would you ask about dueling trading. I play alot of D2 but i don't think theres enough game to have a whole forum for it. Theres not much to tell really.
and

Quote:
originally posted by Xen:

Q:Hey i am wondering. Do you have any tips how to beat the game?
A:Yes,just kill everything that moves.
Uhh that sounds complicated.
No it`s not.
Just click on your enemies.
OK,thanks.
WUT???that can be also argumented with BG2 and its series.and all of the games in this world!BG2 is sure more complicated in some way than D2 (D2 is also more complicated than BG2 in the some other way), but that doesn't mean that u just can kill monsters just by clicking on it.there are tactics, mods,spells, patches, bugs, spoilers and other things like other forums in IW that could be discussed.and one thing that bg2 doesn't have is making different types of characters by chosing certain spell in one character (like making a bowazon, or javazon, or fire sorceress, or ice sorceress, or lightning sorceress, or barsword, or baraxe and many type of combination), not like in bg2 where u get all of ones characters ability and spells in one play. c'mon, u cant omit the fact that D2 receives bunch and bunch of awards:

Computer Game of the Year - Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
Game of the Year - Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
Game of the Year - PC Dome Magazine
Best PC Game of the Year -- 2000 European Computer Trade Show Awards
Roleplaying Game of the Year - Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
Roleplaying Game of the Year - PC Dome Magazine
Excellence in Audio (Matt Uelmen, Jason Hayes, Glenn Stafford & Andrea Pessino) - Game Developers Choice Awards
Editors' Choice Award - Computer Gaming World
Editor's Choice/Game of the Month - PC Gamer
Editor's Choice Awards - GamePro
Best Network Game of the Year Award -- Play Online Magazine
2000 Game Hall of Fame - MacWorld
Roper/Starch Worldwide Best of Issue (September 2000) - Computer Gaming World
Golden Fire Hydrants Award - RPG - Happy Puppy
Top 20 Video Games of 2000 - Newsweek
94 percent rating - PC Gamer
4.5 out of 5 rating - Computer Gaming World
5 out of 5 rating - Incite
5 out of 5 rating - Maxim Online
Direct Hit - Daily Radar
4 out of 5 rating - Computer Games Magazine
3 ˝ out of 4 rating - USA Today
4 out of 4 - Dallas Morning News

HAHAHAHA...!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

Diablo 1 & 2 aren't really RPG's. Both games are basically hack and slash affairs with few RPG elements. Perhaps that's why a Diabo Forum isn't present on IW. (IW = RPG Forums)
BAH!!!then face the fact that D2 receives the awards of:

---------------------
Old 08-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #32
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

wow, BaRoN NiGhT . where did you get all the list?
Old 08-02-2003, 12:50 AM   #33
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:

Diablo 1 & 2 aren't really RPG's. Both games are basically hack and slash affairs with few RPG elements. Perhaps that's why a Diabo Forum isn't present on IW. (IW = RPG Forums)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say the Diablo games were bad, I just stated (IMO!) that they don't quite fit the category of an RPG. Take BG: Dark Alliance on PS2/XBOX as an example.
Categorised as an action game, it is very similar to D2 in terms of gameplay, focusing on action rather than an interactive story, which is BG2/NWN. You also have to consider what RPG actually means:

(Taken from http://www.rpgfan.com)

"I think the definition of RPGs can differ from person to person. I also believe that there isn't a set standard, for a few reasons. I think that the so-called RPGs are just as much RPGs as your "true RPG". RPG stands for Role Playing Game, much to everybody's knowledge. It does not stand for "Menu driven combat games", which the previous argument seems to stress. There are many branches of the term RPG. I am not just talking about the widely known: Strategy, Action, and Adventure. There are others that are undefined, and are they any less RPG? No.
Baldur's Gate is the first game that comes to my mind. It has no menu driven combat, but does have individual statistics for characters, and you can "level up" your characters. Another is Might and Magic VI, which once again meets the statistics categories but doesn't have menu driven combat. If you want to disagree with me on these, I'll be very surprised. You might be seeing a pattern emerging, which is PC, so let me get into the console examples. First of all, let me state that while I do not think there are set standards to make a game an RPG, I do believe that there are characteristics. Some of these are: fairly lengthy (20+hours), involved story, exploration, combat, and a constant enemy. Once again, these are characteristics, not set rules, so don't think that I don't realize there are exceptions to the rule, for that is my main argument.
Strategy games are mainly RPGs. Why, you ask? Because they are long involved games which you fight a constant enemy, explore the land, and are usually very long. Examples are: the Shining Force series, The Ogre battle series, and even though I didn't like it, Final Fantasy Tactics.
I believe also that Action and Adventure games fit the same category in this discussion and can most definitely fit the category of RPG. As long as it fits the above criteria. Examples I can pull from this are: Alundra, Landstalker, Dark Savior, and Magic Knight RayEarth. You might notice that I left Zelda off my list, this is the one place where I agree with the other argument. Mainly because the story was "SAVE ZELDA!" in every one. I do like these games, but really feel they don't fit the category.
In conclusion to my opinion, I think there are divisions to the term RPG. These are: True-RPG, Action/Adventure RPG, Strategy RPG, and just RPG. Keep in mind when reading this that my favorite division is the True breed."

[ 08-02-2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 08-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #34
Kaltia
Jack Burton

You do know that awards are meaningless, really? The game might get an award for best engine, or prettiest graphics, but it could still be crap.

The tactics rubbish? Only if you're devoted. I played Diablo II for a while. Dropped over dead of boredom in act four.

Really, what does it matter? Play a barbarian. Click and kill. Play a sorceress. Click and kill, only with the right hand button instead of the left. The only thing that saved Diablo II from being forgotten in two months was that battle.net is easy to use. And that only preserved my interest for four months.

I happen to like a non click-and-kill game. I like Baldur's Gate II because of the sub quests. Diablo has one storyline; click and kill, get a hammer or scroll or cube or stick or whatever by killing everything that stands between it, and that quest is done. You don't have to answer riddles to get a good item. You-guess what? Click and kill to get an item!

In Baldur's Gate, you can play it as click and kill. But you have an alternative, which you don't in Diablo II.

And the tactics rubbish is only if you want to kill cows for hours at a time or fight other players, neither of which fascinate me in the slightest.

[ 08-02-2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:09 AM   #35
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by BaRoN NiGhT:

Quote:

I didn't say the Diablo games were bad, I just stated (IMO!) that they don't quite fit the category of an RPG.
[/QUOTE]and i didn't say either that you said diablo games are bad . i was putting a pressure there on the awards of Roleplaying Game (RPG) game of the year, which means that the public and official magazines and other high class resources acknowledges and confess' surely that diablo games are RPGs [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

edit:i got the information from blizzards official site, kakero. here

--------------------------

[ 08-02-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: BaRoN NiGhT ]
Old 08-03-2003, 04:54 AM   #36
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
and i didn't say either that you said diablo games are bad . i was putting a pressure there on the awards of Roleplaying Game (RPG) game of the year, which means that the public and official magazines and other high class resources acknowledges and confess' surely that diablo games are RPGs .
Fair enough [img]smile.gif[/img] I've posted a poll in the User Poll Forum which asks the question we are debating about. Check it out