Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2001, 12:12 AM   #1
Kalgrog

Can anyone help me out with creating an item? I was trying to make Wulfgar from the Dark-elf Trilogy, which isn't too hard, but making his magical warhammer is. I found an item on a page where someone tried to make one but they only made it a +1 or +2 weapon. I think from reading the books, the Aegis warhammer would be at least +3 or +4. So I can modify the weapon some but I think it is inherently flawed. The hard part is making it dual use as a thrown weapon, much like the axes that return to your hand instantly. But, there are no warhammers in the game which do this to use as a template.

Can anyone make this warhammer for me or give me some tips? The hammer works as far as melee but if you try and use it as ranged it crashes the computer.

Old 02-07-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

There are several axes in the game that function as thrown or melee. If you have a biff stripper program, you should be able to extract one of the axe files and use the information to make the hammer you want -- then save to a different file.

I would gladly try this, but on my last attempt, I couldn't get the biff stripper program to work. I'll try again later this week. Post again on Monday if you haven't figured it out by then.
Old 02-07-2001, 02:33 PM   #3
Kalgrog

That is an idea I had but forgot how to extract the weapons already existing from the files. Can I get a biff extractor at TeamBG? I have the Infinity Engine Editor Pro from the dev. section. Which biff tool should I use for this? There are a couple different ones listed on the webpage.

So, i could grad one of those axes, change the graphics for the axe and the name and prof. and it should work eh?
Thanks for the help.

Old 02-07-2001, 03:58 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

That's the idea. As far as the TeamBG files to download, I'm not sure. I thought I had gotten the correct ones, but it didn't work. I'll have to check out their site and peruse the downloads. Or maybe I didn't put them in the correct folder.

Make sure that in addition to changing the picture you also change the proficeincy type needed to use the weapon. I'm sure you were thinking that, but you didn't mention it in your last post -- just wanted to remind you.
Old 02-07-2001, 04:13 PM   #5
Jon the Hell Caster

go to www.gis.net/~yos they might have a tutorial to help you!!!!
Sorry I always wanted to do this so

Y^

^
^
^

^
^

Old 02-08-2001, 12:16 AM   #6
Megilindar

This is the easiest thing to do. First you need two programs. The first is the Infinity Explorer, with that program you can view cre files, item files and 2da files. You can save them in a directory and have them, ready for editing. Next you need Infinity Engine Editor Pro, with that open up the item files you picked, prob the dwarven thrower would be best. You can change the requirements, make it a +5 hammer if you want, it is pretty easy, just explore around and you'll find what each function does.

Old 02-08-2001, 12:22 AM   #7
Kalgrog

After a few tries and many BG2 lockups, I finally got the weapon to work right. I was able to modify the usability and thaco and damage bonuses for the dwarven thrower to make it into the Aegis-fang for Wulfgar, but everytime I tried to change the id texts it would not work. So, I just left the dwarven thrower id texts and descrip.s. That's the only thing I can think was causing the problem, because otherwise I made all the same changes besides the id text and it worked. Oh, i also didn't change the str requirement to 18/00 this time either. So it still says dwarven thrower on it but it is modified thac0 and dam. I would like to be able to rename the weapon and add my own item descriptions but that always locks it up. Or the str requirement does it?

Why would that be causing a problem?

Old 02-08-2001, 04:50 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

There is a warhammer you can use. It's called Dwarven Thrower. Use that as a template. You'll need to edit the usability as it is only usable by dwarves, but that should be easy. The CLUA code is HAMM06 (but you may want to double check using Shadowcheater). Then you can check all the variables to make sure that they are what they should be.

BTW, you don't really need biffstripper to do this. Just pull out the ITM file and edit it using IEEP.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:16 AM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Memnoch,

Please explain, "Just pull out the ITM file and edit it using IEEP."

Infinity Engine Editor Pro??

I extracted all of the *.itm files last night and made a warhammer similar to the one Kalgrog described (using the method I described above -- although the throwing graphic isn't right, the melee v. thrown choices aren't labeled, and the hammer still glows red).

I couldn't find load *.itm files into Itemmaker (IEEP) without first extracting them from the *.biff files. I could load only the files in the Override directory. If I'm missing something, just let me know.

Thanks,

Father Bronze
Old 02-08-2001, 03:57 PM   #10
Megilindar

Tell me exactly what the id problem is, I don't understand why you couldn't change it, it is just a text box you can type in right?

The strength requirement can be changed through the attributes window. Also in the third part of the editor you might have to play with the types of damage and ammo and that sort of thing if the attribute problem isn't resolved.