Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 12:08 PM   #61
Vampire

I'm quite intelligent. But not rich...YET. I have every intention and ambition to do so. I am studying MEng at Electronic Engineering at Cambridge 1st Year. Hoping start my own company and get rich on robotics, communications and all that stuff. That is if this stupid E market doesn't collapse on me first.
Err.. why can't we be rich and smart and still come here? I like this place. Sure you can argue it's for loosers who don't have a real life. But who cares what other people judge.
I believe that (only to a certain degree) that as long as you have found what makes you truly happy then what others say ir irrelevent.

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 12:10 PM   #62
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
That is if this stupid E market doesn't collapse on me first.
Err..
Too late

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-06-2001, 12:12 PM   #63
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Very good point, Avatar. As I am still in school, you will just have to wait and see whether I become a billionaire or end up living off welfare .

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 09-06-2001, 12:15 PM   #64
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Wow, this is the first chance I've had to look at this thread.

When I first read 250's post, I was laughing out loud, because I thought it was a "joke" thread like Mouse' "What I've learned" thread from a day or so ago. I really enjoyed it.

Then I realized, 250, that you were serious.

I can't really say one way or another, 250, what constitutes "success" for most people. I do know that "smarts" isn't all there is. I would rather be friends with someone who had heart than someone who was smart; although, given my "druthers", I'd take one who had both. However, give me heart over head any day. Now that may be stupid to some, but not to me. I'd rather have someone around who cared deeply and passionately about something, rather than someone who sits back and drily analyzes and dissects something with little or no emotion.

I myself have a Ph.D. in Management Science/Statistical Analysis. I specifically chose NOT to enter the area of university teaching and research because I found it ultimately limiting and unrewarding. One is forced into a life of endless publishing trying to grub to make "tenure", and having to neglect one's teaching functions in the meantime (to the detriment of the students, whom you never get to know or see how you affect them). I gave that up and went to work at a technical institute, for MUCH LESS PAY than I could get as a tenured prof, but because of the other rewards inherent in the job. Our school, International Business School, has a population of students that most would consider to be "high-risk". Most of them are high-school dropouts. We have more students studying for their GED's (General Education Diplomas) than those who have actually graduated high school. Many of them are single mothers with 3+ kids, living at poverty level; some of them in an abusive environment. We can't help everyone, and of every 4 that enter, 1 drops out. But for those 3 that stay...you see a metamorphosis like that from a caterpillar to a butterfly. I see these students come in, dragging, when they first enter school. They look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They look frumpy and dumpy; no one has ever had the courage or the caring to let them know that they can look great. Most of them have self-esteems that are in the toilet. We take these people and educate them, give them job skills, provide a social outlet for them, teach them how to groom themselves and prepare themselves for a job in the workforce. When they cross the stage at graduation, we see beautiful people...people who are proud, who hold their head high, who feel great about themselves for once in their lives. When I can look at the effect that I have had on these human lives and can say to myself, "I helped that person," well, 250, it kind of puts making billions of dollars way back on the back burner.

That is not to say that I am a financial mess. I save money regularly, have a 401K plan through my company, etc., etc. But it isn't the be-all, end-all of my existence.

250, I have a question for you, since you are on the subject of self-improvement. Why did the poll on "stats" in User Created Polls offend you so much? The answer to that may be a telling insight on what's bothering you within. Just a thought.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 01:30 PM   #65
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
if everyone is so smart here, why dont I see any mutibillionaire here? why is everyone getting up so early to go to work and work his ass-off for a pay check?

if everyone is so smart here, why I sometimes see you get into a life full of crap and mess?

if everyone is so smart here, why are you working from Janurary to May just to pay taxes?

if everyone is so smart here, why are you so physically weak? I mean, a intelligent guy sure knows how to descipline his mind, and force himself to work-out

if everyone is so smart here, why cannot you answer the question that you are so very screwed up and you cannot help yourself but to hide somewhere, and thinking yourself smarter than everyone else?

your intelligence does not make up your health, your personal strength, your social ability, your intellectual skills, and it certainly wont make you look good. so stop braging and start improving yourself

intelligent DON'T make up everything!!

whoever is offended most by this post, know that you are the one that I am talking about here

Self Appointed Idiot Basher
What an idiotic post. You should definitely start bashing yourself.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:35 PM   #66
Vampire

I didn't dare to say that. I thought 250 was a sensible person.
But HEY we all have our moments of madness hey? I once posted IWD as worst RPG ever, and boy did I get fried for that!

------------------
Old 09-06-2001, 03:46 PM   #67
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
What an idiotic post. You should definitely start bashing yourself.
smartass
Old 09-06-2001, 03:47 PM   #68
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
smartass

Please reply to my post.

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH
and the HADB &
Sultry Elflet

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #69
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Please reply to my post.

catgory #1:

I am shy and too nervous to open myself, so I hide in my own mental barrier. I tend not to communicate with others, so I become more and more indifference to others. then what happens is, I crawled on something I like (internet maybe), and spent days and nights with it. (then more shits come in: fear, laziness...)

I dont work out because I dont like to. so what? hey! at least I am smarter than most people I know!

I think I am smarter than 90% of the population. so I dont need everything else, all I need is my intelligence!

Deux's comments:

what the F***, is everyone here smarter than 90% population? oh that is funny, because that is what everyone says/believes. I don't believe this shit. and if you have a problem with it, sue me.

also, if one is so smart, then why is he in those traps that other 90% populations are in?

the only two people I met worth an intelligent score of 18 is Milo (and maybe Yorick, I have a lot respect for those two people). it just pisses me off when everyone claims to be as smart as them.

if you dont fit in that catgory #1, butt off, because that is the people I was directing to. although it might be unnecessery. (now I sound like Ken)
Old 09-06-2001, 04:12 PM   #70
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:

catgory #1:

I am shy and too nervous to open myself, so I hide in my own mental barrier. I tend not to communicate with others, so I become more and more indifference to others. then what happens is, I crawled on something I like (internet maybe), and spent days and nights with it. (then more shits come in: fear, laziness...)

I dont work out because I dont like to. so what? hey! at least I am smarter than most people I know!

I think I am smarter than 90% of the population. so I dont need everything else, all I need is my intelligence!

Deux's comments:

what the F***, is everyone here smarter than 90% population? oh that is funny, because that is what everyone says/believes. I don't believe this shit. and if you have a problem with it, sue me.

also, if one is so smart, then why is he in those traps that other 90% populations are in?

the only two people I met worth an intelligent score of 18 is Milo (and maybe Yorick, I have a lot respect for those two people). it just pisses me off when everyone claims to be as smart as them.

if you dont fit in that catgory #1, butt off, because that is the people I was directing to. although it might be unnecessery. (now I sound like Ken)
Bloody Hell!!!
First of all, I was asking you to respond to my post, which you haven't done in any way. I am still extremely pissed about the matter I talked of in that post, and would love to hear an explanation.

Second, don't you think you're making a huge and wholly unjustifiable generalisation???
What, maybe 25 people responded to the Real Life Stats poll, and here you say EVERYBODY feels they're more intelligent than the average human. Where in the Nine Hells did you get that information???

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH
and the HADB &
Sultry Elflet

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art