Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #21
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
I feel the domestics (such as chevy) do get a bad rap. Cars these days are MUCH more reliable, and comparing a complex 4x4 vehicle (like the Jimmy) to a FWD passenger car (like the Corrolla) just isn't a fair comparison.

Look back even 20 years, and it was very common to scrap cars that were even 5 years old, let alone 7 or 8. Complaining about having to fix a 7 year-old car also is not very fair.

And just because one person you know has owned a car for 10 years without repairs, but only drives it 10,000km a year doesn't mean the car is any better than a 7 year old car that needs fixing at 200,000km. There are a lot of factors to consider here.
Having to replace the engine on a car with under 100,000 miles on it is rediculous. That was what I had to do, so I think I was well in my right to complain
Old 01-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #22
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
haven't been on for ages,
anyway thanks heaps for your replies
still not ready to buy just yet but your advice is helpfull
thankyou
My suggestion would be to buy a cheap banger and drive that for a few years until you have a bit of experience under your belt. The amount of young blokes that prang their first cars is very high. If you've just paid for something that is expensive, your asking for grief.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers, Skip.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #23
quietman1920

I had a very bad experiance with a Dodge/Chrysler product once. I bought one.

Leaving the exploding headgasket and the fights with the warranty company that screwed me over aside, I have to say it was still a below average experiance.

OK, carping aside, the TV News the other night said prices on second hand cars were at a historical all-time low. Given that, I'd say get yourelf a nice Used Car.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:20 AM   #24
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
quote:
thankyou
My suggestion would be to buy a cheap banger and drive that for a few years until you have a bit of experience under your belt. The amount of young blokes that prang their first cars is very high. If you've just paid for something that is expensive, your asking for grief.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers, Skip.
[/QUOTE]yeah I'm deffinatly considering that
how much would you pay for something like that?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:44 AM   #25
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
quote:
quote:
thankyou

Just my opinion though.

Cheers, Skip.
[/QUOTE]yeah I'm deffinatly considering that
how much would you pay for something like that?
[/QUOTE]Giday Intrepid,

Been living in the UK for the last 10+ years, so haven't a clue what the price of second-hand cars are now. I'd have thought $1000 would be plenty to pick up a good condition old Holden or Ford. If you like your wheels hot, you can't go far wrong buying a HR or even EJ/EH Holden for peanuts and spend a bit doing her up. You mentioned mechanics in the family. Spare parts are dirt cheap and the engine is a block with a carbie on top, and an exhaust out the bottom. Basic! Even a monkey can work on them, unlike modern cars which you need a degree to understand, and even then, when you adjust one thing it puts everything else out of whack! The money you have left, (you mentioned something like 5-6000 I seem to remember) invest it in land. You can't lose.

Cheers, Skip.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #26
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Today, I bought my first vehicle, A 2003 grand caravan. Sweet deals right now as they have dropped prices on last year models by $10,000. Minivans are great especially when you compare them to SUV's.
They have just as much room, far better on gas, and about twice as cheep for purchasing, and insurance is lower.

[ 01-13-2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 01-13-2004, 11:22 AM   #27
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:
I had a very bad experiance with a Dodge/Chrysler product once. I bought one.

Leaving the exploding headgasket and the fights with the warranty company that screwed me over aside, I have to say it was still a below average experiance.

OK, carping aside, the TV News the other night said prices on second hand cars were at a historical all-time low. Given that, I'd say get yourelf a nice Used Car.
Yeah, I also here they used to (at least older models did) have major problems with rust.

Quote:
Giday Intrepid,

Been living in the UK for the last 10+ years, so haven't a clue what the price of second-hand cars are now. I'd have thought $1000 would be plenty to pick up a good condition old Holden or Ford. If you like your wheels hot, you can't go far wrong buying a HR or even EJ/EH Holden for peanuts and spend a bit doing her up. You mentioned mechanics in the family. Spare parts are dirt cheap and the engine is a block with a carbie on top, and an exhaust out the bottom. Basic! Even a monkey can work on them, unlike modern cars which you need a degree to understand, and even then, when you adjust one thing it puts everything else out of whack! The money you have left, (you mentioned something like 5-6000 I seem to remember) invest it in land. You can't lose.

Cheers, Skip.
Hey skippy
Yeah an old holden or ford is a deffinate possibility, i hadn't really thought of that before, and doing it up would be fun .
Although i think i'll use the rest of the money for other things, like University or something, deffinatly land later on.
Anyway thanks for your suggestions, I'll seriously consider the old Ford or Holden and as you say replacment parts are really cheap, so that is anothe bonus.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #28
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I got my first car about 2 months ago, Its a 1985 La Baron (i think thats spelled right) Its yellow and convertable, only cost me 500$ and it has low miles for its age only 46k miles on it
Old 01-13-2004, 12:58 PM   #29
Dagon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what ever you get please , for the sake of all that is good and decent get windows tinted colored rims ect!
there are too many about of these place
in my opinion it is simply declaring to the world that you have to compensate for something
Old 01-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #30
Nerull
Lord Ao

Well, now I have to get a new car myself (my entire engine went out). I will be probably be getting another Japanese car, but I will shop around a little more this time (the bus system gets me to work very reliably, and my savings aren't that great right now, so I'll take my time and shop around).

However, I will say this: never buy a Mazda, Buick, or Mercury. I owned all three at one point, and all of them were nothing but trouble. This most recent car was a Mazda, and it didn't even make it to 90 thousand miles, even with regular maintenance.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin